• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My new project: A Redcat Rampage TT Roller

almighty15

Picked this up at a good price and as it's a chassis that I've always wanted I couldn't wait, plus that I've always wanted a 4WD petrol powered RC.

This was bought to have a jet engine fitted ( Yes I said a jet engine ) to be an engineering show piece for a company but if never happened.

The chassis has only seen 10 minutes of use and it shows in the pictures, it's bloody clean!

5uppno.jpg

20rlgrl.jpg

2ue2m4n.jpg

Those Integy shocks have gone and the stock blue ones have been put back on so the color match ( I hate things that don't match )

My King Motor 29.5cc ported engine is going in it ( Engine has a WT-990, stack and a few others nice parts )

The back of the shell has been butchered so that'll be replaced.

I was also thinking of converting from a Rampage TT to a Rampage MT as the parts needed for the conversion would cost around

• Like 2

The side pipe is 100% perfect for bashing :) I had a side pipe on mine for 2 years and never got in the way or damaged :) the side pipe is not as exposed as you think ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So took this out today after it standing for a week while I've been away on a family emergency.

ifbi8y.jpg

It's not perfect and still has some niggles work out.

- Steering is rubbish but it's the stock servo, I'll be getting a 35Kg water proof Savox unit fitted.

- Fuel pisses out from the fuel cap, this happens regardless if I roll it or not so that'll need to address as it affecting fuel pressure???

- There's an unusually large amount of air in the fuel lines.

- I'll be putting the wheels that are on it now up for sale and getting the monster truck ones.

- It needs a tuned pipe as the engine is so dull with that black can fitted.

- Stock 2500mAh hump pack will be swapped out for a new 5000mAh unit or maybe even a LiPo.

- Brakes are poor but it's using the stock servo, 15Kg water proof Savox servo will be fitted.

- Think the clutch is slipping too, this may just be down using a King Motor branded clutch shoes.

Still after jumping off BMX jumps I feel it's much stronger then the old Baja was, this thing is built like a tank.

Edited by almighty15
  • Like 1

Like the look of this... glad you think it is solid because I think my Blackout is pretty solid.  Trouble is, I have nothing to compare it to. 

How much of the DNA is the same as the Maverick Blackout XB?   I can see most of it looks very similar.  Shell is different and the metal plate on the roll cage has an access hatch (I guess?) for the spark plug.  Reason I am asking in particular is I am off to the US next month and thought I might get some gear while over there.  Parts look similar but doesn't necessarily mean the same...

Price of kit over there is a lot cheaper so thought I would stock up on Rampage parts if they are the same. 

I am really liking the look of that truck. I am led to believe there are a few differences - like the fuel tank is the 'other' way round (filller cap I think).  Dunno why fuel should leak from tank.  I have heard in the past of people drilling through the cap and rubber seal under the cap to allow it to breathe more easily but I would be surprised if it has only had 10 minutes drive time before you got it. 

Interesting how it was for sale in this country... I thought Redcat Rampage was US territory?  Bet there aren't that many in the UK.

I like the look of it a lot. 

Let me dispel a few things.

- This is not a clone, HSP original designed this truck and sold the design to various OEM's around the globe, exact same truck, just sold in different countries by different OEM's.

- This truck is the 'TT' version which is a racing buggy, I've converted it to the monster truck.

- The TT did only have a single steering servo compared to the monster truck as it had small wheels, single servo is better anyway as it saves 2 servo's fighting each other as they never work perfectly in tandem

- I've reserved this fuel tank myself, all the after market pipes for this truck block the fuel cap in the normal position so I changed it ready.

- This has only had 10 minutes of use before I got my hands on it, it's about as new as you can get without actually buying a new one.

• Like 2

Another few hours out with it and love it.... 4WD is sooooo much fun...

Still has no power on the low and mid range but that could be due to the basic exhaust can robbing the engine of power, the clutch slipping or maybe even both.

New exhaust is on the way and I'll order a new clutch, any one know what style clutch I need to order?

Your better off going for a high rpm clutch, i did notice that the standed clutch in my 002c was very dusty pain in the ar5e matey black clumps of clutch dust, and it goes every were,but this new clutch iv got in has no dust at all, and it smells very fishy,like car brakes do, so it must have some sort of aspestos in it sort of stuff, i no they can't use that anymore but its a similar product, rc modelz high performance clutch, with a 9000 rpm spring, i think you can get a higher rpm clutch spring but it maybe to tight that one, so don't quote me on the spring,

4x4 is apparently very predictable and boring after a while, but it may suit you hay? :) but i still think your baja was loads nicer looking and you only colour coded the chassis a bit, but its your choice kidda, Nawt to do with anybody else ;)

Edited by flatout!

I have the high performance clutch from RCModelz already and it's black and worn uneven.... was like that before I put it in here so the Baja has caused another clutch to wear badly.

I'll order another one.. maybe even the lightened fly wheel too.

I wouldn't call 4 wheel drifting boring :D

This will be nice when it's done, I'll get it running properly then I'll start on the cosmetics ;)

Let me dispel a few things.

- The TT did only have a single steering servo compared to the monster truck as it had small wheels, single servo is better anyway as it saves 2 servo's fighting each other as they never work perfectly in tandem

FYI - Its pretty easy to set up two steering servos so that they do not 'fight' each other.  It would be a far superior set up with that truck than you could ever achieve with one

FYI - Its pretty easy to set up two steering servos so that they do not 'fight' each other.  It would be a far superior set up with that truck than you could ever achieve with one

1 decent high powered servo would be fine.... also less power draw = longer run times.

I imagine it's just the exhaust rather than clutch.

Also a clutch do wear unevenly (that's normal) one trick you can do for more bite which I've done is reverse the clutch.

So instead of pulling on the clutch bell, it actually pushes it at the earliest POE.

Really made a difference with mine.

I'm a fan of 8k clutches myself, I think 5k is just a bit close to idle annd 9.5k is a bit high if you just want to walk your buggy along somewhere... Clutch will get very hot being on and off so much.

Wait until the pipe comes, it'll wake the engine up!

Exhaust should be waiting for me when I get home, as well as the new clutch and other parts.

I've looked at reversing the clutch before so I might do it on the next one.

I'm also thinking of putting Baja wheels on too so I have more wheel choice.

Really can't decide to have it as a monster truck or a buggy.