• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Total newbie

Shinman

Hi All,

I have just bought my first RC Nitro and I think I have jumped in with both feet!! I have bought the one below. I used to have a 7.2 v Traxxas Savage when the kids were younger (probably in the loft to be fair) but I thought I would go the whole hog and get one for ME.  

I know nothing about Nitro RC so I was hoping there was a local club where I could come & meet people who do know & learn & share, I am in Tettenhall, Wolverhampton. just by the Aldersley Village, any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Truck arrives on or around Friday this week. maybe Monday next dependant on the courier.

$_57.JPG

Edited by Shinman

XTM Monster MT. Not a bad truck, but keep an eye out for parts if you plan on using it hard. They can be hard to source.

Stock motor is a .28 unit. Should be nice and easy to tune. The XTM motors were rebadged Force units, and should be pretty newby friendly. Doesn;t look like your one has seen much action either. Looks in good shape.

The radio gear will be the older 40Mhz stuff, but it's pretty decent for it's time. You might want to upgrade to 2.4Ghz at some point, but the stock gear works well enough.

Thanks all for the welcome. The truck has hardly been used and the radio upgraded or so I have been told, I will put some more pics up when it finally arrives.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your first nitro truck! I'd have to agree with Nitroholic 2.4ghz is a worthy upgrade but 40mhz was pretty solid in its day too, I guess the cool thing about RC is that you can upgrade as much or as little as you want, when time and money permit... The main thing is to get out and enjoy whether its competition or bashing just enjoy it!!! Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Looking for help and assistance  :030:  :030:

Well the truck finally arrived this morning, I will put some pics up later tonight when I get in from work, it came with fuel but I'm not sure if I should be using this as the container looks old and well worn, what if any are the rules on old fuel & also I have read that I need after run oil??.. (any particular brand of fuel And after run oil I should order)? just ordered rechargeable batteries for the controller and the receiver which should be here later in the week

I think I will need help & assistance in initially getting the truck up & running and advice on any immediate repairs or upgrades that would benefit a total newbie.? I don't mind making a contribution for time spent  :thumbsup:

It depends on how old the fuel is - I'm still getting through a bottle of Optifuel which is about a year and a half old - my engine still runs fine and will do me well enough for bashing. If it looks mega old then it may be best to start from scratch with fresh fuel, either Optifuel or Byrons are what most use on the forum, however try to avoid fuels labelled "RTR" as they tend to have a high oil content and (in my opinion) can be of a lower quality compared to "race" branded fuel.

If it's still running the stock .28 engine then I'd look at getting yourself some 25% nitro fuel.

Something to bare in mind: if you change fuel brand or % then you'll need to return the engine to factory settings and re-tune.

Edited by James1986
  • Like 1

Fuel will age with time.

Firstly, it reacts with the moisture in the atmosphere, and collects it. This with time will make the fuel less and less effective.

Secondly, it reacts with UV light, and this starts to break down some of the active ingredients

Lastly, the volatile elements of the fuel evaporate, leaving behind the oil.

Hos long fuel stays 'good' depends a lot on how it has been kept and how it has been treated. If the top was being opened a lot, or it was left open more than it needed to, then it will go off sooner. Similarly, if it was left on a sunny windowsill or shelf, it will go bad sooner than stuff kept in a dark cool place. If in doubt....get fresh fuel.

Byrons is good but pricey... I run with Optifuel Race blend, and it's nearly as good and a fair bit cheaper. For a .28 motor, 25% will run nicely.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the advice. Much appreciated. I will order some fuel now as I have no way of knowing how old the supplied fuel is. Also the labels are all torn off so I don't even know if it's the correct fuel. Any offers to help me in getting it up and running once I have Al the bits together?????

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Pics as promised,

More questions, sorry guys

would you go roto start or leave it as is. what are the good & bad points for pull start against roto start or vice-versa
what 2.4Ghz radio would be a good choice, nothing too over the top, 

i dont plan on racing or bashing just have a little fun and learn as much as poss.

i know its a lot of questions but i am new to all this, i appreciate all your input and advice so far and if I can be of any help to anyone please shout.

Cheers