• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Top end (head) conversion kits more CC's!

Caffdog

As per title guys after sole advice of these head/top end conversion kits! 

Ive done a search but found nothing but electric conversion stuff.gayyyyyy! 

Found a 30.5 cc kit for my CY23 motor in a dbxl! 

How hard are they to fit, any special tools/know how needed or will basic mechanical knowledge and a bit of enthusiasm carry me through? 

The he kit consists of a bigger head 30.5cc and stroker crank kit 

Don't waste ur money on head kits 

If u want power then go for 2mm stuffed stromer crank kit with36mm cylinder head kit on ddm or where ever u can find it,

I been there done that 

Trust me blood,

2mm crank plus modified,not ported,head kit is a beast of a combination.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Caffdog said:

Ive done a search but found nothing but electric conversion stuff.gayyyyyy! 

Congratulations, insulting largescale BL owners and the gay community in one line. Please keep personal, homophobic comments to yourself  -_-

I'd take the advice given of not wasting your money on a head kit, but buying a head kit....:rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, fasi said:

Don't waste ur money on head kits

If u want power then go for 2mm stuffed stromer crank kit with36mm cylinder head kit on ddm or where ever u can find it,

I been there done that

Trust me blood,

2mm crank plus modified,not ported,head kit is a beast of a combination.

Cheers.

So you tell him not to buy a head kit in the first sentence then tell him to buy a 36mm head kit in the second sentence?

So with that I'll be bold enough to say that don't know what you're talking about, blood.

I was a bit thrown by the "blood" comment.

a bit of information overload left me confused now. Id be happy enough with the power I have now but as its a used motor I can't really be sure how much use its had without pulling it apart, which if I was going to do, I might aswell rebuild it myself with a head kit given the relatively low cost of parts. 

If your going to rebuild mate, you just need gaskets, crank bearings, crank seals and a piston ring.

Depending on your cylinder still being serviceable.

Whip the head off and check for scores in the cylinder, if it's all smooth then your good to go.

Btw if your motor is 29cc then you need a 36mm piston ring.

Innovative rc is good for engine spares. ;)  

44 minutes ago, Caffdog said:

I was a bit thrown by the "blood" comment.

a bit of information overload left me confused now. Id be happy enough with the power I have now but as its a used motor I can't really be sure how much use its had without pulling it apart, which if I was going to do, I might aswell rebuild it myself with a head kit given the relatively low cost of parts.

Just change the piston ring and gaskets and see how it runs, if you find the new ring gives it a new lease of life then happy days.

If you feel it's still lacking then look at a head kit.

Although with the price of a head kit MMR sell a G320 long block?

14 minutes ago, Caffdog said:

I have seen the long blocks actually but a head kit goes for as little as £60-70 all in.

Previous owner states the motor wasn't long converted to the 29cc top end and I have the old parts all of which are in top condition!

Would like to know where you have seen a head kit tat cheap?

There's a few the likes of ebay item no. 331159968425

mmr model tech do a 2 bolt 30.5 race ported with a +2mm stroker crank.  

Over a 29cc (unknown brand?) that I allready have how much benefit would I see from the mmr model tech set up with ported head and stroker crank?? Bear in mind in not racing just bashing but faster is fun right ? 

This exactly what I meant 

He is looking at only cylinder piston kits which are complete waste of money,

I am talking about head kit with stuffed crank shaft which will cost u around 200$ including fast eddie bearings and new seals.

Blood.

Stuffed crank = waste of pennies. Same, in my view, with any 'rc branded' bearings. They just re-package off the shelf bearings. Better quality bearings available at better prices from most bearing factors. People also fail to take into account the impact of a stroker crank on stock porting. I wouldn;t fit one unless I was fitting a head that had been ported for a long stroke motor.

Might I also add....that if your piston or head is worn or damaged....a 'cylinder piston' kit is not a waste of money.....Similarly, the only difference between a CY23cc and a CY29cc is the head and piston.

That aside.........

What sort of crankcase do you have? 4 bolt or 2 bolt..... If you have a 2 bolt bottom end, I wouldn;t bother spending any money on it, and would just save my cash for a decent 4 bolt motor. Much moe robust.

I had issues with cracking on ported heads on 2 bolt motors, so went 4 bolt.

How you approach a rebuild depends on your pocket. It may just want a quick overhaul and refresh, or it may be perfectly fine and just isn't as powerful as you would like it. Check the gearing it's running too. If it's overgeared, it won't run nicely. Same goes for exhaust choice. A poor pipe will strangle performance, and the wrong choice of good pipe may mean the pipe wants to work at different revs to the engine.

As far as engine choice goes...bigger is not always better. A poor 30.5 will get eaten alive by a good 26cc, so look for more than just a bigger number.

• Like 1

Some great info thanks !! 

Currently on standard dbxl bottom end which is a 2-bolt CY23.top end all I know is it's a 29cc head kit. How long it's been on the engine or what brand in unaware of. 

I have a samba pipe which I think is about the best for the money! 

If if it was up to me I'd actually rather buy a complete new engine as apposed to rebuilding the current one. Then I know where I'm at with a level playing field. 

Could getting a 4-bolt 26cc or 29cc zen be a better option? 

In the long run, you would be better off with a 4 bolt motor. My personal favourites are the ZenG290 and CY270. The CY is a nice balance of revs and torque in a Baja, but for a DBXL, I would probably fit the Zenoah.

May not be faster...but it will be more durable, and a better base if you want to add a tuned top end later on. Something like the ESP ported

Right, another question... 

Botnsure if if only the dbxl guys will know this one -_-

if if I were to buy an engine used on say an FG or a baja for example what would I need to use from my old motor in order to fit and start it! 

I know clutch, clutch housing is a must, I think pull start and fan housing also but anything else needed ?