• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Super 5SC Flux

sean-vrs

My Savvy was less than 350, but most of it is stock parts, no RPM or the like. I reckon an S5 could be built for another 100. That's just off the top of my head.

The thing about the S5 is it doesn't need much upgrading, ally steering rack, decent servo, CD conversion and a decent combo.

Steering rack is about twenty quid posted, that's that sorted.

Servo; either go all out like I did with a high torque Hitec, or have a look on HK, they've got loads of servos. Final option is a 1/5 servo, no torque worries with those.

CD from Alza is great and inexpensive. Kershaw does an open gearbox design that allows for far greater variation in gearing thus allowing the use of 780kv and higher. I prefer the simplicity of the Alza design coupled with super low kv, as you know.

Combo? World's your oyster! If you go with a Savvy gearbox, you can easily get the parts to fit a CD inside, then get motor clamps to suit your chosen 1/8 motor from Dejan at Alza. This method would allow you to use a 1717 without wringing its neck, unlike the CD conversion which I felt was pushing the 1717 just a little too hard, but I could be wrong on that.

If you go with the CD conversion, you're better off with a 1/5 combo. Low kv and 7 or 8S, this is looking like the best option, but I can't confirm until I get some proper runtime this summer. The 380kv can be ordered through Kershaw.

As I said, the rest remains stock, closed wheel design means it doesn't take the same kind of knocks and bumps that a normal Savvy would! The huge bumpers and huge bodyshell protect the wishbones and suspension components from all manner of crashes and spills.

Last thing I need to address is the stub axles, they're rubbish.

That's enough threadjacking for one day! ;)

• Like 3

Them stub axles Tug are a blatent design fault they have the hex pin hole right up against the thread leaving very little material left, thats where mine gave way.

Mine was from the EBay store mate, not sure why you can't find them otherwise though.

Edited by sean-vrs

That's fair enough, don't mind talking about it here, just didn't want to threadjack you Sean, I know a lot of folks on here get their panties in a bunch lol.

I've always liked short course and I do enjoy large scale, so for me, it'd be ideal.

In that video you posted (the longer of the ones you posted) is that stock electrics and 6s Sean?

I'd be happy with about 20-25mph, as I would just use it for general bashing and louting around, over like speed running from one end of a field to the other.

I've got my badger for that.

Just thinking I don't really want the cost of a 1/5 BL system, or the cost of the 8s LiPos and the charger to go with it, seems very expensive when I don't actually want it to be all that fast.

That's fair enough, don't mind talking about it here, just didn't want to threadjack you Sean, I know a lot of folks on here get their panties in a bunch lol.

I've always liked short course and I do enjoy large scale, so for me, it'd be ideal.

In that video you posted (the longer of the ones you posted) is that stock electrics and 6s Sean?

I'd be happy with about 20-25mph, as I would just use it for general bashing and louting around, over like speed running from one end of a field to the other.

I've got my badger for that.

Just thinking I don't really want the cost of a 1/5 BL system, or the cost of the 8s LiPos and the charger to go with it, seems very expensive when I don't actually want it to be all that fast.

Yea Stock electrics and gearing mate, get 37mph on Garmin GPS I can see 40 being achievable on a good day,

Running 6s 5500mah 35C packs, also got 20 mins runtime with cells finishing at 3.7A each this was due to me destroying a stub axle with a curb!

Edited by sean-vrs
  • Like 1

On stock electrics, the motor is suffering more misery, closely followed by the ESC.

However, I'm confident that stock leccy bits on 5s would survive even a warm day.

Or switch to the HW 1800kv combo and rag that on 6s. The HW finned can fits into the stock clamps (apparently) and it's lower Kv, higher torque, makes it better suited than the 2200.

Returning to shells, briefly, having owned both, the proper 5sc shell is far tougher and, with the gaping hole in the back, easier to access the on switch with ;)

This the small things that count...

Is that needed?

Not really sure what a cap pack actually is :whistling::xd:

It's not needed mate, it just acts like a battery when you ask for 100% is gets discharged quickly the cap bank will help keep this stable and also hold more capacity hence less stress on the ESC.

Yea that's fine chaps, 5s it is..

I can do temps etc too just not been necessary the Times ice been out, been brass monkeys.

• Like 1

It's not needed mate, it just acts like a battery when you ask for 100% is gets discharged quickly the cap bank will help keep this stable and also hold more capacity hence less stress on the ESC.

Yea that's fine chaps, 5s it is..

I can do temps etc too just not been necessary the Times ice been out, been brass monkeys.

Cheers :) just whatever you can get dude, I just want to know what your thoughts are in comparison to 6s basically.