• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

charging and storing my lipos

badenemy

hi to all i have got 4 gens ace 5000mah 50c 2s lipos and an overlander 4 button charger im wanting to know when i charge it on a balanced charge what amp should i use 5.0 is what i think it is but it could be 0.5 just want to make sure also would like to know what amp to use when using store mode thank you for your help.

Nope. You can always charge LiPos at 1c so in this case, 5000Mah = 5.0Ah. So on the charger, set it it to 5.0ah and you will be fine.

Many newer and better quality cells allow you to charge at multiple C, but I would stick with 1C as you need to know what your doing and having asked the question you have, I would stick to standard charging protocol.

Charge and store at the same rate of 1c, in your case, 5.0a as you thought. The storage mode will measure cell voltages until 60% capacity is reached :)

thank you just one other thing if you have, an overlander 4 button charger is there a setting to tell me what the battery is currently at.

Nope. You can always charge LiPos at 1c so in this case, 5000Mah = 5.0Ah. So on the charger, set it it to 5.0ah and you will be fine.

Many newer and better quality cells allow you to charge at multiple C, but I would stick with 1C as you need to know what your doing and having asked the question you have, I would stick to standard charging protocol.

ok so charge at 5.0 and 7.4v 2s and store at the exact same ?

I have a sigma charger which is basically the same thing but with a 6a charger rate. On my one there is no button to give you a reading for what is going on with the cells which is annoying so what I end up doing is putting the battery on storage charge and toggling to the balance screen so I can see each cells voltage.

Edited by optimus
  • Like 1

Can't remember exactly but I had a similar charger previously and I could hook up a battery and press one of the four buttons and it would display the cell voltages. I was doing what Optimus does before I accidentally discovered I could check voltages with it being in some sort of cycle. Alternatively you can buy LiPo checkers, Fusion Smart Guard is popular at our field. Gives you % left in pack etc...

your lipo battery is infact two batterys in one unit.

each of the two batterys inside a 2s lipo hold 4.2volts when fully charged.

and to keep them in tip top condition you should store them at 3.8v.

your battery charger when placed into storage mode, will read each battery in you pack.

it will then make the calculations and start the charging sequence. when each cell in your battery reaches 3.8 volts

the charger shuts down.

your lipos are now safe to store, BUT they need to be looked after and checked every few days / week.

YOU as the USER MUST check the voltage of your battery and make sure it does NOT drop Below 6.6 - 6.8 volts

while in storage.

Most of us guys have had lipo battery a while, BUT we all store them in the same way.

Myself i use an old wwII Ammo can , when locked into the can the batterys are safe and

if something happens are contained

We all have a lipo checker/alarm at hand to. very helpful electronic device that reads the batterys state

and shows the user. it will usually show each battery cell and its voltage, and the total voltage of the battery pack in full.

some will even warn when the battery has a fault showing an error or a none voltage reading.

so a re-cap : lipo alarm - somewhere safe to keep batterys - store battery so each cell has 3.8 - 3.9 volts in each one.

Check your battery from time to time keeping you safe your batterys at optimal and the hobby alive  

• Like 1