• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

At last! Progress made in Blackburn

naymo

Hello everyone, whilst out bashing at my local council run playing fields the ranger began to tell me that 'strictly speaking you are not meant to use these fields for rc as the cricketers have had a moan that they tear up the fields' btw i was using my savage xs and my 4 yr old his firestorm flux. I asked him if he could point out where we can run so he showed me. He said as no one uses this field you can run your big one there no problems. I asked him if there was anyone i could speak to at the council for permission to organise a more permanent area (got nowhere with him) since then the parks manager has contacted me saying if there is enough interest and that the meet ups are a bit more organised that they would hire this area out. There are a few conditions though one being insurance (brca?) Plus a risk assessment to be carried out which the BRCA have helped me with. So what I am asking is there anyone who has been in this situation themselves and do you have any advise?<br />

Cheers<br />

Nathan<br/>

best advice have rules and stick to them.  as one person being a idiot can stop the fun for everyone.   and if people start to come and watch you will need more rules and safety barriers.

Good on you for doing this, hopefully the local community, RC and otherwise get behind it.

My only input at this stage is noise - how close is it to existing housing and the possibility of the 'fallow field next door' being developed for housing.

At my old place there was a great outdoor tarmac RC course, well maintained and supported and went leased from the council (the 'land) a fair way from housing.  Over the years housing encroached, people we're people and they had restrictions put in place (no more gassers and restricted running times IIRC) - needless to say more housing and the odd violation (RC guy's are human just like everyone else) and the track was shutdown.  

I don't know whose money did the track / grandstands etc but a lot of people invested a lot of free time in the place only to lose it all.

Its something i have been pressing for a while now. The noise will not be an issue as the officials are well aware. The ranger i spoke to told me those with the little quads etc run there and no one bothers. Plus i ran my two bajas with dom pipes when they were there and they werent bothered, around three years ago i asked the local residents to attend a bash to see if the noise would be an issue and it didnt seem to bother them.

This area is in a far corner of the playing fields and a train runs past every ten mins so the locals are aware of noise. The area would only be used at preset times (i'm thinking one day over the weekend) to avoid the constant drone of nitro/gas pipes. The local aircraft club hire another side of the field and their jets are louder. I have been in touch with a local model shop and they are willing to pitch in too. What i need to do now is organise one test meetup and invite a representative from council and go from there.

I understand, but people move.... only takes one or two to whine.

Many moons ago I used to fly at an WW2 vintage Airfield, and you'd be surprised at the amount of noise complaints we had from people 1. moving into new house in the immediate area and 2. people moving into existing properties.....not like the airfield hadn't been in the same place for 60 plus yrs (and over time has gotten quieter and quieter.)