• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

I have all gpm upgrades to the yeti from prop shaft, front drive shafts, suspension arms, nuckles and yes gpm wheels, I've had no mechanicle failures of the beads as yet and it has been over some rough stuf, the only negative is I lost some of the decorative rim screws on the first run but to be fair that was my fault for not locktighting them in! I'm also running stock tyres which after wales I'm going to change through poor grip on rock, in sand and gravel they seem fine which is where the majority of its time has been spent!

Edited by shaunm
  • Like 1

Well my first piece of advice is to not bother running it on 2S at all, it'll be disappointing according to everything I've read from people that tried 2S then moved up to 3S...

Also, it seems to have weight guidance on there of max 6.5 lbs. My Yeti weights in at 9.1 lbs, so bear that in mind too.

3s is not a option I'm afraid, I have a stack of 2s lipos and that's all that will be used regardless of how fast it is. Only reason I mention the said combo is that I have one already I could use, never mind though I'll look at something else.....

Cheers though.

I have all gpm upgrades to the yeti from prop shaft, front drive shafts, suspension arms, nuckles and yes gpm wheels, I've had no mechanicle failures of the beads as yet and it has been over some rough stuf, the only negative is I lost some of the decorative rim screws on the first run but to be fair that was my fault for not locktighting them in! I'm also running stock tyres which after wales I'm going to change through poor grip on rock, in sand and gravel they seem fine which is where the majority of its time has been spent!

Yep, I hit asiatees today with a small order, axial cvd's, rpm front arms, gpm c-hubs and knuckles and a receiver cover.

That will have to do this month......:whistling:

• Like 1

Yep, I hit asiatees today with a small order, axial cvd's, rpm front arms, gpm c-hubs and knuckles and a receiver cover.

That will have to do this month......:whistling:

• Like 1

I reckon I'll pick one up next time I visit the shape of rad.... But to be fair I don't run them on my wraith or scx10's the scx versions do tend to get caught up more though....

I think a alloy poison spider or ballistic fabrications diff cover will be on the cards when I get to the rear.....

I reckon I'll pick one up next time I visit the shape of rad.... But to be fair I don't run them on my wraith or scx10's the scx versions do tend to get caught up more though....

I think a alloy poison spider or ballistic fabrications diff cover will be on the cards when I get to the rear.....

I went for the underslung diff guard because I found very early on the plastic axle case was getting damaged from sliding over rough ground, the radshape one is a reasonbly snug fit to the underside and it has an upturned nose wich almost touches the prop, this acts like a slider or sled over the rocks, I've not had issues yet with it getting hung up but I probably don't have access to the more rocky areas that your used to! I know what you mean about the diff cover I nearly did but something else caught my eye and the wraith plate covers it over anyway. Edited by shaunm

You'll find you do it more and more there's always something else to upgrade, just when you think your done someone sugests a new idea (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) and bingo of to asia tees it is with open wallet.

:harhar:

Update on the gpm prop shaft its failed!! The front uj has seized and caused the back end to lock up, booo going to put the original prop back on temporarily awaiting suppliers response regarding waranty!

Well someone has to try this stuff out - thanks for reporting back.

I'm sure Asiatees will sort you out though so no worries.

Absolutely didn't want to name and shame yet but it's pretty obvious who the supplier is, as you say I'm sure they will be fine, to be fair I've had a good look at the offending part I can't really see what's wrong outher than gut instinct says its a damaged or faulty pin, it moves freely in one direction left and right lets say but up and down is severely restricted! I am still pleased with its overall performance and quality I think I've just been unlucky.

Is it not something you can take apart and rebuild? Sounds like it's just crud in there that needs cleaning. Also, tried soaking it in some WD-40 or something similar? That stuff works wonders...

Is it not something you can take apart and rebuild? Sounds like it's just crud in there that needs cleaning. Also, tried soaking it in some WD-40 or something similar? That stuff works wonders...

Unfortunately not the pins aren't shifting already tried corrosionx which is a penetrating oil to no avail hence I think its damage also had to drill out the diff end locking pin as it was well and truly fixed in, rounded of the hex fitting tried the torx key method which also rounded out and didn't leave any material for another go. On another note i also stripped out the rear diff to check for damage or ware and found the bevel gears are starting to ware not sure what to replace with, the gpm gears look good and seem to be well recieved thaughts?

I've always stuck with the axial bevel HD gears. They're that tough I've had them chew up and spit out the balls from bust bearings in the diffs, so I'll stick with those and recommend them to anyone.  Not sure about the GPM ones, I didn't much like the look of them, but that doesn't mean to say they're rubbish.

Thing is, as they're

I've always stuck with the axial bevel HD gears. They're that tough I've had them chew up and spit out the balls from bust bearings in the diffs, so I'll stick with those and recommend them to anyone. Not sure about the GPM ones, I didn't much like the look of them, but that doesn't mean to say they're rubbish.

Thing is, as they're

Edited by shaunm

Bit of an update on my prop issues, asiatees have come good and replaced the prop without quibble,excelent service as usual! Now it's being replaced I've stripped it down to identify the fault, iy apears that one of the pins in the uj has damage to it, its seized almost completely have even soaked it in wd40, its not rusty or dirty so my guess is its a small burr on the shaft hole causing the issue.

Whilst my new prop is on it's way I've orderd the hd axial bevel gears at the same time as asiatees had them in stock.

One thing I would say is if you have a waranty issue with parts asiatees asked for pics or a video of the fault, understandable realy in my nievety I forgot so to save time I would recomend sending pics and or video with a waranty claim!

• Like 1

Your first link is to the XL panels.

Byron, you can get the panels from many of the big US online stores. My preference for the bonnet was the AMF, which I got from RPP.

The roof and sides though, I just made those myself from ally and styrene, respectively.

If you want a replacement lexan body, then they can be found all over the place.

Yeah ideally looking for panels ready made and finished as not really got the time or talent go make my own lol

As zombi said making your own isn't to hard, I made mine from black abs plastic and cut using tin snips.

I got a set of ssd beadlock wheels for the yeti, spent an hour last night fitting them up, they seem very tight or am I doing something wrong any tips or advice please?

Edited by shaunm

Unlikely methinks.  If they fit together just fine without the tyres and foams on, you know your wheels are ok. Usually this sort of grief is down to foam and tyres choice, which is why i got the wider clamp rings from Banners for my Methods as it also helps fitment.

What tyres and foams are you running?