• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

F103RS / F103GT / F102 help/tips

The Gimp

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this is the incorrect place to start. 

I'm after some advise and pro / con tips for use.

Having dug my F103RS out the garage last year for the first time since 1997 and with recent F1 reason starting it's got me in the mood to start tinkering again. 

I've also got a F103GT which I have converted to F1 spec and a F102 (I think as some of the parts are a mis-match).

Now, with the F103RS, I have added some additional hop ups and after market items. 

Carbon up rights

Carbon Front arms

Carbon rear shaft

F103RM adjustable rear motor housing

Aluminum diff housing

Front spring set (Medium on a present)

Brushless set up with 17.5t motor

Pit Shimizu rubber tyres

Ball bearings all round

3racing Friction damper with 15wt oil

Frinction damper grease (Medium /Soft)

Chevron multi diffuser (Costmic mod, looks cool though)

Is there anything else I can add?  For example upper carbon deck? I have a set of F103GT servo mounts but understand the kit has these in there anyway?

Mostly used for car park GP bashing but hoping to get to a track soon to give it a go. If I join at club level is there anything prohibited or changes I'd need to make? I assume damper set up and gearing needs to be done at track side depending on grip levels etc?

Would people advise using a 0.6 or switching to 0.4 module or evening going 48dp or 64 dp route?

Currently using 98/21 on the 17.5t with 2s Lipo . I have got my hands on a 70t spur (0.6 mod) and thinking of buying a 48dp spur set for adjustments etc.

For the 70t (0.6) spur would a 24t be an over kill depending on track layout. For example better traction from tight cornering to better top end without frying esc?

F103GT -

I have converted this to like a F103 (easily done) and straight forward but this is on brushed silver (27) can set up.

This is being ran on Foam's (Zen #30 front and Zen #35 rear) .

Gearing is 94/20 0.6 mod.

Medium front fronts and damper grease of Soft.

Brushed esc with 2s set up. 

Now, with all the mods I made on the F103RS I find the F103GT/F103 an easier more enjoyable car to us even on foams. Little bit tricky in quick direction changes but this can be ajusted with a loosen of the diff. THe chassis is only partly upgraded on ball bearing mods. 

I've got another set of rubbers at home which I intend on using on the car or simply put the RS

Pit Shimizu rubber tyres on to see what the difference is.

F102 -

I purchased this off of eBay last year for a grand sum of

Hi buddy,

Totally agree.  Will do some once I am home. 

I had a couple of hours free last night. 

So, Completed the following. 

I swapped out the rear of the F102 for a spare F103RS rear motor housing . 

On doing so you will need to change the whole drive drive ( shaft / Diff housing / shafts (cannot for the life of me recall the correct name/terms).

Re-oiled the damper using a 10wt

Fitted new t-bar screw with o-ring

Without using it in anger can feel a major difference in the way the rear section is looser and tilts , almost feels the same as my F103RS now.

Steve

Not really what is required but some pics of the cars in questions .

My son has the F104 Ferrari (not sure if its a V2 or not though to be honest) currently on brushed set up using a Crawler 55T motor bless him.

Slow but enough for him for now.

DSC_0442_zpswdrbj8sk.jpg

DSC_0445_zpsjhccmzdz.jpg

DSC_0443_zpsva6gssip.jpg

DSC_0444_zpswj6mygvi.jpg

Steve