• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas X-Maxx.

Tug

I will be getting at some point. Yeah it will possibly need upgrades along the line but hey, that's what we do. Shocks and springs can be adjusted so just go from there. I won't be using it for racing just bashing so as for handling, it's not going to be a racer just a bit of fun. As long as it can stand up to medium grass a mild jumps I'll be happy.

Can it break a Traxxas tradition, can it survive bad landings and cartwheels? 

A lot of talk on URC about the crown gear being sintered, anyone on here care to elaborate on what this means? I know we've got at least one metallurgist, but I can't remember his name. Is it all down to cost that stops Traxxas going hardened? I could Google it, but an explanation that is RC specific would help myself and others who're interested understand. 

Sintering is just another way of making metal parts. Instead of melting it uses particles of the metal and presses them together at a high temperature. You can do it with any metal powder but it's used usually on metals which are a pain to work with. I'm guessing with the numbers Traxxas will make, it's cheap for them to do this rather than cut each one out of a solid bit of steel etc. Unless a metallurgist says to the contrary, i don't know why these wouldn't be hard wearing.  

• Like 2

Can it break a Traxxas tradition, can it survive bad landings and cartwheels? 

A lot of talk on URC about the crown gear being sintered, anyone on here care to elaborate on what this means? I know we've got at least one metallurgist, but I can't remember his name. Is it all down to cost that stops Traxxas going hardened? I could Google it, but an explanation that is RC specific would help myself and others who're interested understand. 

I don't recognise lots of comments in this thread my slash has been beasted for 50 packs or more and it's broke 1 front A- arm its primary use is 3s on the original electrics,  last night  in this thread the  merv was the worst rc IN THE WORLD and now Traxxas cars can't survive a bad landing! I'm either very lucky or I don't bash as hard as some.

• Like 2

I don't recognise lots of comments in this thread my slash has been beasted for 50 packs or more and it's broke 1 front A- arm its primary use is 3s on the original electrics,  last night  in this thread the  merv was the worst rc IN THE WORLD and now Traxxas cars can't survive a bad landing! I'm either very lucky or I don't bash as hard as some.

The Slash is a closed wheel design, so the shell absorbs a lot of the impact. On any of the Traxxas large MTs, any one wheel or awkward landing is likely to break something. Trust me, this I know. Wishbones snap, shocks get pulled apart, bulkheads and towers break, there's quite a list of fragile parts on the Maxx and Revo platforms. 

Sintering is just another way of making metal parts. Instead of melting it uses particles of the metal and presses them together at a high temperature. You can do it with any metal powder but it's used usually on metals which are a pain to work with. I'm guessing with the numbers Traxxas will make, it's cheap for them to do this rather than cut each one out of a solid bit of steel etc. Unless a metallurgist says to the contrary, i don't know why these wouldn't be hard wearing.  

Cheers for that, it gives me a start on understanding.  

Ugh, plastic diff cases riding on the bearings /puke

I'm not a fan - plastic diff cases, but if well designed, it may support enough to avoid disengaging the gears - good thing; saves weight - good thing; is cheaper - good thing.

Sintering - I 'Googled' it to clarify - excellent simple description. When you start reading, it gets 'ugly' if done badly.

Al.

Don't bash hard enough mate - or you respect your RC and your bank balance!!

I've thoroughly enjoyed my Traxxas products when I've 'bashed' in the past.

I've made my MERV scary - one point it was geared to a theoretical 100 mph - must have got it to about 70+ before I ran out of room. Front end didn't contribute much over the grass at this speed so its geared down again - smaller wheels! Changed ESC permitting better Spur / Pinion set-up as well.

Castle powered. The innards aren't made for this power / speed, but that was me, and basically that's RC - making your ride individual. I've no doubt if I used it a lot, I'd rip it to pieces.

Full circle now .... can the X-Maxx cope?

Broken record time ... let's see in 7 weeks' time, or sooner .....................

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

Considering whether or not to strip the diffs out and check 'em before bashing it.....we do tend to believe rtr means ready to rebuild.

That wouldn't be a fair test of durability though would it??

Comments welcome

Considering whether or not to strip the diffs out and check 'em before bashing it.....we do tend to believe rtr means ready to rebuild.

Comments welcome

i check all diffs before use.  but if you want to do a fair test you could just rebuild them without any shimming or anything.

Comments welcome

the true test would be a quick tighten of things and then to bash the snot out of it.....that's what 90% of users will do

• Like 1

Which is the only fair test of how well Traxxas put it together and what level of QC was implemented.

I don't recall ever having had a Traxxas diff come dry or indeed fail before a first strip down, tho I have never run a Traxxas diff on more than 4s....

We'll have to wait and see!

But the maxx  diffs r quite big compared  to ever other  one of there diffs. ..that's not to say  it'll  b any better. ....but they should  of addressed there dodgy  diff issue on this new model hopefully.....considering its size /weight  ect. ....

I agree that you should just check everything's tight and run it as-is. Because, unless you strip-down and rebuild on ALL of your RTRs prior to testing, you've simultaneously given the truck an advantage, while also removing a key element that potential-buyers would be looking out for.

Edited by Praet0r87

Wilt it run on 4S btw?

if not I may as well sell them and replace with a pair of 3s before I solder on connectors?

My bad, I've been going over the specs on the Traxxas site and they're claiming 4 and 6S. Based on that, I'd reckon there's nothing Castle inside this ESC at all. I will always prefer the option of running 5S if I want to, so I'll be binning that ESC in favour of an Xerun or Max6.  

^^ likewise. May as well get use out of them before they fry, get replaced under warranty and sold on or stuck in something that is happy on 4s.:D

All very much unchartered territory with the X.... Exciting, innit! 

• Like 1