• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Would a truggy be right for me?

Huh? 

I certainly do live in the UK the last time i checked. :D

It's been a long time since i started this thread (for me) - and i'm still nowhere near a decision. Well.. I made some, then talked myself out of that and into another one, etc - i was convinced i'm gonna get a Sabertooth, then a HPI Trophy - now, well. I'm sitting here, smoking head, trying to figure out what the smartest thing to do is. 

I've seen the Hyper ST a couple of times, but since the "Pro" was suggested, i dismissed it - i almost bought a Revo 3.3 with picco 2.6 engine for way too much money, blargh. Not easy to find an entry level hobby grade nitro that doesn't either screw you over or skin you out for the next 7 years. :(

The only thing that i'm absolutely certain by now, i do want a nitro. I've watched dozens (maybe hundreds) of videos over the last couple of days, and i do understand why people buy brushless or even convert their cars to brushless - but nitro seems to be for me. It's a bit like a car, some people can't see the value in a 30 year old car, because modern ones do everything better - but to me, there's that little something that is always missing. 

Not a head-thing, i do know that nitros have many drawbacks - it's a heart thing. 

edit: what i realized though, many of the cited truggies are discontinued models, in case of the hyper st for example.. What's the spare-part situation there?

Edited by m4inbrain

edit: what i realized though, many of the cited truggies are discontinued models, in case of the hyper st for example.. What's the spare-part situation there?

Hobao Hyper ST Pro and other parts for replacement seem plentiful - its the new kits they always tend to cease production of after they done their run.  Packaging boxes manuals adverts - assembly and all that.  So spare parts are EZ $$$ for the mfg'rs.  I suspect since we can get Hyper ST parts here in USA - should be jsut as easy in UK if not more so.  Ebay also seems pretty flush with goodies.  Truly the only big parts that might run out on a ST Pro

- F/R shock towers

- CNC Center Chassis braces

On an ST - once you buy those its very very rare to need to get more - kinda bomb proof

Then its mostly body posts, lower arms and CVD driveshafts.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-st-truggy-rtr/rc-car-products/26445

the rtr may be a good fit - could learn how to get your nitro groove on with that.  I always end up adding CNC parts, then real servos, then real tires/wheels/foams, then a real engine and pipe,  That typically adds 1-2x the cost fo the rtr. Hence why I recommended a pre owned roller - so you could skip right to - adding the quality gear on there and rockin.  You end up spending it anyways eventually :-)

and since Im already geared up on electronics - I forget folks many times dont have the Tx/Rx gear for a pro kit.   I think you can get a good deal on a spektrum Tx and some rx's and dump the rtr radio gear.  Then do servos - steering first, then Throttle Brake

Yeah i gathered that, i guess i'm now on the other side of the fence (my mom bought a computer 2 weeks ago, try to explain why a 2.6gh dual core is not enough nowadays). 

Although, it's not that i don't understand what you guys are saying: it's just that i can't afford half the stuff you mention at the moment :P

Still, the Hobao Hyper SST Nitro, i assume it's a successor - worth looking into?

edit: hm.. Can't really find videos of that. Weird.

Edited by m4inbrain

Looking at these two right now. 

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-ss-cage-rtr-nitro-powered-truggy-black/rc-car-products/378607

and

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-ss-nitro-rtr-off-road-truggy/rc-car-products/376587

As i understand it, they're both the same, apart from the body (one cage, the other one truck). Correct? If so, is that a decent unit to begin with, or nah?

edit: can't find any comparisons to the Hyper ST, hmph.

Edited by m4inbrain

7 hours ago, sputnik said:

Hes in the UK .. im the oddball here that isnt.  Your side of the pond is where all the Hobao and Hong Nor luv is - hence Im a lurking usurper

Ahhh that's mad. The rare occasions I've got parts for the St. They have come from the USA lol

Well..  

Ordered an HPI Trophy 4.6v2 now. Mainly because the spare-parts are all readily available and reasonably cheap. Thanks for all the input though.

Small sidenote: i talked to a friend in the country i used to live in (germany) - he's jealous because you guys here can order Nitro online. You can't do that in germany, you have to pick it up in the store, and you need a personal id card to get it. ^^

• Like 1