• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Strada MT Front drive issue?

npinks

I noticed last night the front wheels spin when held and throttled up, but if the left one touched the floor it stopped spining, straight away, the other side, would continue to try spin, as did the rear wheels (4x4)

I'm new to RC cars, so don't know if this is normal or a hand in pocket and buy a new part problem, I assuming the front diff needs to be looked at

thats normal.

the viscosity of the diff oil adjusts the amount of slip in the diff, but one of the wheels on the floor and the other off will allow transfere of power to the wheel that has no pressure on it.

I thought that's how it works, from reading but the left wheel loses traction straight away, (no power been transferred to the ground, very easy to stop) were as the right wheel will keep trying if I just put that down

Strada Diff's are pretty easy to get access to (just don't overtighten screws when rebuilding as plastic will strip) and from my experience pretty durable.

I've run a moderate B/L system in my SC, on 2S, for quite some time - mixed use bashing and racing, and when I came to service the diff's there was zero visible wear.

If you've got a new diff to exchange then fire away, before you do check the rest of the drivetrain over too - suspend her off the floor - spin one front wheel - does the other side rotate in the opposite direction (it should)?  Repeat spinning the wheel the other way and then the opposite side.

From your description it seems a pretty odd issue - please come back and share your findings.

• Like 1

new diff arrived and my already stripped car, was waiting to receive its new part

I have now, tested it and not only did it feel smoother when spining the wheels (the wheels did rotate in opposite directions) the power transfer it back, to all 4 wheels, when held the wheel spins, but touching one to the floor, it now remains under load and trys to spin, unlike before, but will stop if too much load is applied

Ive taken photos of the old diff, all the teeth look to be there, but i don't know if the diff had been looked at previously as the car was 2nd hand

I don't know, I should have opened the new one to compare, never seen inside one before

There was next to none left in mine when I stripped it after it's first winter.  Rebuilt her with marine grease (cheap and water resistant) - can't remember exactly what the recommended amount was (with silicone oi it's about 80% full to allow for expansion) but I seem to recall about 50% - that old one looks like it was completely packed with grease.