• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Schumacher Rascal

smallman28

dsc01643km0.jpg

Why buy it?

For me it was a case of wanting something I could just get out now and again and have a quick burn with!

I have two 1/6th FGs but they are big and difficult/awkward to find places to use them,at least with the Schumacher I can just chuck in some fuel and run it either in the garden or outside my house,although that probabaly isn't recommended in the instructions :whistling:

What do you get?

I purchased the full combo from Modelsport which gives you everything you need to run the car even down to batteries for the radio gear,although the ones I had for the receiver in the car were out of date and flat,it was no big deal for me anyway as I was going to use rechargables from the outset.

Seeing as the combo package includes a glow starter I was suprised to find a one already included in the box,it was a battery powered version though which requires a large D cell type battery.

There was also a plug spanner and a 500ml fuel bottle included along with a few basic tools such as some allen keys and an adjuster for the uppper links/steering rods.

The radio gear is basic 27mhz AM,the transmitter is the stick type and is rather bulky to say the least,but it does work.

I fitted a Futaba 40mhz AM system that I already had,purely for the fact that it has end point adjustment which I prefer and not cause the supplied stuff didn't work.

The instructions are comprehensive in that they cover all aspects of the car with diagrams and enough information to take it apart and put it all back together without any major issues.

The sections on tuning the engine are okay,they dont go into huge detail but give you enough to get you going although total newbies might be hindered by them slightly.

Getting going!

I went around the car and checked everything was tight,I made sure the needles were at the factory settings and the idle was at the point it was supposed to be.

After putting batteries in everything and charging the glow stater I was ready to go!

Priming the engine proved to be a bit of an issue,trying to hold a finger over the exhaust pipe whilst pulling the pull start and trying to watch so see if the fuel was going into the carb was a job that needed another hand.

Because the car is so small and there isn't anything obvious on it to hold whilst you operate the pullstart and try to block the exhaust,in the end I cheated and took off the pressure pipe and blew the fuel into the carb instead.

Once that was done I did the old trick of heating up the engine with a hair dryer to get some heat into it to make it easier to start.

I put the glow started on and pulled,and pulled and pulled but got no-where :confused:

After some messing around I upped the idle a bit and eventually got it going but it was very rich and kept cutting out.

I got a couple of runs on it despite this and we seemed to be getting somewhere,slowly.

Some things I found after the first couple of runs

The exhaust set up is a bit poor to say the least.

The silencer itself is just a push fit on to the engine and there is just an O ring to seal it,suffice to say it doesn't seal very well and there was a lot of mess around the back of the engine which was not helped by the very rich settings I was running it in on.

dsc01646hn1.jpg

I removed the silencer and put some exhaust sealant on it to give a better seal which seems to have largely cured it.

The other thing that came back to haunt me was the starting problems I had encountered before.

I just couldn't get it going again after the first few successful runs I had had.

I adjusted the idle again but this just caused the car to creep forward on its own,any lower and it just kept cutting out again :confused:

This time I looked a bit closer at the LSN,I screwed it in almost 1/2 a turn from where it was from the factory setting,this time it fired into life and it wanted to take off on its own now due to me having turned up the idle so much to compensate :whistling:

I turned the idle back down from where I had turned it up before and it was just fine,a bit more fine tuning on the LSN and I now have a great take off speed and the car doesn't move at idle.

I am still messing around with the HSN as I think I can lean it out a bit more yet but I ran out of good weather as it has been raining for nearly 24 hours now.

Conclusions.

The build quality is really good I feel,it is a solid little machine that looks like it will take quite a beating.

I wouldn't suggest people buy this thinking it is a "real" off roader,it does go off-road but I found grass that was only a couple of inches high really impeeds speed and performance.

Personally I think it would be better suited to very short grass and areas with a compacted dirt surface or small loose gravel,or tarmac of course.

The engine settings could do with maybe being a bit more accurate from the factory to make it a bit more user friendly and a re-think of the exhaust wouldn't hurt either.

Overall its a great little car that was only slightly spoiled by the leaky exhaust and the incorrect needle settings.

2 Speed gears.

I have recently fitted the 2 speed gears.

dsc01645nx8.jpg

There is quite a bit of disassembly involved in doing so though.

The layshaft that the spur gear fits to is no longer long enough to accomodate the 2 spur gears that make up the 2 speed so the gear box has to be taken apart to fit the new one supplied.

Its quite a chore to dismatle to back end just to fit one shaft but it has to be done :D

Other than that its not to bad to fit just a bit fiddly.

I did run into a slight problem though.

With the original set-up the brake rod runs over the top of the spur gear and only clears it by a few mm's,with the new gears of the 2 speed though the brake rod was catching on the 1st gear when the brake was applied :confused:

I managed to get around this by turning the "loop" that the brake rod goes through up the other way and bending the rod slightly so it clears the gears easily.

dsc01648uv3.jpg

I dont know if it is a "problem" or wether or not I did something wrong in reassembling the car but it works okay now.

The only other thing is I cant hear a distinct shift when it changes gear.

I am sure it is changing gear as there is a definate speed increase and the engine revs are also less at full throttle than they were before so it has to be alright :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

tuned exhasut makes a massive difference especially bottom end

my brother has made one for his and u cant really accelerate as it jus goes off into a massive wheely funny though

Its a proper pipe for a .18 when he says made hi bnodged the mounts and eblows, cuplers and stuff for it :P

And it makes a huge difference :o wheelie alllllll day long!

And the eingine well i wont go there :whistling: ........... care to comment andy :P

fast as buggery (you know what the proper word id :whistling: )

run in the best way possible i assume that is why

i think turner boy will tell you the run in details

• 2 months later...

i know i'm not smallman but.....

no not really.

tbh i think they're absolutely rubbish. the exhaust leaks oil so you have to clean it all the time. it's too small to run on grass. everything is all squashed up so it's not easy to put back together. and the bodyshels are extremely weak.

tbh you'd be wasting your money buying one......i know I did.

B)-->

QUOTE(Matt B @ Jun 17 2007, 11:03 AM)
Sorry to bump this thread again, but is it still proving to be good Smallman? As i might get one of these sometime in the near future, saves the hassle of running a nig nitro :lol:

Still going strong,I haven't used it in anger for a while but by coincidence I stuck a bit of fuel in today and started it up,started easily on the 5th pull :o

If I were to buy anything now I would probably get the Riot,basically a bigger Rascal.

I was thinking of getting some of the Riot parts such as the suspension arms to make a wider Rascal and maybe getting a proper exhaust to fit.

Then I came to my senes and said why?

For how much I use it I will leave it as it is I think :D