• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Markswebpages's Traxxas Summit

Markswebpages

58 minutes ago, Markswebpages said:

So i just need to figure out which wire is which. I believe that the BEC side on the ESC is the one with the red warning tag on, but just want to find out for sure.

It is indeed the one with the red label/tag on. If you have the esc with the writing the right way up and the wires at the back it's the red wire second in from the left and the black wire on the far right.

4236.jpg

Edited by stretch

1 minute ago, stretch said:

It is indeed the one with the red label/tag on. If you have the esc with the writing the right way up and the wires at the back it's the red wire second in from the left and the black wire on the far right.

4236.jpg

Brilliant thanks for confirming that. 

Silly problem, but easy to get it wrong if you're not careful, explains why I had a problem the first time round. 

• 1 month later...

Haven't forgotten about my Summit.

If I'm honest I'd fallen out of love with it a bit, considering it was my most used truck last year that's not good.

Last time out it kept cutting out due to heat, everything was bloody hot. The run time was no where near as good as it had been as standard. I dare say that I could improve it a bit with a change of gearing, but I couldn't get away from the fact the motor was over driven and that can't be helping. This just made me lose interest very quickly.

So having been a bit ripped off and to be honest a bit foolish by believing an eBay seller and not doing my homework I had become completely disheartened.

But today I thought no I really am determined to try and get this right, so an 18v dewalt motor has been purchased off eBay and will hopefully be here by the end of the week.

Going to look into some high capacity LiPo's too, I can then use my current ones either with my Stampede or Yeti.

Update to follow once the motor arrives.

• Like 2

On 11/05/2016 at 17:57, stretch said:
What made you get the 18v over the 14v? Don't forget the EVX2 only does 14.4v.

I don't know why but the 14.4v motors are incredibly difficult or expensive to find and to be honest right now I'm not willing to spend £40+ on another motor. I'd rather put the original one back.

The 18v one was £10 delivered and I thought it was worth a gamble, having hopefully learned that over driving a motor isn't great I'm hoping that under driving might bring back some of the usability.

Edited by Markswebpages

Here is the motor

cc4c70bbf1988d80077edf393aa1146e.jpg

It was a bit grubby as it was used so I flushed it through with some cleaner

3378232f60f755d997ed6adf16ef2379.jpg

I have some new brushes from my previous motor purchase.

82ff61e95ecaafca5e18a2d63d6fe5ed.jpg

Interestingly this one seems to have proper bearings rather the the bronze type.

4539fcd7917f33e76e00e5c3e8cce2a0.jpg

First off this needs to be removed

d4e540c8836ad5b581b1eca19512e251.jpg

Sent from deep space

You know sometimes some thing just work out well.

Old pinion off, flat ground off.

As I was removing the other motor I remembered because of the home brew nature of mine I didn't have the adapter plate like the kershaw kit. So i had to resort to using thick washers to stop the motor hitting the plate round the spur. Then I remembered the mount that came with the motor because it had been removed from a drill.

Guess what it's a perfect thickness for spacing the motor out just a bit.

ee866b60b4b9d7689b5b8742e11b75c5.jpg

479e43d06106a08aaa71a7767b8f3805.jpg

So hopefully it'll be back in and running in a bit. I'll probably have to work on the gearing a bit but I'm sure we'll get there

Edited by Markswebpages

I'll post a short video if I get time, only had a short blast in a small space but seems fine. I won't know for sure until I use it properly but it didn't even get warm and although the gearing probably still requires some thought it seems plenty usable at stock gearing.

I'm flipping over the moon, I've really missed my Summit because I just didn't want to use it because of all the issues.

Roll on next weekend and an opportunity to get out properly. 

Edited by Markswebpages

i enjoyed reading this thread mark and i am sorry you have had some bad luck with it but like all rc, they have their ups and downs but you will get there mate

i enjoyed reading this thread mark and i am sorry you have had some bad luck with it but like all rc, they have their ups and downs but you will get there mate

Thanks for that mate, I'm not very good at posting updates as I forgot to take pictures or don't get to do stuff as often as I'd like.

That's a very short video from the other night.

So the plan now is just to get on and enjoy it, then figure out how I can gear it better.

Sent from deep space

On 17/05/2016 at 18:21, Noj said:
Standard fit froggy, front, rear and a light bar on the top of the Exo cage. 

The one Traxxarse product I like [emoji6]

I'd quite like to get the light bar. Maybe I'll treat myself.

It seems plenty quick enough, but until I get it in a proper open space I won't know.

Just happy to have it back, I missed it while it wasn't working properly.

Edited by Markswebpages

• 1 month later...

I know it's a bit of a crappy video and I've also shared it on my T Maxx thread, but here is the Summit in it element. 

Did exactly what it want it to do which was run for ages. Yet again it was the only one of three buggies to not fail in some way, 

Very happy with the conversion. 

So next on the list is some better LiPo's and a new shell. Oh and the Tekin ESC currently in the for sale section is kinda tempting as it opens up a whole world of options. As always thought it'll just have to be as and when I can find funds. 

Before i went dewalt i researched brushless combos and was going to go with a tekin sensored setup, the reviews i read on it were good and being sensored allow for low speed stuff as well without cogging. As long as it'qs geared sensibly (traxxas weak diffs) it should last well. Will watch the vid when i get on my pc, stupid phone crashed when i tried to watch it.