• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ's KV1 Heavy Metal Russian Armour

.AJ.

A bit more work done this evening

20141202_214720_zpsl7shgyaw.jpg

Stripped out the electrics and made a new deck using 2mm abs sheet, this is the layout I'm looking to use, the new control board will go between the gearboxes and smoker and the RX next to the smoker

The IBU2 Pro has been paid for and should receive it tomorrow, also sorted a project box to use as a speaker inclosure

And done a cheeky rctank.de order for a few nice scale parts :)

Edited by .AJ.

IBU2 Pro arrived today, before fitting I thought I better sort out the servo recoil

20141203_171239_zpsht4bausb.jpg

Not pretty but works well, I used a spring for the linkage as the travel of the servo is a lot larger than the recoil available, at least this way I have no chance of burning the servo out

The new heart of the beast

20141203_190214_zpskgbwnr4q.jpg

First impressions are awesome, drives as well and if not better than my Leopard now and the sound is really good, the extra sound samples worked off channel 6 are great fun, I'll get a vid up soon

I much prefer the 4:1 speeds. Not only does it make the tank more scale in terms of speed...but it also makes it more driveable. Gone is the silly speed sharp turn :)

Layout looks nice and neat. Not at all cramped to my eyes....I'm trying to fit all this stuff into a much shorter hull! I might follow your lead and go LiPo on mine too. A shortie LiPo mounted cross wise on the chassis would free up quite a bit of space...it's just the thought of having to split the hull every time I want to charge it.

That's what I like about the Taigen / Torro metal hull tanks. Flick one little lever and the upper hull just lifts off.

The 4:1 gearboxes are sweet and just so much better quality than any of the earlier gearboxes. Have to see how the new hi torgue motors work in the Torro Tiger but the radio I'll be using allows for adjusting the throttle profiles includimg response times so I can fine tune the motors to the tank.

John

Nice, the IBU has all the adjustments for scale speed etc it also has a Momentum setting were the tank keeps rolling after the throttle has stopped being applied and then slows to a stop, very cool and you can also tap the brakes to make stop quicker

The Clark board has momentum...but it's on or off, not variable.

I like the engine pitch change for simulated gearchanges....that's a nice touch.

I think, once we have all these systems up and running, we need a sticky thread for tank electrics. Between us, we will have the 3 main aftermarket control boards and a load of extra bits and pieces which all add to the features. Piling info like that where it's easy to find will help bring people in and give a reference to people who may not know what IBU2 or ELMOD actually are. Prices...availability....where to buy...main features...programmability....that sort of thing.

• Like 1

One thing I do like about the Elmod is being able to create custom tank profiles on your PC. You can configure all aspects of the physics engine to tailor the responsiveness, momentum, acceleration and braking etc. and create your own sound profiles and the firmware can be updated. Emergency braking is there as well even when you're using momentum.

I'm sure no one system is perfect but will be interesting to see how we get along with them.

John

The IBU does all that, it comes with a memory card with about 15 different tank profiles with all the sounds for the specific tanks, I've also gor loads of different sounds on the there for the KV like different guns ie 76mm, 85mm and the monster 122mm, there is different machine gun options on there, you just edit/copy/paste .ini files and root them on the memory card

Quick screen shot of how easy it is to program the IBU

20141205_202251_zps7oh53yss.jpg

Obviously stick the memory card in a PC, then you simply copy the title of the sound clip you want from the left and paste it into the .ini file on the right, you can change the value of the functions by just increasing/decreasing the amount next to the function, then just save it when you finished and stick it back in the board

So it's possible to have completely different profiles saved to different cards and just swap cards

Been messing around with different MG and cannon sounds, this is a PPSH and a 152mm cannon from a KV2, also been playing around with the recoil action

http://youtu.be/zZUULyhLW6s

Got these great looking external fuel cans from Germany today as well

20141205_202528_zpsiq9bm7mo.jpg

Edited by .AJ.

Noticed last night that the hull wasn't sitting right, one of internal exhaust pipes was being squashed between the upper hull and the upper motor, it's was squashed so bad that the left hand exhaust wasn't working at all :(

Soooooo I set my mind to a solution and knocked this up this morning......

20141206_103530-1_zps1a7c3yqb.jpg

20141206_103544-1_zpsnkznqm3i.jpg

Made a slopped air box, the inlet is well away from the upper motor and the slope adds even more clearance than before, also because the box has 2 inlets/outlets it gives a very even exit of smoke from both exhaust pipes

:)

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 1

Been busy yet again

Finally the box for the speaker has turnt up, I've still got to cut the speaker into the lid, but left my drill at work, but you get the idea lol

20141206_221447_zpsshkdfli0.jpg

My order from Rctank.de has turned up as well

A nice scale MG

20141206_221529_zpsdfc3vcer.jpg

Detailed engine air inlet covers

20141206_221606_zpsrd7h1bvt.jpg

And got these parts left to fit when I next have the turret apart to do a elevation servo conversion

20141206_221734_zpszuuq9xp6.jpg

Edited by .AJ.

Test fitted the new mantle and barrel

imagejpg1_zpsd5b355ff.jpg

The supplied LED for the barrel turns out to be brighter than the HL Xenon flash which is a nice surprise, I've given the LED a light coat of tamiya clear orange for a better effect :)

Edited by .AJ.