• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya hornet.

Philxj4L

I thought about getting the pink cow looking one. But for my kid obviously. I read about that model and they actually paid a big artist to come up with the paint scheme Jun wantabe mayb is his name. He must be way ahead of the times lol cos it looks like hunger games era to me. I can just imagine him or her in dress like the rich in that movie.

• 1 month later...

Up to three now...

Just completed the last one...the black one, running 4300kv brushless!

med_gallery_28308_3741_64453.jpg

Buggies just look so right on big tyres. 

I agree, they're so much more useable too. Both of our fighter buggies are big wheeled too. They look funny on small wheels now!

Here's a vid my wife took of my Hornet today on it's maiden ish voyage, first run with the shell complete...and it gets christened Hornet style!

I have a fighter rx buggy which is probably the same basic chassis as the hornet, what's involved to fit those type of wheels/tyres?

I have a fighter rx buggy which is probably the same basic chassis as the hornet, what's involved to fit those type of wheels/tyres?

Longer front axles. Go for the Bush Devil items. 

just Mad Bull stub axles for the front and suitable wheels/tyres all round. Front are bearing, rear are hex. Mad Bull wheels would work well, or as on mine stadium blitzer rims if you can find them, which offer a better selection of tyres being 2.2in instead of the Mad Bull's odd lunchbox 2in dia tyres.

med_gallery_28308_2482_9207.jpg

Just to add, the fighter buggy suspension works much better than the hornet. You can get proper dampers all round and the rear axle has an anti rock brace. The only thing I don't like on the fighter buggy is the steering linkage setup. Never done anything with it mind!

Regards

Nito

Edited by NITO
  • Like 1

just Mad Bull stub axles for the front and suitable wheels/tyres all round. Front are bearing, rear are hex. Mad Bull wheels would work well, or as on mine stadium blitzer rims if you can find them, which offer a better selection of tyres being 2.2in instead of the Mad Bull's odd lunchbox 2in dia tyres.

med_gallery_28308_2482_9207.jpg

Regards

Nito

So I'll need another pair of Mad Bull rears then........................................................

Cheers for the heads up Nito buddy. 

What model is it for Chewie? they don't work on the Hornet which has lunchbox type wheel fitment. The Mad bull wheels are a lot wider than stock buggy rears and different tyre diameter too.

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you I'm afraid. Let's just say that I have plans.......................................

Ooooh,

Sounds interesting. I quite fancied doing a Super Fighter GR with big wheels as that's quite a handsome buggy. The Stadium Blitzer and original Bush Devil use 2.2 wheels with hex rear bearing front.

The rears of the WR02 are the same 2" as the Mad Bull, but the front aren't bearing on the WR02 from memory which leaves you with the option of Lunchbox/Pumpkin/Mad Bull/Montero which gives plenty colour options. In fact I have the 2" Lunchbox black wheels on my black limited Hornet, 2.2" Bush Devil Pinks on the Jun, and 2" Montero on the stock one. The Fighter buggy is running 2.2" stadium blitzer rims with HPI Yokohama Geolander tyres. So lots of choice for you.

Cheers

Nito

I'll be using Blitzer wheels on my next build as I've already chosen the tyres. The kit rears will be paired with more rears for the following build. I've got an over active imagination when it comes from comes to Tamiya kits lol

Have you changed the gearing along with the wheels? Haven't compared the size of my fighter rear wheels to those on my lunchbox but I expect the overall circumference is greater.

No haven't changed gearing or needed to to be honest. You could maybe use the Lunchbox spacer and pinion, the gearbox looks similar but I couldn't guarantee that would work. It doesn't seem to affect performance and the motor doesn't get too hot either.

Cheers

Nito 

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to matter what gearing those little ezrun type cans are run on or what size wheels you fitz they don't overheat and just keep going.

Hammered them with different sized rims on the HB and had no failures at all...also, kV choice has little effect on top end it seems, owing to Tamiya's limited gearing options on the more basic chassis's...chucked a quicrun 3800kv four pole in the HB and seems not that much quicker than using a 3500kv ezrun, blue finned can, lol.

Nice to see the cabinet full to the brim, Nito :)

Cheers Noj, cabinet is potentially maxed out. There's a few unbuilt models to put in yet and the shelf below the Hornets now has the wife's Kumamon tractor in it! It's going to get a bit crowded, then what??!! Argh. My ego's collecting models my body can't stash or something!! lol

My comment re motor overheating was more specifically aimed at the 540 stock and Sport tuned which I run in the fighter buggys. Actually thinking about it, I think the Mad Bull and fighter buggy gearing is also the same!

Cheers

Nito

Edited by NITO