• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's RC4WD Trailfinder 2

Fixed the above issue, turned out to be the Tekin motor, I think I'll stay with RC4WD ones for now to be honest.

Gave it a few laps round the garden, two speed working superbly, apart from it being quite noisy and my tyres not running true (don't care about that, they annoyed the hell out of me in the first place) it's a rolling chassis under it's own steam :)

Already scratched both axle cases and the transfer case plate :lol: lovely to get them out of the way :P

• Like 1

I still have some more work to do, fine detailing and so on, I also need to figure out if to cut the front or not, as the leaf spring hangers hit the bottom of the front bumper very very easily so I have next to no articulation on the front.

I think it's looking alright though... Not perfect, but it was never going to be, like all my builds, I like them to look a little bit used, with some underlying repairs and so on, but also, not like they need to be weighed in either :)

IMG_4521_zps0pvgs3wu.jpg

IMG_4522_zpsxluba4jm.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good!

I've always debated if the chrome bumper goes on the way you have installed it? I tried it the other way round (as below),and felt it looked more realistic? But it fits both ways round?  :shockingscary:

OrUVUAg.jpg?2

Fits both ways, I had it the other way, but if you look at the sides, they are cut in one direction, I put that direction the same as the arches, assuming it was correct.

I didn't actually look into it though, but it's only two screws to swap it over in any case :P

My more immediate problem is the front leaf shackles catching the body so I get about 5m of articulation on the front :(

Well one thing in this hobby, you can't be afraid to modify things, no matter the price tag, so yeah, the front of the shell has had the hacksaw blade on it lol.

Clearance should be sweet now :)

Also flipped the chrome bit over and it looked better, turns out I had it the correct way round the first time (then switched it after I painted) and now switched it back lol.

IMG_4523_zps7hs2vjzb.jpg

IMG_4524_zpsa2wk58uu.jpg

Looked at some pictures and I can see what the problem was you were on about.

It's very strange that they almost allow that to happen,even in pictures from RC4WD I can see the problem.

Whats more odd is some people have done what you have done

2083.jpg

whilst others haven't

2012-02-08_07-37-04_226.jpg

What I would do mate, where you chopped off the bottom of the wing at the front, maybe curve it a little so it's not so pointy and so as to not get caught up in anything.

• Like 1

Looks much better after the cut, more aggressive :)

But shackles at the front is a WTF, shackles should be at the back. Must be a cheaper fix out there than sixty quid?

It is fixed now lol.

And I agree, I like it.

Definitely going to do more front end detailing though, just so it doesn't look quite as boring, because I don't want to run a front bumper, I've never been keen on them on Hilux's, something just doesn't look right to me.

What I would do mate, where you chopped off the bottom of the wing at the front, maybe curve it a little so it's not so pointy and so as to not get caught up in anything.

Next thing on my to-do list bud lol :P it should make the cut a bit less obvious as well.

But for some reason, I couldn't turn any of the wheels, which is what has kept me occupied for the last hour.

Stripped the whole thing down because taking out the driveshafts, transfer case and gearbox didn't work... You know what the problem was?

I fitted the option hexes, to bring the wheels in by 2mm (they're provided in the kit) and they're completely wrong?!

Jammed up all four corners solid, had to fight to get them out of the wheels as well, even though they went in very easily lol.

I wish I'd checked those first!

Least I got to double check all the nuts and bolts on the chassis though, thread locked everything again.

Maiden voyage tomorrow hopefully :D

Well that's a bit of a bummer really, but as you say, at least it gave you some experience of the thread lock and strip down time for future reference.

Pics of the outing please :good:

Got my shut lines started today, not perfect, they are getting fine tuned when I get rid of this flu, just can't properly concentrate at the moment, but made a start at least!
Bed also got painted today as well, brush painted to give it a more realistic look and also a matt finish.
Progress is good :)

IMG_4529_zpsifydoyig.jpg

• Like 2

Got my shut lines started today, not perfect, they are getting fine tuned when I get rid of this flu, just can't properly concentrate at the moment, ...

Ain't that the truth!  It took me three attempts to get the steering kit on my CC01 right while I was off work ill ... I ended up swearing a lot and just giving up.  Came back to it today, feeling better, and it just fell together right :)

Its looking good though!

Edited by TurboFurball