• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New / Old RC Maverick Question...

sk1pr@

Hi all,

I used to be a member on rcuniverse some years ago when the savage25 was the big thing. I still have it and just bought my 12yr old a ftx carnage for crimbo to see if I can get him in to it (outside!) rather than spending his time indoors on consoles.

Here's the thing. I always wanted a 1/5 petrol MT and was just looking at the hpi Maverick Blackout. I like it, but am a little bumused as to what I've read on here about all the mods required from stock to get it where it needs to be. What I've read is pre-2013 when I believe the newer version then came out. If I were to buy one now would all of these issues when it was first released now been uprated as part of the new release or is there still lots to do before taking out even to run in?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Andy

Andy,

I think you need to be a bit careful about what you read here.

I had a late version of the original MT and now, with my Baja 5Bss and my XL Octane have an XB (got the 'XB before the Octane). 

I had problems with getting the original MT started, which In the end I fixed by replacing the carburettor, I also had a throttle servo fail after a few hours of running, but other than that it was pretty solid. My XB has been no trouble at all although I don't run any of my models much. I have an engineering background, and from this perspective, having examined both close up (in fact when I finished with it, I dismantled the MT competely). They appear to be well engineered and robustly made. But I guess it depends how you use them, and what you want from them. I personally don't thrash my models to within an inch of their lives so probably don't get the problems that others may have.

Hope this helps

Harvey

• Like 1

I personally think the blackout mt is a great truck but as with all rc's they're not perfect.

Servos aren't the best but are useable, to prolong their life make sure the endpoints are set properly.

The body shell is also a weak point and is prone to cracking/splitting easily, shoe goo or duct taping the inside helps to stop it.

The chassis is quite open to the elements so outer wears on the air filter and pull start are beneficial.

...... The people in the factory putting them together seem to like their thread lock too(maybe a little too much ;) )

Thanks for the replies gents, appreciate all feedback. What's an XB? I was looking at the XL octane also, but want the 1/5 scale. Strengthening the shell is cool I can have a play with that. I am unsure of how to set the limits on the servos, but am sure it's only a youtube clip away :)

So after 4 years or so after this truck was released they have decided not to uprate any of it inc. servos? The 2013 version is a new yellow/black shiny shell, but cannot get a like for like up on the net to see what was changed between the initial truck and what they sell now. Does anyone know?

Thanks again

Oh, and thought I might add that my usage will be mostly grass field / tarmac. Maybe, small ramp (foot high) and basically just so that I have something more reliable to take out with my son to keep him interested.

As well as the recent colour change for the shell .... Maverick did attend to quite a few of the issues with the original truck.

There were a lot of issues with stripped gears...and now they are all metal.

Servos are supposed to be better, but I don;t know for sure firsthand

Shells were ABS rather than Lexan, which is not strong enough in my view. Various ways to deal with that

If they are jumped big time, you can bend the chassis...Hebby did that to his.... but that requires serious abuse.

Also consider how many people have bought the truck and not complained. People tend to report problems and issues with a vehicle, whilst they won't post a thread saying 'ran my truck and it was fine' .... If you read lots of threads saying the same thing breaks, and nobody has a cure/fix ... then worry.

• Like 2

Cheers Hyper-d, now seen.

Cheers Nitroholic appreciate the feedback and totally agree Re: peoples views and frequency of reported issues as apposed to good ones.

I'm going to get one I've made my mind up. Now to find best place to get one! Anyone have favourable sites / shops?

Thanks,

Andy

i have a blackout and love it, but to let it use its legs it needs a large area

it has the turning circle of a small barge, i think each wheel/tyre is something like 900grams!

Who needs to turn when you can just plough straight over stuff :)
  • Like 1

Well, it arrived christmas eve and all I have managed to do since it arrived is charge the hump pack, buy some 2 stroke oil and will look to break her in at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on. I'll make sure I sort the limits on the steering and throttle servos before taking her out and prob gaffe tape the inside of the shell. Already been looking at the CPI Racing tuned pipe in black, but struggling with paying an additional

Well, it arrived christmas eve and all I have managed to do since it arrived is charge the hump pack, buy some 2 stroke oil and will look to break her in at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on. I'll make sure I sort the limits on the steering and throttle servos before taking her out and prob gaffe tape the inside of the shell. Already been looking at the CPI Racing tuned pipe in black, but struggling with paying an additional

• Like 1

Cheers Sean.

I'll run it in then tune. If I find it like you've said; bit flat, I'll go for a new pipe. Has anyone ran the equivalent plug to the NGK and gone for a champion etc? Just wondered if it would aid new pipe or not.

Cheers