• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Assistance Required

HSKzz

Hello,

I have recently purchased an R/C Nitro Car from Ebay. I bought it on the terms of not knowing what make/model it is. 

The owner said it had been sitting for atleast 2 years with out running or anything. Although it ran when in use. 
It is branded with HPI Racing components everywhere so I contacted them to see if they had any ideas, but they didn't recognize it as their own

I need a few components to make it work, Radio equipment, a clutch also finally a 2 speed clutch bell housing. 
For obvious reasons I don't know what to buy in terms of the clutch side as this is my first car, and I don't know compatibility options with different components on different cars.

It would be great if someone could help me out with my problem.

Kind Regards

Matthew.  

Has elements of an older HPI RS4 on there....but it clearly isn't one! I think it has gained the pipe and radio box off one at some point. Blue anodised chassis are something I have never seen on an HPI model. I suspect it's probably an ACME or HSP product which has been modded and had a few parts added to it.

The tank looks like a Chinese clone type of thing.

Some parts on cars like these can be swapped about, but a lot of parts are far more specific. A pipe can be fitted easily enough, and other bits can be fitted/made to fit.... but a clutch bell is going to be more specific. It's one thing to have spare parts lying around and try to make them work in a pinch or to get a car up and running, but if you are going to buy new parts...you want to be sure they fit!

Thank you for replying so fast. 

I have google some different ACME nitros and came up with a conclusion that it's an ACME Cyclone Pro!

Cheers for your help :)

do a buying list first and price things up,

imo you would be better off cutting your losses now and getting a branded model with decnt spares back-up.

Parts are out there..... just don't spend too much sorting it out:

http://www.sriremotetoys.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1444&osCsid=0c852da86d40d9390e40911c896728f0

Keep in mind the fact that the car will never be worth a fortune, and get it up and running as a way of getting to grips with nitro. The mistake people make is buying a cheap car and spending loads on blingy upgrades....only to find that the car is still worth basically what they paid for it and all the money they ploughed in was totally wasted.

At least driving errors will be cheap to fix :)

• Like 1

do a buying list first and price things up,

imo you would be better off cutting your losses now and getting a branded model with decnt spares back-up.

Okay will do, looking at the prices of things I would need to spend no more than

i have had acme cars in the past and found them frustrating, i spent more time working on them than using them

have a look here

http://www.swiftrc.co.uk/cyclone-nitro-rc-car-436-p.asp

im just pointing out you can quickly spend more than the car is worth

What kept going wrong with it? Was it a specific part or just various things breaking? 

ACME are not good quality. On a scale of 1-10 ..... they are basically the 1. With the likes of Serpent, Durango and the other exotica up at 10.

What makes them a lesser quality product? 

What kept going wrong with it? Was it a specific part or just various things breaking?

What makes them a lesser quality product?

poor cheap brittle plastics...poor parts support...cheap in everything in general...even if it was brand new in the box u would struggle to sell it on here as most know of how bad they can b/money pits....harsh I know but like been said. .sell/part it out n start again with a decent make/model...this way u will actually get sum enjoyment outa ur hobby..

I only recently got back into RCs after a 20-25 year break and the first mistakes I made were buying cars that were older due to their attractive purchase price..I quickly learnt that was a mistake as soon as I broke something. A spur gear was only available from the States, with a ridiculous shipping cost and worked out as much as I paid for the car, then a diff had to be fixed - again expensive. So in two breakages I spent well over the cost of the whole car. It broke again and is now sat in limbo as it would make more sense for me to buy a newer car with aftermarket support and easily available spares. 

• Like 2