• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

present for 4 year old boy. (ftx siege brushed edition)

rytis

hi i have been about 8 years in RC hobby. cars only...never had electric... had a few nitros and now have a petrol baja. l am thinking of buying a first hobby grade RC car to my son. he is almost 4 years old. there are loads of toy cars around which would be cheaper, but if something brakes it would be impossible to buy and change broken parts. l am thinking about 1/10 scale 2WD electric FTX siege:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-siege-1-10th-brushed-rtr-2wd-electric-truggy-red/rc-car-products/383076

my question is:

is it possible to make the car go slower if my son will want to play with it inside?

thanks....

rytis

1/10th scale, so far far too big to play with inside, unless you live in a warehouse, aircraft hanger, sports centre ;)

A four year old will find a full sized pistol grip controller difficult to use, depending on their hand size.

For indoor use, a 1/36 or 1/24 is fine, these models are limited in terms of outdoor use however.

I have a maverick ion for my little lad, he's 3 and half.

It's a 1/18th, he uses that inside and out.

It can be trimmed down enough for him to play with around the house.

He also loves recovering it when he rolls it with other 'normal' toys.

1/10th scale, so far far too big to play with inside, unless you live in a warehouse, aircraft hanger, sports centre ;)

A four year old will find a full sized pistol grip controller difficult to use, depending on their hand size.

For indoor use, a 1/36 or 1/24 is fine, these models are limited in terms of outdoor use however.

thanks for reply... l know that 1/10 scale is a bit too big for playing inside and that's why l need to know is it possible to make it go slower. l promised him a "big car" for Christmas and l just don't know what to do. there are loads of massive RC toy grade jeeps with massive wheels etc, but the problem is that they costs from 35 to 65ish pounds and if something brakes boy will be sad and dad will be not able to fix it :(

hpi mini recon for my girl, the tx is miniture too.

my memory is playing up... after reading your post and nickname l remembered that l had mini revo vxl which was ELECTRIC and l sold to you as far as l can remember   :030:  . l have seen mini recon once in real life and it looked like guy had fun playing with it. l think it will be my first choise if there is no way to slow FTX siege down.

so is it possible to make the car not to go at max speed even if the throttle has been pressed to the max ? in other words does electric cars has throttle trim on the radio or receiver like nitro or petrol cars?

thanks... 

rytis

Depends on the tx that comes with the car, some will have epa which you can turn down to limit power delivery when the trigger is pulled, others don't.

I still say that a 10th scale, at any speed, is just not feasible for indoors. I accept your point about the supermarket specials, utter rubbish and once broken, that's it, however, even at a slower speed, a trapped 10th scale, with proper rubber tyres and an eager 'go' finger on the throttle will quickly destroy whatever they are resting on. Likewise the steering, it won't take kindly to the crash impacts that frequent the average family home.

How quickly will the wee lad get bored of going forwards four feet, then backwards four feet ad infinitum?? Perhaps use your own RC to show him why a big car is no fun indoors?

Ive just got a ripmax coyote for my boys 5th birthday. Its 1/18 so could be used indoors but is made for outdoors. It also has leds which i think he will love. Parts are cheap too!

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ripmax-coyote-1-18th-truggy-ep/rc-car-products/384323

Edited by Tear101