• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First electric buggy for a newbie

stevepeanut

My mates missus has came to me for advice, she wants to buy him his first RC car for Xmas. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some choices. I know he wants to go electric and also he fancies something off road, either a buggy or truck. Needs to be a realistic budget of £100-200 and that must include everything needed to go out and use it. Also she is looking to buy a new one, so no second hand choices would be suitable. I'm hoping with that budget, we might just be able to get him onto something with brushless and Lipo, as he's very impressed with the speed and running times of my savage truck.

So what would suitable? I've had cars for years, but I'm a bit stuck with this one.

thanks in advance,

Something like this maybe.

Many people may doubt it because its hobbyking but so far ive heard good reviews and its plently fast enough on 2s lipo.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=75568 (price changes to £104 when you log into an account)

Worth noting a lipo isnt included but you can get a pretty decent 2s for around £20

I run a few of these and they are brilliant for the money http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38479

Personally I'd stay clear from hobbykings buggys etc. There great for batteries and everything else but there vehicle's are high maintenance (coming from experience) for what you would spend out on upgrade parts you might as well buy a decent one to start with, on that budget your not going to get anything amazing. Traxxas/Hpi brushless setups looking at 250ish. Brushed setup about 200 or under.

Something like this maybe.

Many people may doubt it because its hobbyking but so far ive heard good reviews and its plently fast enough on 2s lipo.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=75568 (price changes to £104 when you log into an account)

Worth noting a lipo isnt included but you can get a pretty decent 2s for around £20

I run a few of these and they are brilliant for the money http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38479

It comes with a 540 motor and a 40amp esc!.....Far too small, it will cook even on 2s. The car is too heavy. The front and rear ends including arms bulkhead and probably diffs come from the Kyosho DBX (which i have) everything in between is different tho. Its practically a 1/8th scale and those electrics will not be up to the job.

I don't agree with the statement that hobbyking cars are high maintenance, I've got a Basher bsr Rally and my nephew has a Hpi trophy buggy flux and I'm fixing that way more than my Basher and I use mine more.

The hobbyking Rattler that someone put a link for, my mate has that car and he makes it fly, big air, it's quick on the  standard esc and motor as well the only problem he has had with it is a leaking front shock. It's a great budget car, well worth the money. 

Also someone put a link to a FTX Vantage, hobbyking has the same car called a Quanum Vandal but it's half the price, I don't work for hobbyking but me and a few of my mates have got hobbyking cars and don't get problems with them as much as people suggest and there prices are good.

I have the Basher Sabertooth. Great car. Does 40mph+ out the box on 2x 2s batteries. Doesn't come RTR though. Only had 2 things break on it after smashing into rocks but they're cheap and easy to replace.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Hobbyking vehicles are hit and miss. The 2 nitro ones i had came with manufacturing defects. Things out of place etc some people say they have no issues. So poor quality control. Parts come from china so order spares when you order the buggy. Your all saying dont get ftx but on the budget he said what more can he get??

Hobbyking vehicles are hit and miss. The 2 nitro ones i had came with manufacturing defects. Things out of place etc some people say they have no issues. So poor quality control. Parts come from china so order spares when you order the buggy. Your all saying dont get ftx but on the budget he said what more can he get??

On a budget I would get the Vandel from hobbyking as it is a FTX just rebadged.

They have a RTR in the European warehouse at £77.84. Postage isn't much more than UK warehouse I've just got my Turnigy Trooper from there quick delivery and no customs charge.

• Like 1

My input and advice ... for bashing.

1. 1/8th scale [ or traxxas 1/10th - tmaxx ]  - trucks, not a buggy.

- because 1/8th scale diffs

- because 1/8th scale shocks

- because 1/8th scale cnc upgrade parts and chassis durability

2. 4WD Only

3. Avoid center transmissions - get a vehicle with a differential - i.e .... TRUGGY

ready to run with batts and charging and radio setup for 200 pound ?  good luck even with 1/10th scale stuff.  He'll likely end up just having to re-buy everything as upgrades.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...