• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

Took delivery of  four 5000 mah lipos yesterday and balance charged each one and they all only charged to around 3000 mah, is this because they would have had a factory charge of 2000 mah and the charger recognized this and added only what was required ie the extra 3000 mah?

Also two of the batts only charged at 0.1amp while the others charged at 8.2 amps?

Thanks

The lipos will have had a factory charge in them ( storage voltage ), roughly fifty percent. The charger doesn't work on the basis of capacity though, just voltage- it'll pump in as much current as it takes until the cells reach 4.2v each and stay there, regardless of capacity- in this case it was 3000mah, yeah, until they were full.

What charge current did you select on the charger?- 5000mah lipos should be charged at 5amps, though it will depend on how powerful your charge is as to what the actual charge current is ( larger voltage packs will tend to charge at lower currents regardless of what you set, simply because the charger is limited by its output ).

The lipos will have had a factory charge in them ( storage voltage ), roughly fifty percent. The charger doesn't work on the basis of capacity though, just voltage- it'll pump in as much current as it takes until the cells reach 4.2v each and stay there, regardless of capacity- in this case it was 3000mah, yeah, until they were full.

What charge current did you select on the charger?- 5000mah lipos should be charged at 5amps, though it will depend on how powerful your charge is as to what the actual charge current is ( larger voltage packs will tend to charge at lower currents regardless of what you set, simply because the charger is limited by its output ).

Thanks Neil, another question answered. Charger was set to 5amps balance. Now all I need is delivery the car their  for and I'm good to go.

Edited by GRIFKILL

Hi guys and gals, i'm new to the forums but i would like to thank the people that have contributed to this thread as it has answered a lot of question i had on lipos, i have been running nimh for the last 2 years in my hsp car and they lasted well and the car was quick, but recently i purchased some 2s 4000mah 40c battery and screw me sideway this thing flies now, wheelspin galore even when i'm going 10-15mph and punch the throttle i get wheelspin on tarmac dread to think what it is like offroad, i've done some high speed running and i'm getting 40mph on stock gearing but i want to put my biggest pinion and do an ultimate top speed.

You really do have to change your drive style with lipos and try to get used to not pinning the throttle.

:angrymad:  :angrymad:  :angrymad: Bought this balance board,                                                                                                                                    

post-29807-0-77978900-1399405483_thumb.j

post-29807-0-77978900-1399405483_thumb.j

to charge two 2s lipos simultaneously, as usual without reading the full description and assuming it would plug straight into my charger.

Its got jst/xh points ok and TP points ?

What do I need to attach to the charger ?

Thanks

What is a good storage for 2 cell lipo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3.6-3.8v per cell- same with any lipo pack of any (total) voltage or capacity. Your charger should have a storage function, assuming it's not a total piece of junk.

• 2 weeks later...

If esc and motor are rated for 2s and 3s would running on a 3s battery with the max throttle toned down be similar to 2s running?

I guess different gearing would be needed for 2s and 3s running but trying to see what lipos to buy to on a budget to give the option of running 2s and 3s performance. Hope that makes sense

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You'll have to wait for Neill to answer the technical stuff but if the esc is set to lipo and it can run up to 3s then you won't need to do anything with gearing just put a 2s or 3s battery in and drive, check out hobbyking uk wharehouse for lipos they show all the dimensions so make sure they fit your rc before you buy.

Yes you would be better with a 3s battery and set the throttle end point lower because it gives you the option of setting it to it's limit when you require, I think this will only reduce your top speed but you will have more punch/take off power on 3s over 2s. I stand to be corrected of course.

Edited by GRIFKILL

If esc and motor are rated for 2s and 3s would running on a 3s battery with the max throttle toned down be similar to 2s running?

I guess different gearing would be needed for 2s and 3s running but trying to see what lipos to buy to on a budget to give the option of running 2s and 3s performance. Hope that makes sense

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

What Griffkill said pretty much. Lowering the throttle EPA ( after calibrating the esc to the radio ) will reduce max rpms- couldn't say it'll feel exactly like going from 3s to 2s but more or less the same effect. It isn't ideal though- BL motors are most efficient at partial throttle, but the BL escs are most efficient at full throttle- you'd just have to check temps and play with gearing if required. If you're on a tight budget ( find another hobby now before it's too late! :D ) I'd still favour buying a 2s and 3s lipo- plenty of cheap brands around that aren't total rubbish- look into hobbyking or one of the options on my Useful links page ( in my sig, near the bottom ). :)

• 3 weeks later...

Complete newbie and just moved up from a blitz to a savage, just got some Turnigy nano 5000mah 55-90c. To start off I have a Turnigy Mega 400w charger with a 10 amp powers supply, probably stupid question but would these charge quicker with a more powerful supply? the max charge on the unit says 20 amps. Also just had my first run and flipped it which is painful to watch for the first time until you fully accept the shell will get screwed anyway. Now the charger has a discharge and a storage setting. Should I just use the storage setting if I only use the car once a week. My final question is when do you balance the lipos, before a charge of before the set for storage or discharge? Thanks in advance.

After you finish storage charge will be fine 3.85 per cell. If you are not using them for a few days, 10 amp be ok 20/30 might suit you better. Depends on the voltage of what the charger can take and what watt power supply is

Complete newbie and just moved up from a blitz to a savage, just got some Turnigy nano 5000mah 55-90c. To start off I have a Turnigy Mega 400w charger with a 10 amp powers supply, probably stupid question but would these charge quicker with a more powerful supply? the max charge on the unit says 20 amps. Also just had my first run and flipped it which is painful to watch for the first time until you fully accept the shell will get screwed anyway. Now the charger has a discharge and a storage setting. Should I just use the storage setting if I only use the car once a week. My final question is when do you balance the lipos, before a charge of before the set for storage or discharge? Thanks in advance.

What PSU is it- what does it say the voltage output is ( or wattage rating )?

Depending on what charge current you use ( 5amps for a 1 hour charge, 10amps for 30 minutes ish ) and the voltage of the packs ( 2s or 3s? ), you may need a more powerful PSU for faster charges but I doubt it really.

Use the storage setting if you do only run the truck once a week- it'll charge the packs to ~3.8v per cell after your run and they are depleted, then just do a normal charge just before you plan to use them again.

The charger will balance the lipos as they charge- just connect both sets of leads to the charger ( main leads and smaller balance leads ) and select either Charge or Balance charge in the settings. Don't use fast charge, that skips balancing.

For more yummy lipo info, hit up my sig- the Tutorials page has all you could ever want to know... ;)

Afternoon folks, I've recently bought a Leopard V2 60A ESC and 9T brushless motor, I've always had brushed motors in the past and still use one on the Lunchbox, but now i've gone brushless on the Phoenix, I need to upgrade my NiMh batteries, im thinking 3S but haven't got a clue... can anyone advise me on the numbers id need to get to get the most out of my new motor set up please, cheers peeps... Oh, and im hoping for nitro killing wheelies...  :nasty:

2s might be better, does the Esc take 3s

Yeah it can handle 3S, up to 12.6 volts.. I think my motor combo might be somewhat under-rated...! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else find the wires on overlander lipos too big for the connectors? The wires from my ESC are 14 gauge and fit nicely into my xt60 plugs but the overlander uses 10 gauge and it well too big! 

yes. 

the reason for the much larger 10 gauge wire is because the battery has a bigger capacity / voltage

and this means more current is transported through the wires, so to be safe the wires are thicker to cope with that

extra flow of electrons through them. 

i have the same problem a Zcompact 5000mah 3s has 10 gauge wire, yet my 2200mah 3s has 14 gauge.

and yes i to am trying to put a 10 gauge wire into an XT60 connector lol

• 1 month later...

Will this balance board

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141320927959?nav=SEARCH

work with this overlander charger to charge up 2 pairs of saddles at once?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-touch-90watt-10a-output-ac-dc-charger/rc-car-products/379987

Edited by Peakey29

• 1 month later...