• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

I have been following the yeti on and off since its release with some interest.. I'm now at the point where I'm seriously considering buying the yeti kit .. I have a power plant I'm thinking of using a losi 2800kv motor which is a copy of the castle 1415 but with more poke IMO ! . With that I'm going down the wpsc8 route for a esc and servo I'm not to sure on yet (speed or torque) radio gear will be my trusty spekky .

This is the kit I found

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361231579783

As you can see it is just under

Wheels, tyres and hubs. Stock running gear is poor. The wheels will lose their bead, the tyres are hard with minimal grip. Hubs, well you might as well whilst you're at it.

Having damaged my diff slider in scotland last week I have replaced with a wraith slider from radshape. Its stainless steel so should absorb a fair amount of abuse, the one thing that concerns me is the fixing points, they fix on the top of the axle picking up the two spare holes in the diff brace. This means it is posible for it to flex on the standard plastic casing however I plan to upgrade the axle at some point in the future anyway so I'll run it as is for now and see what hapens!

20150513_201807_zpshkwukwxc.jpg

20150513_201745_zpsdgke5e3o.jpg

I recall banners having one if these and he actually liked it, so you might be all good.

Wheels, tyres and hubs. Stock running gear is poor. The wheels will lose their bead, the tyres are hard with minimal grip. Hubs, well you might as well whilst you're at it.

I thought the kit wheels and tyres were different and better quality ?? 

Any links to said items would be much appreciated as well 

Thanks  :thumbsup:

As far as I'm aware they're not exactly an improvement over RTR.

Links... were there's a vast array of options out there. If you want to know what i've used, the details are in my build thread.

I recall banners having one if these and he actually liked it, so you might be all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Having had trouble getting the correct hex to fit my gpm wheel hubs (supposed to be a direct fit ha!) I decided to grind down the axial ones!

Before

20150423_174524_zpsexgl1goe.jpg

After

20150525_145105_zpsjxzestij.jpg

20150525_145123_zpspn3ugwrp.jpg

As you can see they are now the correct width to fit the hub meaning the wheel nut now fits over the nylock end as it should as a pose to being short and running the risk of loosing a nut and a wheel comeing off!!

These are the hubs that are a suposed direct replacement.

20150423_174554_zpsvuovyyyo.jpg

And the issue before the mod

20150423_174545_zpsv6zyevsh.jpg

Yeah I bought some of these 9mm hubs to test them out and was disappointed to see they didn't work with the axial hexes.  I don't intend to change my hexes so I'll stick with VP hubs.  I gave my GPM ones to Banners, hopefully he'll give them a good home.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, off to the peaks you come with us then!

Quite possibly will do, just depends on who else goes :whistling:

Any how, back to all things yeti, what's the crack with these wheels? I would prefer to use everyday type beadlocks if possible but is this possible with the daft stock arrangement?

Lol fear not - those in your thoughts are rarely with us.

The stock wheels are naff, and you'll lose you beads on them pretty often. Like I say to anyone that asks, wheels, tyres and hubs are the first things you should swap out even before they wear out on you. 

Yeah another read of the thread has shown that.

Now not to be rude but why all vanquish stuff? A lot is overpriced stuff same as rc4wd, is it just for bling?

Also going to get some axial cvd's for it, had them in all my axial stuff and it's the one thing I always do.

I think this is going to get costly.....

TBH I've been impressed with all of GPM's stuff so far bar from one piece (the ally bell crank) and that broke because I locked it out, so even then it's unfair of me to even say that.

So I'd recommend looking on Asiatees for upgrades if you want to keep spending low. DO NOT buy the wheels though, oddly they only come with the front of the rims, not the backs.  

TBH I've been impressed with all of GPM's stuff so far bar from one piece (the ally bell crank) and that broke because I locked it out, so even then it's unfair of me to even say that.

So I'd recommend looking on Asiatees for upgrades if you want to keep spending low. DO NOT buy the wheels though, oddly they only come with the front of the rims, not the backs.

That's why I asked, yeah I have bought vanquish items in the past, (exo motor mount, wraith steering links) and been over joyed with them, but as you say gpm, strc etc are just as good for a fraction of the cost.

My lad had some 3 racing cvd's for his scx10 same time I bought the axial ones for mine and to be honest, they both still look as good as new now as they did over 3 years ago, hence my asking......

You know I've been looking at the wheels and wondered why they were only what appeared to be half of the rim....

Money isn't a issue, but I would rather spend money where it's needed and not so much where it isn't if that makes sense?

Thanks for the help though, appreciate it. Should really go through it, fitted a ec3 connector, spektrum rx and had a go, nothing like what I usually do but it's a mix of cba/not having enough spare time to strip and rebuild...... Lazy I know :whistling:

I've put a fair amount of GPM items on my Yeti XL (entire steering mechanism, upper and lower trailing arms, top brace, shock tower, trailing arm supports, motor mount and plate) and they've not let me down yet despite the stress and strain on them when that truck cartwheels. I had to do some grinding on the top brace where there was some binding with the top of the servo saver but other than that they've been good.

Was also my first time using Asiatees and they shipped so quick I had the parts 4 days later.

I really want to get its little brother but I'm worried that it will also be a money pit like the XL. Even getting batteries that fit the tray was an adventure.

I'm not sure my wallet will survive the latest round of upgrades for the YXL. At least I may not if my partner sees my credit card bill.

Did you see this? http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chassis-suspension/536692-cbe-rc-fab-s-yeti-x.html. Replacing the front end with that of a Slash and bolting it down with a new top plate and steel skid plate. 

Well my first piece of advice is to not bother running it on 2S at all, it'll be disappointing according to everything I've read from people that tried 2S then moved up to 3S...