• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

brushless conversion help

fletch101

Hey everyone. First time straying into  the rally section. One me mates wants his car converting too electric 

It's an old hpi rally  car with Scooby body1/10 

Think I'm going for a 80 amp turnigy combo from hobby king as he's on bit of budget and I use turnigy on my hyper st and it's got bags of power. What  kv do people reconmend and what kind of pinion teeth do people reconmend 

Thanks 

Scratch made battery box and scratch  made motor mount. I refitted rollover bar right at back to run the motor wires over the top and keep them secure pluss i thoguht it made the car look more standard

Just so you all know. It  was made for practicing  with milling machine and not just buying parts and help too keep costs down. Motor mount was made with a large degree of adjustment for different pinnion combos 

Edited by fletch101

I was wanting  too keep much standard as possible for now. He'll  be wanting controller  and receiver soon as they are old crystal type. Pluss i suspect the servo won't last long as the throttle servo broke while I was standing. Me thinks when I change them I might re arange.

The esc  is double sided taped down and the trimmed out original battery  tray is a hollow shell pinning esc down and as bit of a splash guard( motor and esc are waterproof  anyways ) 

If I was putting battery on other side. I'd have too alter servo location too 

I should point out the body sticks out past the wheels anyways so although  the battery sticks past the chassis it's not very bad :) 

20151215_080456-800x450.jpg

40 minutes ago, fletch101 said:

I was wanting  too keep much standard as possible for now. He'll  be wanting controller  and receiver soon as they are old crystal type. Pluss i suspect the servo won't last long as the throttle servo broke while I was standing. Me thinks when I change them I might re arange.

The esc  is double sided taped down and the trimmed out original battery  tray is a hollow shell pinning esc down and as bit of a splash guard( motor and esc are waterproof  anyways ) 

If I was putting battery on other side. I'd have too alter servo location too 

I should point out the body sticks out past the wheels anyways so although  the battery sticks past the chassis it's not very bad :) 

20151215_080456-800x450.jpg

Throttle servo ? You don't need one now 

Also, if the esc is waterproof, that's even more reason to get rid of the receiver/battery box !

some help and advice on your conversion.

with your motor and batery on the same side your putting a lot of lean into that chassis, so its going to feel a bit weird.
if you look at your machine from above the whole left side is filled with an esc-rx and a servo right up the front.
behind the motor is a nice area to house the esc, just intront of the motor a huge space to allow for your rx and or esc.

where you removed the esc and rx is a nice space you could now mount that battery box to , your motor +esc+rx will be a small amount less in weight
but will balance that chassis out alot more. it also means your able to keep the battery more inside chassis ;) 

have a look car facing forwards you at rear, rear left side is packed with all the rubbish stuff taking up space . motor is center mounted so forces battery out into the side skirt of body. if we remove that plastic covering and esc-rx we can slip your battery here maybe ? , then we can shift the esc to behind motor, and the rx up in the front of the motor side.
a more refined layout allowing for a more balanced chassis and maybe even bigger battery packs 3s on its side instead of lay flat. 

Thanks I was worried about the weight on one side but after trying.  It does sit level and handel well. I didn't want to spend vast amount of time on it to find out me mate wasn't going too keep it for long. Letting him have a good bash with it then letting him make his mind up after a while. If he wants too keep then I will do a re arange  with better layout :) 

I was stuck for time too get it done and back for him. Limited work time on it. 

Pluss does anyone know what Base the chassis  is as I only know it's a hpi and old lol

I was going to put battery on the left but would mean messing with the servo mounting and mounting the reciever . He's getting a fly sky reciever soon so thought best do the whole rearrange at once. Only 2 clips hold the whole left side of things onto the chassis. So is easy too clean too :)