• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Scout

mightymini-5

i have just tried a 48dp 23t pinion that i had but could not get gearbox back in with motor attached as motor was too far over 

but 48dp teeth looked as if it meshed perfect when spun over ??

i had one before from new and i thought a little too slow if i was to go 17 instead of 14 would that make it go a little faster 

many thanks in advance shaun

i was sure they came with a 13t or 14t pinion as stock. 

if your 23 does not fit its because your to high on teeth. 

so something like a 16 should do for a little xtra speed, but remember the scouts a bit top heavy and

not really built for speed. more clambering around things. 

saying that it can be dropped lower so its more flatter running chasis and less prone to tip over at speed

• Like 1

48dp is correct. You are already going from a 70t (stock) motor to 27t so I wouldn't go for a bigger pinion then stock (14t I think... It's whatever the motor is listed as, typical Maverick) or it's going to be way fast and have no torque...

if the esc is beefed up he could run a 27x2 or 27x3 , the dual or triple wind would produce some extra torque

and also smooth out that rawness on the speed somewhat. 

we are so used to running single wind motors we forget the racer dual and triple turn winding cans.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

many thanks all or the advice 

i already have a single 27t motor lying around 

so if i use a 13t pinion should be ok is this correct or should i go 12t 

shaun

P.S do the Wheely King diff lockers internals do the same/ fit the same as Axial internal ones as a mod on these 

many thanks all or the advice 

i already have a single 27t motor lying around 

so if i use a 13t pinion should be ok is this correct or should i go 12t 

shaun

P.S do the Wheely King diff lockers internals do the same/ fit the same as Axial internal ones as a mod on these 

Not sure if you'll get a 12T to mesh. I run a 13T on a 13.5T brushless setup ok.

The axial lockers only fit in the scout housing if you (carefully) drill out the diff as it has a plastic lump in the middle acting as a locker.  The axle ends also need grinding to fit into the locker as they are larger on the scout.

I assume WK ones are same as Axials.

It's a pain but worth doing and if you fit CVDs or rear lockouts then they fit without grinding.