• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bez's MGM Powered 5ive

-BEZ-

I've just dug through the Data from the controller, when I did manage to hit full throttle for long enough it was pulling 11.8Kw (approx 16Hp) on 13s not to shabby at all :)

rofl, "when i did manage full beans"  says bez 

not bad 16hp aint far off the registered 20hp on the motor at full volts.

another two more S for 15-16s thats gonna end up in orbit .

will see bez next video on higher volts and the 5ive has small moons orbiting it as it

goes so darn quick it has its own gravity

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Be honest, first plume of dust, did your brain scream "it's venting!"? I know I've had moments like that when driving across what appears to be just grass, then hit a patch of mud you didn't know was there and think it's letting go!

Great to see it running, what's the word on temps? Did Martin suggest different pinions for different voltages? Runtime?

haha, na ...... If it lost power at the same time id be worried but it was still pulling like a train ;)

The scariest part of brushless large scale is when you come to plug the last lipo wire in lol

Temps were reasonable across the board. Motor was about 50c, esc was around 60c and the lipos about 40c. Which to be fair are pretty reasonable considering the setup is particularly brutal. Runtime wise 5 mins thrashing used up 3550mAh out of the lipo(s) (I've only re charged one atm but I imagine the others will be pretty much the same).

If runtime was important I'd suggest a lower KV 3080 like a 10 wind at 525KV as on 12s that would give you a bit more top end than a race tuned 29cc (around 23k RPM) and then that will still give you scope to go upto 15s giving around 33k RPM at the motor.

Over all very impressed with its performance. Im looking forward to running 15cells ...... then I will get around to doing some OCD testing with a more measured approach. The grin factor is massive though thoroughly enjoying the insanity  :)

wow,wow,wow, had a go on this on bez brithday,thanks a lot{thank god i didnt bend it},this is the most  powerfull rc i ever driven,the low down torque,is like a nissan gtr off the line,if it was on tarmac,it would of flipped,even with the wheels spinning it was only 20 to 30 meters before it hit full speed{and thats on stanard gearing},what can i say,rc dont come faster or more powerfull than this,1st lottery win and i am getting one in custom paint.this will break the 1/5th scale speed record,

They are huge fun, quite literally lol

I should have done this along time ago, but you know what they say about hindsight ;)

Once things settle down for me I want to get some larger capacity and higher discharge packs to fully make the most of the demon combo of the mgm/lehner. As I want to be able to play more crash more and (without being cheesy) grin more. I cant help but laugh when you get a huge high side and it flips down the field like a class b rally car gone all wrong, then it finds its feet and blasts off again like nothing has ever happened. Despite the chassis being a bit floaty its tuff as nails, They just need a stronger body lol

• 2 weeks later...

So last Thursday I took the 5ive down to the drag strip to put it through the speed traps and see how fast it was going in its stock form and to see how the chassis behaved under extended periods of full throttle.

I managed to squeeze in a handful of passes all of which were pretty sketchy as the super soft suspension and torque steer made it a animal to drive at full throttle on tarmac I had a full blown 60+mph tank slapper that saw the 5ive murder a traffic cone some how it didn't flip over but it caught a good 2 ft of air sideways lol (sorry not on film :( )

Gearing wise its set at 58:16 for the pinion and spur and with that very moddest gearing it topped out at a respectable 70Mph other runs being being 67, and 68 mph through the speed traps but I blew out a rear tyre in the process so That's something that is going to need some proper consideration for faster runs.

So to get this monster going faster I need to get better/stronger slicks ..... I'm thinking hostile zero growth foams and strapped tyres. But then they will be a lot heavier than what's fitted but I wouldn't expect them to fall apart either.  I also need to stiffen up the suspension and lower it a bit and finally get some larger gearing options I know I can at lease drop a dozen teeth off the spur and I should be able to go up to a 22+ pinion so hopefully I can try a ratio closer to 2:1 next time around, but I imagine I will need more than that to get close to the large scale record (around 117Mph) But that would also mean using a stronger 400A controller over the 250A stock unit.

Either way I'm happy with the bench mark testing and It give me some solid data to look at and work with. Fingers crossed I will see a marked improvement by the next time I do some speed runs in September at the ROSSA event :)

I'd like to try a 10 wind 3080 which is around 525Kv as much as a huge amount of fun the 875KV motor is its sucks the life out of the packs fairly quickly. Which should put it at a rpm speed similar to a tuned big block (at around 12s) with the added benefit of bags more torque. Then its no problem to go upto 15s for some more fun :)

Nice going, quite impressed really of what you have achieved, ohh that was hard to say haha think I should come down this year Rossa.

Yeah come up and enjoy a chill out for the weekend fella :good:

KV is weird.....

780kv and 10s feels as quick as 425kv and 14s, but with more get up and go off the line...still achieved 20mins (many speed runs) and didn't hit lvc (interestingly, our lass got 20mins max from her badger on 7s??)

Distinct lack of grip on stock nomads though...

Test, test and test again, innit!

For sure its all about the testing ;)

Its not just KV as you know, its the length of the rotor, type of windings and how they are wound as well as quality of magnets used and then there are the number of poles and slots. 2 KV rated motors from different places will never perform the same. I still find it interesting that Lehner only use 2 pole motors but the power they power they deliver and how smoothly is still impressive. Even when you think you have found the ideal motor a change of wheels can easily upset the apple cart lol 

I hear that! Very, very hot running today...in fact I'm not sure I've smelt a motor as hot....ever...

Seems lower kV suits the 5ive better.... Back to the hand built neu for me!

• 2 weeks later...

An update about tyres ........... yes its a boring one im afraid but I wanted to share my recent experiences :)

While the MCD wheel/tyre combo seems very nicely balanced it comes at no surprise they arent so good on Tarmac. Being spiked you tend to loose a bit of stability at full throttle and the 5ive kept getting in tank slappers around 70Mph. Once of which saw the car launch in the air sideways and landed boots down but caused some damage to the rim, which in turn lead to this:

20150622_185112_zpsuqxuvx4b.jpg

You can see where the rim has been ground away by tarmac :(

So the next mission was to find some cheap wheels to fill the gap while I saved up for some Zero Expansion Hostile foams and Slicks ......... holy cow are 5th scale wheels and tyres expensive im looking at around

Yeah Im keeping my eyes open for bits and bobs on forums and ebay ;)

Yep hexes, mount straight on with no fuss :good:

20150623_142424_resized_zpsi5oncl8j.jpg

Have a pair of hostile front slicks bnip.....for a baja 5t though.

Are they normal or strapped?

They look bloody awful, but as you say, for the money and to get you running, a no brainer ;)

Belted MXT's are heavy, take some abuse on my lowly, plodder though...:)

Not sure what you mean by strapped lol.theyre not belted if that's what you mean.

Pic of the label

09D9D8CC-07AD-436C-B6EC-A781DBBD53E4_zps