• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What have I done?

chippy1986

well after months of looking for a baja i thought my best route was to go down the km 002 path, take it slow and steady and learn about the new world (to me) of 1/5th scale cars...... however after a few strong cups of tea (cough cough) and a little looking on the tinterweb what did i find? a used hpi baja 5b with a new 26cc engine. 1 bent rear shock and no radio gear!?!?! my gosh i must own this one of a kind gem!! she must be mine i thought. Well................... i not one to back out of a deal when i had been so pushy to make it so after parting with a small ( around

so dismantled the back end today. have 1 broken wishbone and need to get some diff oil and a very good grease and dirt stripper. was even thinking about a sonic cleaner. then there is t20150321_155014_zpsyhvelmv8.jpghe bent shock

so the next question is do i go all stock just to get her up and running then get expensive hop ups. or go to expensive hop ups?

needed advise! what are your suggestions  when it comes down to cleaning of old crud and oil? what are the best chemicals to uses? also im going to need a dremel type tool as some of the screws have been rounded off. any suggestions on good but cheap-ish tools or deals you know of?

Hot, soapy water to loosen the dirt, then I use bearing/motor cleaner to shift the stubborn grease. Toothbrushes are great for getting into the corners. Once clean, spray plastics over with gt85 and then wipe down, helps prevent dirt sticking...

Any rotary, multi tool will be fine, doesn't have to be dremmel or dremmel priced. The majority come with cutting discs etc, just be careful when cutting...over enthusiasm as the sparks fly can lead to knicks where you don't want them. One slot to match the size of the screwdriver blade per screw; have you tried tapping in a torx bit? Sometimes, the extra splines will give enough purchase to shift the hex...of course, if the previous owner has been heavy handed with the threadlock, then heat the hex with a soldering iron to melt the threadlock...

Hth

• Like 1

So managed to get screw out with some careful hacksaw cutting. All of the baja is now dismantled and is being cleaned and sorted in to plastic tubs for ease of asembely in the hopefully not to distance future. Going to go to the local model shop on Saturday to get oils for the diff and shocks and some grease. Ive decided to take my time on the baja and get it right. The importance of making sure the baja is safe to use is starting to dawn on me and if im honest the bloke i bought it off stuck me as a "that will do'sort of person.

More photos uploaded later tonight

Iv got this tin of motor pride engine maintenance stray, its high pressure can so it blasts in all the corners and eats the grease away, the plastic nylon cage and suspension arms come up amazing with it, i found that anything with silicone in it, it just polishes over it and makes the muc shiny, but this degreaser spray does what it says on the tin, and the high pressure can helps to,

CAR PRIDE! not sure if it's still going, iv had it years till i got this 5th scale lol! Bench silicon spray is really good after a good clean, it makes the mud and dirt fall off, but i wouldn't advice using it in the summer the silicone spray it attracts the dust really bad, it'll end up built up around your bearings and ball joints, lol!

but for the winter its ace, i use it on my Wellingtons theres no 12 inch clump of mud on ya boots it just slips of the wellies ;)

Well its been striped and cleaned to within an inch of her life and im now left with a box of bit that used to be my baja, a big box. So ive just completed the list of parts i need and im just thinking. Why Am i looking at hpi thread lock? It cant be any different from loctight? And grease whats wrong with carlube or just any generic grease? Same with oils. I use 20 weight oil in my job. Why am i looking to get hpi shock oil? I might just be a tight ####. But it is expensive to buy model lubes. So please kick me of my high horse and tell the pig head me why im wrong

Shock oil has to be antifoaming for Baja shocks, silicone oil destroys the seals.

Apart from that, no need to buy an rc branded item of lubrication, other than perhaps silicone diff oil....

• Like 1

Hi matey i just use a general purpose grease that i use on 1.1 cars, to build my gearbox on my baja and its a lot better than that stuff that was init, i also got the red locktite from my hardware and the bolt i used it on is still in the clutch carrier in my box lol! Its a bit to definite tbh you'll never get anything off without warming it up, pain! But iv been useing the hpi thred lock and its really good, holds the stuff on and you don't strip your hex bits to pieces lol! Trouble is there nothing in them really but you do only need a tiny drop and smear it through the threds, ;)