• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New purchase help? TBS Discovery Pro

Tatts

I've recently bought myself a TBS Discovery Pro premium package and plan on using it with my gopro 4 black. I've got 2 gensace 4s 4000mah batteries and had 2 outings with it (4 flights). I set the alarm at 3.8v with the first 2 packs and got about 6 minutes. I've since changed it to 3.6v (3.8v rested) and I got 8 & 9 minutes from the next packs. Now what is the best way to improve this? I have tried finding a dedicated forum for help but failed so I'm hoping we have a few people here.

Also, anyone else played around with the gopro settings for the best quality? (save me some time).

The kit for those interested...

F7752864-BF77-4FB8-88D7-F673AFB7F0B3.png

Edited by Tatts
  • Like 1

Sorry to say but that run time is about typical of what you will get.

These batteries are worth a punt

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?cwhl=GB&idCategory=1387&v=&sortlist=H&LiPoConfig=4

They trade off C rating for capacity so a 6600mah battery could be the same weight as your 4000mah and be about the same physical size so it will still fit in the same space.

As for the Gopro I found that 2.7k at 30fps works quite well.

You dont get the great frame rate that will give very clear slow motion but even with the 2.7k resolution and 30fps you get smaller file sizes that are easier to edit and easier for some PCs to playback and even if you convert it to 1080 after editing it still looks good.

• Like 1

That's an impressive set up you have there.

I had the TBS Disco, on 4S (I forget the MaH), I could get around 15 mins flight, this was pretty much naked though, when I added all the gear - gimbal and Go Pro it was more about 12 before I'd have to get it back.  This was using the 960kv motors.

If you want more time in the air then these are the set to go for - http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:750kv_30aesc

It won't be as sporty or punchy but if it's just flight, recording and FPV you want then they should offer good air time.

As for the Go Pro settings, always on 1080p, wide view with highest FPS I used - I have the Black 3+.

Also, best place by far for these is FPVLAB, this is where Team Black Sheep have their people on the Forum.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/forum.php

As for props, 9x5 or 10x5 Graupners were the ones..

Edited by HYPER-BOY

Lower kv 700-600kv motors

bigger prop say 11 - 12 inch if possible. 

lower kv means we now produce more torque and not speed, and more torque means we can throw a bigger longer prop.

so the prop size now jumps up, you go from like 8-9 inch props and have 11-12 inch props ( think a jet wing its short n needs speed - a glider is long wing and produces lift at lower speed )

this means we will produce the same lifting power as the 8-9 inch props , but at a slower speed of rotation , slower motor speed means less power used , less power used means longer flight time.

your motors will be rated for props, a good motor will tend to give you a table with prop size  rpm speed and how much lift in grams that prop and motor will produce. 

lets say a 600kv motor produces 800gr of thrust so all four motors produce 3200gr thrust ( just over 3kg) 

we know our craft weighs 1.5kg. 

now when we use half throttle our craft produces around 1.5-1.8kg thrust and the machine hovers, at full throttle it produces 3.2kg thrust

our craft weighs 1.5kg so we have enough power to punch out (climb at rapid speed )

to get the longest runtime say 40mins flight, your going to need 

atleast 400kv motors maybe lower.

huge 13-15 inch props 

and a big battery, when i say big i mean big like 10,000 to 15,000 mah  not your small 4000mah

this type of combo with a light wide frame is built for endurance. it will stay in hover at one place for over 40 mins in flight 

but its battery alone is nearly 2/3rds its total weight , so there aint no gopro live feed fpv etc etc etc all them fancy addons.

a gopro yeah maybe but thats about it otherwise more weight means more power used. 

disco's get around 6 to15 mins depending on battery. BUT i can tell you that a zippy compact 5000mah 3s soft pack should fit in the tail of a disco

as it fits inside my disco knockoff  like fpv frame 

Also bear in mind that 400kv motors and larger props will require more power than a 4S.

You will need to be looking towards 6S for that to be viable and then you are back to a large battery with not much run time.

Defo, wouldn't be feasible I think on this rig.

With DJI 2212's motors on a TBS Disco, 4000 mAH 4S 30C LiPo's, and Graupner 10 x 5's you should get around 15min air time if you don't try and fly it like a 250 FPV racer ;)

Normally the max KV motor you really want on 4S with 10" props is around 700-800, but in the UK our ambient temp is normally low enough that the motors don't really heat up. However, give it a go and give ita  try.... if you find the motors or ESC's are getting hot, reduce size to 9" props.

With DJI 2212's motors on a TBS Disco, 4000 mAH 4S 30C LiPo's, and Graupner 10 x 5's you should get around 15min air time if you don't try and fly it like a 250 FPV racer ;)

Normally the max KV motor you really want on 4S with 10" props is around 700-800, but in the UK our ambient temp is normally low enough that the motors don't really heat up. However, give it a go and give ita  try.... if you find the motors or ESC's are getting hot, reduce size to 9" props.

Yeah but the DJI 2212s are a bit of a gutless motor :)

My F450 had them and it flew well and for quite a while but it had no real performance,there are better to be had.

In my view for carting around a GoPro, gimbal etc the Disco is a compromised airframe - if you want fast and agile go for a FPV250, if you want a stable filming platform go DJI Phantom (or a knock-off clone).

I honestly cannot remember when I last took my Disco out for a flight, because I have taken my own advice (3x 250 quads for zooming around and acrobatics + Phantom clone with gimbal mount for arty video sessions) 

But I did not want to burst the OP's bubble, what with him spending a sizeable sum on the Disco pro ;)

Edited by Bunny_Basher

Thanks for all the inputs. I got the props wrong, they are 10x4.7 and the motors are sunnysky 980KV (will graupner 10x5 fit ok?). I was seriously thinking about 750kv or sunnysky 800kv but today with my alarm set at 3.5V (store that built it told me to use 3.3V) I got 10mins 1 second off one pack and 10 mins 10 seconds off the other. 10 seconds after landing the lipo's showed 3.7V and when I got back both the alarm and chargers say 3.8V so I may try 3.4V on the alarm?

The ESC's are Proflight V2 30A so should be ok should I wish to change motors. Not sure how I would set them up though, this is set up perfectly with these motors (50% throttle hovers perfectly).

If the 10C 6600mah will cope with my A draw I may just try them, I'll weigh my gesnace and compare. Are there any other light / slim lipos I can look for? Ideally around 5000mah? I don't mind paying up to about

Edited by Tatts

You can get lighter slimmer lipos but they will come with less capacity again.

With the 6600mah 10C one that should in theory be 66amps,if a 450 is getting that sort of power through it constantly I would be surprised.

If you get the 10x5 Graupners be aware the bore on them is 8mm so you will need an insert to take it from the 8mm down to either 5mm or 6mm depending on the shaft on your motors.

Also, (but I'm sure that you would already have done so) make sure you balance each of your props to minimise the jello effect.

Graupner props are normally quite well balanced straight out of the packet, but it does not hurt to double check, a little tape to balance a wayward prop can make a world of difference in reducing jello

Also, (but I'm sure that you would already have done so) make sure you balance each of your props to minimise the jello effect.

Graupner props are normally quite well balanced straight out of the packet, but it does not hurt to double check, a little tape to balance a wayward prop can make a world of difference in reducing jello

It was built by proflight UK so I'm sure they did this. I have some graupner on order so will look into how to balance them.

The multistar 6600mah should be ok if what you say is true, today I tried max amp draw and only once it went above 25A (35A for about 2 seconds) and that was me flying it silly like a 250.

The first thing I need is the gopro 4 link board so I can actually see what the gopro sees but no one in the UK has any :(

Www.blackeyeteam.de

In stock, from Germany, so no duty, or import costs. I've ordered stuff from Germany before and typically get it in 2-3 days.

Edited by Bunny_Basher

Send them an email asking if they can put it in a jiffy via signed for regular mail. The expensive overseas rate is because their website is set up to calculate overseas shipping for parcels sent via a courier (DHL).
Got to be worth asking, they can only say nien ;)

If you are very quick, I've found a UK supplier with 2x in stock @

Edited by Bunny_Basher