• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

Very snazzy! Let us know how you get on with it. I would like to know how long it lasts v big knocks. Keep us posted!

Will do! Its only heavy grade ally at the moment. Probably wont be using it in anger for a couple of weeks, ms are sending replacement glands and oil out for rear shock for the weekend! Edited by shaunm

well my kit arrived :yes: and I have started building all seems good so far

Zombi what oil weight do you use in the shocks and also you advised me to upgrade the wheel hubs. The kit has plastic hex hubs will these be better than the RTR hubs

I found in the first plastics bag a set of cow horns I will have to mount them somewhere

Quickest one first then - 40 on the front, 30 on the rear.  Stock is 30/10 respectively.

Then, from my travels you'll probably find that the plastic wheels and hubs won't last TOO long.  The hex upgrade kit that came with your Yeti is a vast improvement on what we got originally, so that's a good start and they'll probably last a reasonable amount of time.

What you'll find though is one of two things will happen.  Due to the stresses that the Yeti is under because it's quick, either your wheels will tear off, pulling through the 6 screws that attach them to the hub, or the threads in the hubs will eventually strip.  My money is on the plastic wheels going first though.  I see it happening to a lot of folks in other forums, and it indeed happened to me (and i had to buy more plastic wheels whilst i waited for mine to come from the US).

So to save yourself having to wait for shipping once one of the above happens and you're off the road, I'd get the ball rolling on ordering some new wheels and alum hubs straight away. If you're budget-minded, then look on Asiatees and consider their alum wheels and hubs.  If you've got money to burn, then it's Vanquish all the way (and you won't be disappointed.  If you're in the middle then you'll have to consult our good friend Google as I'm sure their are other options (although probably only from the US). Let me know which route you take.

here is the yeti so far

and here are the cow horns. I just throught Boss Hog. I will need to mount these somewhere

Edited by philbr

So the stock servo is actually slightly more powerful, so you'll be downgrading slightly there. I guess the only thing that might be better is that it'll hopefully have full metal gears. The stock servo claims to have that too, but it's actually a lie as the central gear is plastic. I stripped mine easily.

There's what seems to be a decent titanium servo from hobby king, i'll link it in a bit. Got to go to a meeting now.

well I am going to have to paint the body. I have been it putting off

not sure whether to just use one colour ans add a few decals (there are a good selection included) or try something a little more fancy

Edited by philbr

I was going going to add the full face helmet heads fot simplicity while I paint the skull heads  but axial seem to have sent 4 left sides and no rights

Edited by philbr

you cant see on the photo but the paint job is not the best it is a bit patchey but the decals help hide some of it. I am still waiting for a servo before I can try it out

Edited by philbr
  • Like 2

you cant see on the photo but the paint job is not the best it is a bit patchey but the decals help hide some of it. I am still waiting for a servo before I can try it out

Very nice colour works really well on the yeti!
  • Like 1

Well ive now tried out my ally diff slide, very pleased with the results, it will need upgrading to stainless steel because after some rock rash and cerb scraping it has scratched up that was to be expected but surprisingly very minimal and some sanding has brought it back up. On the whole seems to work as a solution and easily made in ally to stop the plastic being warn away!