• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SkyRC Toro Beast large scale brushless controller

53HRA

not sure on run times as never really used it till battery ran down, I was using a pair of thunder power 8s 5000mah 70c, was just trying it out at the time, the 10s I have is 10000 mah the 12s is 8000 mah that's max size I could get in battery box, not very high c rating but I bought them for the run time,

Probably to stay with the mantra "volt up, gear down". It reduces current draw and is therefore easier on the ESC. The ESC doesn't have to carry as much Ampage, it also suffers less volt drop which would be caused by the cells struggling to keep up with the motors demands.

• Like 1

I've got one of these thats been running well in a 5b, paired with a Toro Beast 910kv motor. I'm stripping/rebuilding the car at the moment so should have it running in a week or so. I've got a Toro 780kv to try in it as I'd like more torque than top-end but will try it on the 910 to start with.

I'm also waiting on a skylink and progbox for it as I want to check the settings first.

I think these must be a v2? The 'original' 200A escs had the twin fans on them. I'll be keeping an eye on the temps to see if they need retro-fitting in my application (if the ESC holds together!) but from what I've read, it handles the heat well.

Interrestingly, SKYRC also sell Bluetooth and WIFI modules for it. They're touting them for firmware upgrades but it'd be useful if you could get some telemetry back this way. I'll report on the logging/programming software once I've received the skylink. From what I've seen it's not as polished as Castle's.

Some thing I'm not too sure of is that it has a throttle/rx connection, plus 2 BEC outputs. I'm wondering if, with the ESC connected to the RX and receiving throttle signals down the signal wire, whether it'll provide BEC voltages over the power wire? If not I'd need to run a second lead between the BEC output back to the RX (and presumably cut the supply wire on the throttle link) there's no mention about this and no response yet from SKYRC who I mailed last nigt (doesn't bode well for the support does it..!)

Saviown: Out of curiosity, are you running any fan cooling on your motor? My old Castle-converted Baja had the twin-fan shroud Castle provide for their 2028 but I notice none of the HPI Flux's run them any more. My Toro motor wasn't fitted with any additional cooling by the previous owner as it didn't seem to need it. I'm just wondering how many 1/5 scale brushless owners actually find they need one on their motors. It's gotta be one less thing to cause problems if the temps are low enough.

Edited by darrenelmslie

Never used a fan on our 2028's, never been a need, even on the hottest of days. Their overall performance and reliability has been fantastic; think in, I fitted one to the losing 5ive and despite getting hot (hitting 31,500rpm on 10s, oops!) it pulled like a train, well over 50mph which in a 5ive, I consider excellent performance.

Watching the vid of this ESC in action, it seems to run smoothly with no cogging, and it does sound exactly like the xl2 in every way, lol. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

• Like 1

I have, in the past emailed skyrc, many  times, never received a reply, I wont be buying their products again

Same with me until I phoned them. This opened an email correspondence.  Were helpful and bent over backwards for me.  (albeit, unrelated product)

• Like 1

Thats awesome Noj. I'm keen to do a brushless 5ive in the future. Great to hear that even in a more confined space and with more of a load from the geartrain, that motor cooling at least on the 2028 isn't an issue.

I guess it'll be dictated a bit by motor timing; but that aside, they must be damn efficient; they're up in the 7kw range after all, that's a lot of energy it's getting rid of.

As a slight aside, I'mamazed no-one makes a dual-lipo alarm. Pretty much all large scale are running more than a single pack aren't they? I'm thinking of running a pair of the bog-standard alams (although I'm using cased versions) mounted on the battery box. It won't be as neat as it could be but it'll work.

That's good to hear Tug. Is that value with any motor cooling?

I didn't realise the Toro esc had data logging. I was eventually going to use an EagleTree I had spare to log the lipo, esc and motor temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used a fan, was tempted to get one until I saw one in use with all its blades snapped off from a few jumps.

• Like 1

I think the sound is generated by the ESC, on start up the ESC agitates the rotor and makes it ring, that's what makes the beeps that you hear. What I was referring to was the sound of the motor as the car is actually on the move, very reminiscent of any car powered by a Castle ESC, regardless of the motor connected to it.

I think the sound is generated by the ESC, on start up the ESC agitates the rotor and makes it ring, that's what makes the beeps that you hear. What I was referring to was the sound of the motor as the car is actually on the move, very reminiscent of any car powered by a Castle ESC, regardless of the motor connected to it.

well the motor looks like a clone and the esc appears to have similar characteristics, this might prove to be a good buy!

Seconded. If companies like sky are upping their game in terms of ESC reliability for fifth scale, it can only be a good thing for the hobby.

The number of large scale BL builds on this forum is on the up, fo sho! Has the I/C beast had its day?? ;)

Seconded. If companies like sky are upping their game in terms of ESC reliability for fifth scale, it can only be a good thing for the hobby.

The number of large scale BL builds on this forum is on the up, fo sho! Has the I/C beast had its day?? ;)

Antagonist! ;)

IC is here to stay, that's a cert, but so is BL. As Noj has said, we need more companies producing largescale leccy systems. The more there are, the more competitive they'll get.

For example, look at MGM, it was only in the last year, maybe two, that they introduced their "lite" range. This is clearly their way of fighting back against the likes of HW and Hobbyking. Even Castle have had to rethink their range and released the cheaper smooth can motors and cheaper ESCs. Look at the Mamba Monster 2! The fan is no longer integral, it's no longer thermostatically controlled! It just plugs into the Rx separately to the ESC plug. This is all done to lower manufacturing costs!

So yes, more companies making large leccy stuff is a must!

• Like 2