• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja 5b diff query

TimS

Hi all,

I recently took out my diff and replaced the oil with 10,000 weight diff oil.

To be honest, I can't remember what oil was in there before, but I mostly run on flat (ish) grass and tarmac - so light bashing really.

My issue is that since changing the oil, the Baja appears harder to control and also, when it's up on its stand and I turn the rear wheels, they turn freely in the same direction, whereas previously, they turned in the opposite direction to each other and there was some 'resistance'. Has something gone in the diff and is it connected to the control issue?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

I my be wrong but I think thy have 1,000 silicone diff oil as stock ? so 10,000 will be a bit thick. so its a bit like a locker diff

1k is too thin. Esp if running anything other than the standard engine.

Ive got 7k in mine and like it. 10k will be the next I use.

Lots of people run 10k. A fellow basher has 30k I think. Thats on tarmac mainly.

Sounds like all is ok. If its too much try 5k and go from their

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies - assuming the 10k oil is OK (I'll give 7k a go next time round), is it normal for both wheels to spin the same way around and freely?

Previously, when on the stand, if I spun a wheel one way, the other wheel would spin in the opposite direction. There was also some resistance. My understanding was that this 'test' confirmed that the diff was working properly.

Thanks for your replies - assuming the 10k oil is OK (I'll give 7k a go next time round), is it normal for both wheels to spin the same way around and freely?

Previously, when on the stand, if I spun a wheel one way, the other wheel would spin in the opposite direction. There was also some resistance. My understanding was that this 'test' confirmed that the diff was working properly.

With finger put brakes on by pushing P shape thing with finger, which stop gears turning

And while doing that turn one wheel while on its stand, other wheel should turn other way

Or hold spur if cover is off

With thick oil it makes cogs easier to turn than the spider gear in the diff, but by applying the brake it stops that

Edited by marder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think a good weight is 5/6000 was recommended the other day on another thred for normal to bashing type of thing, 10,000 is very heavy but iv read of bashers useing 30,000 I think and thats thick oil,

basically the thicker the oil the wider the turn circle , the thinner the oil the tighter the turning circle.

Hope this helps, but look in to these things first or wait for me to be corrected before you go ahead :)

Edited by flatout!
  • Like 1

basically the thicker the oil the wider the turn circle , the thinner the oil the tighter the turning circle.

this is true to a point, thicker or thinner oil has and effect off and on power

off power a thinner oil will make for a tighter turn, but once you put the power down it can also result in lost speed or slow acceleration until you have finished turning

thicker oil will indeed make a wider turn off power, it will allow you to put the power down harder as well but at the down side of being easier to over steer or spin out completely. more power also has an effect, with more torque thicker oils loose the above property of sliding as they have an easier time moving that thick oil, this is why some people go as high as 30k.

most people go for the higher thickness oil to get the sideways action the baja is known for....really actually its known for doing donuts all the time but that because people can't drive.

car set up is down to the user's preference of handling, for bashing that set up is usually to what ever in most fun, for racing its what ever lets you go around the track faster, no one choice is the right one, there is only the choice for you.

Edited by Thunderwolf
  • Like 2