• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting Into Videography - Help Required Please.

CyclingSalmon14

Pretty simple I currently shoot video on small action cameras but want to expand my projects with a more versatile camera, however I have no idea where to start so hope you guys can help me. I have zero to minimal interest in photos.

First I should start by saying I have a budget of only £250 but if its worth it I will stretch to 300 if absolutely necessary but really want to avoid this. I am well aware of what can be spent on this equipment but also know great results can be had on a budget if your not trying to win an award for technical picture perfection lol.

My subject is event coverage of RC ground and air meets, cycle events and full scale airshows I don't plan on any macro work. I plan to mostly work in 1080p or below but due to my subject 60fps is definitely on the want list and 720p120 is a great feature for me to...may throw in some action sports and odd bit of amature film for good messure.

The main thing for me is going to be good colour and low light or light contrast situations (think woods and forests).

Other than that I don't have a clue or know what I want or need, if it goes well i will save up and then invest in more prosumer equipment.

One thing to note is I'm not a fan of traditional home camcorder form factors so think video orientated stills camera will be better suited to me, removable batterys or good battery life is on the wants list along with decent stabilization and external mic port if possible but am happy to compromise some features due to my low budget.

Currently been looking at sony and panny bridge cameras and a few compact system cameras but its all starting to get a bit much to think about and take in haha!

Thanks and I appreciate any help given.

the new gopro black is pretty good to be honest. having said that, I've got myself a Sony Nex 5 recemtly for use with my hex on a gimbal - it's DSLR quality, interchangeable lenses etc compact but small enough to fly. you can get a second hand one off ebay within your budget. Have a think about what lens you want to get with it. If you want to spend a bit more you can get a nex 7 but to be honest the nex 5 does the job and you can get it a lot cheaper.

hope that helps. there may be better advice out there but as far as i know the nex 5 is the benchmark for dslr quality in a small flyable package.

I love gopros lol I have one or did and use many simular style cameras at the moment.

I dream camera would be A7 II or GH4R but way overkill for my skill.

Was looking into the nex and alpha 6000 still a bit much but good cameras no doubt about it...Haveing said that Im currently leaning towards the FZ200 as seen is for only £219 seems well reviwed and think it will do I want.

The End game is something like a VG30 or CX20 / HC100XE / things like that.

I torn between the FZ200 (or a good deal on FZ330) or a smaller cheaper CSC such as A5000...just gotta keep looking and learning hence this thread.

The only advantage to A5000 and simular is extra lenses but thats added cost and Im not really sure I need them at this stage.

Just to expand on my previous comments.

I have been testing the A5000 camera against the Edge + phone I got the other day as well.

Video on the Edge + is much better than on the A5000 even at the lower resolutions such as 1080p.

4K on the Edge + is pretty impressive for a phone,looks pretty good on my 4K 49" LGTV.

Likewise photos on the Edge + are also very good when viewed on the TV but the A5000 JUST has the edge (no pun intended) but it is a pretty close run thing,by my eyes anyway.

The phone as an "all in one" solution which also has the ability to make phone calls (as well as numerous other things) is hard to beat,it seems the camera is as much an important part of a phone these days than anything.

The A5000 is okay if you only want 1080p :)

I know what you mean in the camera department on phones...my note 4 has one of the best cameras you can get on a phone...the video is stella, and the stablization is like gymbal footage lol!!!

The A5000 I dod not know mucj about but when the A6000 came out it was raved about for its video abiltys.

Been further looking into the FZ200 and it looks like its the best video Im gonna get this side of £200, it dose offer some nice festures over my mobile.

Oh I work argos to BTW...only as a filler untill my new employment kicks of in 2016.