• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lels Ascender

lel-95

Lovely :) im still scoping out one of these for a build I've got in mind as I fancy trying something different to another SCX10. Still not really much feedback on these but I think they're getting quietly popular. Certainly seem to go out of stock pretty quickly!

yeah the reason i went for this was to try something other than an SCX, i'm pleased i did really. In my opinion its a much nicer and more capable kit out of the box, i'm sure there'll be someone along in a bit to tell me otherwise though ;)

Payday is friday and i want some shiny bits for the Ascender, i'm thinking wheels but i'm not sure which, i have my heart set on either SSD beadlocks in silver/black or white RC4WD steelies. I think the steelies might tie in better with the retro-ish theme of the body but the SSD's are new and look awesome, hard choice :P

Edited by lel-95

Something like the Gearhead slot mags would suit the retro theme but they're a fair step up in budget!

Being honest, I'm not too worried whether its better than an SCX10, just so long as its comparable. That way I can get the fun of something new to learn and know that when its finished, it'll do what I want and I can enjoy driving it :)

G-Made beadlocks don't seem to be very popular around here which is odd. They are steel and weighty, brilliantly built and scale looking.

Take a look, might be what you're looking for.

They are heavy which IMO is a good thing and you can always add more weight if you like

• 2 weeks later...

ooo those are nice! If RcBitz get them in stock i'll definitely be ordering some, cheers for the link :)

Should have some updates or atleast some pics and possibly a video by the end of the weekend 

ooo those are nice! If RcBitz get them in stock i'll definitely be ordering some, cheers for the link :)

Should have some updates or atleast some pics and possibly a video by the end of the weekend

If you fancy a set, I'd give Martin a call. There can often be a gap between him getting new lines in stock and him getting around to putting them on the website :)

Sent Martin a message about the SSD rock sliders and he should have them in about 2 weeks! 

I'm really behind with this Ascender, i had planned new wheels and tyres but my 1:1 has taken all my time and money at the moment, i haven't even had it out for a fortnight :( 

I also definitely need a new motor, this 45t has bags of torque but no wheel speed what so ever even with a 20t pinion fitted. I always used to use the 21t Kenjo drift motors so i might buy one of those, i believe Absima still make them. 

I also only run 2S but would like to run through water as/when required. I'm confident my esc is waterproof but I'd have to get a sealed motor like the Tekin ROC series. For the price of a Tekin motor, I could get a brushed set-up so depends which direction I want to go.

I love my sensored brushless set-up but never tried a brushed set-up. I'm tempted to get a HW 1060 and a 35t motor.

had a run out this morning, first time in a while and its still flawless :D 

11149511_1573004296307196_18587675946116

11051889_1573004322973860_86165724979031

11095031_1573004382973854_58298190536243

its starting to look a bit rough and used, rocks aren't very kind to the body!

I'm looking at buying some brazing gear so i can make some bits and bobs, namely bumpers 

11146287_1573555489585410_23622434979825

11173311_1573555542918738_77087243879465

11167675_1573555562918736_72058359780398

Need to pick up some MAP gas tomorrow and get it brazed together, i'm bracing each side of the hoop so i need to cut those 2 pieces and then make some plates to mount it to the chassis. 

Had a go at brazing for the first time with Propane, its nowhere near hot enough as it doesn't let the rod flow but its still hot enough to melt and form some sort of bond. I like how even a poor braze lets me bend the rod before breaking the bond, i cant see me having any strength issues :D

11146293_1573555599585399_30205463518599