• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Teamsaxo innovative F1-future RC car

53HRA

F1 future?! I promise everyone that F1 will never ever have four wheels at the front for steering. This looks like a 5 year old's dream racing machine not a F1 car!

You know there was a F1 car like that?....maybe one day it will happen again...who knows. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_Racing#mediaviewer/File:ScheckterJody1976-07-31Tyrrell-FordP34.jpg

You know there was a F1 car like that?....maybe one day it will happen again...who knows. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_Racing#mediaviewer/File:ScheckterJody1976-07-31Tyrrell-FordP34.jpg

Oh. I never knew. 

I read that it was developed to reduce aerodynamic drag of the front wheels, increase the road to tyre area, and spread out the brakes. But today brakes and tyres are good anyway, and this design would only cause steering problems as the wheels would want to spin at different rates, not mentioning it would make the pit-stop time longer!

The current F1 rules also forbid it.

Tyrell tried the 6 wheel layout with 4 at the front, March tried it with 4 at the rear, to reduce the size of rear wheels and reduce drag without loss of contact patch. Lots of things have been tried...but most have been banned. 4WD, ground effect, fans to suck a car onto the track etc. etc.

I presume F1 RC racing has less restrictive rulebooks :)

• Like 1

i seen that 6 wheeled race car at Silverstone when i was a kid, thanks that brings good memories back, 4 wheel steering lol!

At the time, Ken's idea was a smaller frontal area, giving less air / wind resistance, and potentially more front grip.

It was quite successful if I remember, but changing 6 wheels is never going to be as fast as changing 4 ...

Of course 'pre-Bernie' or not, politics saw the end of it .....

Still, it was great at hillclimbs as well.

Al.

...Also makes the car much heavier

Not massively so, have you ever felt how heavy a racing car's wheel actually is? It would only be a couple of extra kg, which they can then take out of the ballast they put in anyway. So actual weight change would be negligible 

And also, If they put in the 6 extra pit crew or so, It wouldn't add any time, just more chance of time being added. If that makes sense.

Edited by ReggieC

Not massively so, have you ever felt how heavy a racing car's wheel actually is? It would only be a couple of extra kg, which they can then take out of the ballast they put in anyway. So actual weight change would be negligible 

And also, If they put in the 6 extra pit crew or so, It wouldn't add any time, just more chance of time being added. If that makes sense.

Well, extra brake disks and calipers, wheel hubs, differentials, suspension arms and springs, and the steering mechanism for 4 wheels might make a slight difference to weight. But I agree with you that the wheels only would not really affect it.

And also... It would be harder to change the tyres in a busy space especially when passing the new tyres and taking the old ones away. 

Another problem would be that you would have to have very soft differentials for the front wheels, which would mean you would need to do that also for the rear to eliminate the huge over-steer.