• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Chassis Renovating............

chrisjw

The chassis on my car is 18 years old now & showing signs of wear.........I wanted to tidy it up a bit, particularly the topside of it............Has anyone used either of these products & are they any good?....or is there a better solution..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231369014370?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200974170606?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=500192637325&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I use Simoniz Tough Paint - Black.

I would rub the chassis down top and bottom with some fine sand paper to key it a little then take your time spraying, allowing each coat to dry before the next.

The wrap should be ok for the top side, on the bottom you could use some Gorilla Tape, they do various types of print for them..

That should renovate the chassis quite nicely!

• Like 1

Don;t use the Hycote hi temp paint. I have used it on exhausts, and until it gets properly baked....it's soft as poop. It's designed to cope with high temperatures which most paints burn off at. No way your chassis should get hot enough to need that :)

Vinyl wrap will end up tearing on the underside and getting scraped. You can always re-cover. One way to protect it is to get some thin lexan and make an underbody cover. That will protect whatever you use to paint/cover your chassis underside.

• Like 1

I'd jus leave the bottom. .unless it's a on road rc I can't see the point. ...as it's gonna look jus as bad in a few runs as it do now....plus. ..who looks at the underside anyway...apart from u...or if it's gonna Iive on a shelf...

It is an on road, but, to be honest, the underside isn't so important I suppose, as I can rub down & spray that from time to time when needed.........It's more the topside, so I think I'll try some of the vinyl wrap.................I just like to keep the car looking as clean & tidy as possible.

Edited by chrisjw

Don;t use the Hycote hi temp paint. I have used it on exhausts, and until it gets properly baked....it's soft as poop. It's designed to cope with high temperatures which most paints burn off at. No way your chassis should get hot enough to need that :)

Vinyl wrap will end up tearing on the underside and getting scraped. You can always re-cover. One way to protect it is to get some thin lexan and make an underbody cover. That will protect whatever you use to paint/cover your chassis underside.

I think I'll try some vinyl wrap in that case.