• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DBXL Brushless Conversion.

mond

SqRYEFL.jpg

There is also one on the opposite side. It's just how the plastic is shaped. Both of the cases I have are like this so it seems standard. Need to cut up a washer or two to fill it. Screwing it down tight will bend the metal plate and then the bit the motor bolts too doesn't have enough room to fit.

So I got a mail from DHL's customs people:

Charges due
Customs Entry £ 8.00
Import Duty £ 0.00
Import VAT £ 10.06
Total £ 18.06

So this is a real charge but it's also a con. Going to mail DHL today about it and ask what codes they're using for these items and what this customs entry charge is. I should just be paying duties.

The customs entry charge is DHL's own charge for processing the package through customs for you, and their sending out a letter for payment. Parcelforce has a similar charge amount, whilst Fedex is £13.

Filled the gap with some washer with an edge ground down. Here it is more or less mounted up. I think I'm going to ask a friend with a 3D printer to make me an ABS box/tray for the ESC and cap pack to sit in so I can place a shroud over it and have something to zip tie the wiring too. 

08PwnLT.jpg

l7QaLrx.jpgpfI62al.jpg

bFR17R1.jpg

My parts from Dollarhobbyz turned up! At least they were quick. Quicker than Amain anyway. 

Mounted up one of the battery trays. The aluminium used is really high quality, no questions about that but fitting it took a while. Still need to put the straps on but I think I might some more as they're not that long and I'd prefer something that goes round the sides as well, like a Losi 8 does.

voMDIuS.jpg

And the motor and mount in its' final resting place. Despite some earlier concern, the motors not going anywhere and the adjustment system looks good. Not sure about the MGM system but the other brushless conversions don't look as friendly when it comes to small adjustments on the meshing.

CQN6n0e.jpg

Looking good. The straps that came with my my kershaw design conversion kit needed cutting and then sandwich the straps between the battery tray and mounting plate. That way they're plenty big enough ;)

Test fitting things.

uPuF5HV.jpgDP1JCPg.jpg

Looks good in place. Weight is over the centre line and slightly towards the rear. Would like to try it against a petrol version, with the lower COG and easier weight distribution (those trays can be moved back and forth) I'm betting it would be a fun race.  Wondering if I can use a 8th scale battery tray for a 2S to power the RX and Servo and put it in that big old space opposite the servo. More cables and has to go over the drive line but would extend run times and avoid having to wire in a BEC.

jg1guVn.jpg

Going to fit some CV shields today and adjust the battery tray fittings. Hopefully new boots will turn up too. Should probably tidy up my work space as well...

Edited by mond
  • Like 1

Your car, your rules, but I'd choose BEC every time, no question. 

im open to any options or suggestions! 

Did you buy Full Force cv shields/guards? I had a set and they broke the first time I used them, so I made my own versions up out of 2mm lexan

Yes. That's not good news. I might reinforce with some fibreglass tape and shoe goo and see how they hold up.

The Castle BEC pro is nice kit. Then for slightly less coin there's the Turnigy dlux BEC, good range of voltage outputs, definitely worth a look. I have both, can't fault either. 

I always use 2mm bullets to connect them to the main power leads. 

I have female 2mm bullets paralleled off of the main battery cables on the ESC, then plug the BEC in to those. Then it doesn't matter what battery configuration you run, the BEC gets and gives the correct voltage.