• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Markswebpages's Traxxas Summit

Markswebpages

Yes I suppose I've done the tricky bit now. I suspect a 14v motor is going to be the best proper solution. 

I'm just going to go back to stock gearing out of curiosity and see if that helps even a little bit. It might slow down the acceleration at least.

I don't really know if I've got something really wrong or I've missed something, but general searches of the interwebs says 12v on 4s with stock esc shouldn't be a big deal. Other than some saying the torque is a bit borderline on destroying the drive train and it possibly might run a bit hotter. 

I still love my Summit it was the only one of three buggies that yet again came home in one piece when the other two suffered from some kind of failure or breakage. 

Maybe when a few start kicking about second hand an Xmaxx will be the next step. Way out of my budget at the moment though. 

10 hours ago, Noj said:

You are considering the overpriced lemon?? Crazy talk :whistling:

Yeah you're probably right. 

I've kinda become a little addicted to Traxxas stuff as it just seems to work really well. The Yeti is OK but waiting for bits and paying duty is a PITA. 

The Summit is without a doubt the most used truck I have and until I decided to get all creative with the DeWalt mod it's been faultless. 

I don't think I'll ever sell it to be honest. 

Don't be disheartened, one of my cars has had about nine different motors! It's all part of the hobby, trying new set-ups to see if it's an improvement. 

I do miss my Summit, it could do a bit of everything, a bit of fast stuff, a bit of slow stuff. Sold it and two others to fund the Baja purchase. 

Keep at it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Don't be disheartened, one of my cars has had about nine different motors! It's all part of the hobby, trying new set-ups to see if it's an improvement. 

I do miss my Summit, it could do a bit of everything, a bit of fast stuff, a bit of slow stuff. Sold it and two others to fund the Baja purchase. 

Keep at it! 

It's just tricky on a limited budget. Small mistakes like this motor can take a while to get the cash to have another attempt. I stretched myself to buy it and I'm glad I did.

If I'm honest I'm not sure where to go from here. Part of me says back to standard, but I can see the potential in the DeWalt conversion as the motor is serviceable for a start. 

I really enjoyed the conversion if I'm honest, a few evenings with a Dremel was a much needed break from the stress of work etc. Just frustrated with having turned it into something much less usable. 

However I've gone back to standard gearing and a quick blast seems to find it feeling much more usable. But a proper run in the woods at my new spot will give a better indication. 

Thanks for the help and support, it's what I love about this forum :)

Like i said as you've already modded the mount the 14v shouls slot straight in, you don't have to get it from kershaw as the only real advantage is that they grind a flat spot on the shaft which i'm sure you'd be able to do yourself. Since i got the dewalt i'd never go back to stock i've got it geared for brisk trailing and runtime.

1 minute ago, stretch said:

Like i said as you've already modded the mount the 14v shouls slot straight in, you don't have to get it from kershaw as the only real advantage is that they grind a flat spot on the shaft which i'm sure you'd be able to do yourself. Since i got the dewalt i'd never go back to stock i've got it geared for brisk trailing and runtime.

So just out of interest what gearing are you using? 

16/54 and my dewalt 14v and I've run it on 5s.

If you have the old no lvc evx-2 it can run 3s on the non bec side and 2s on the bec side. 

Edited by stretch

4 minutes ago, stretch said:

16/54 and my dewalt 14v and I've run it on 5s.

Interesting. 

I saw your for sale thread and thought about buying a spare esc, but from memory I seem to think you run yours with a mamba monster 2. Does the better esc make a big difference? 

Another thought is to try and save enough for a complete change Inc esc to give me some better set up options. 

I have both and lvc and non lvc one for sale. Yes i'm running the monster 2 because I wanted the option of trying 5s (as my lvc evx-2 doesn't allow it) plus allows me room for future upgrade ie brushless but that is something I can't see me doing as i'm more than happy with the dewalt and more power means more stress on the drivetrain and the summit wasn't built for speed. A big plus for the mm2 for me was that you can get a specific holddown to secure it to the chassis and as my summit is my baby I like everything to be just right on it (it's sticky pads and cable ties for my other models though lol). If you go with the 14v dewalt you can play with gearing to suit your driving style/needs.

• 2 weeks later...

So thought seeing as it's been nearly a year since I've had it apart this happened.

267dc3d76eeddb6f89be502307315d4c.jpg

08d8602eea48b6e32ad997d8f6b5fbb8.jpg

Pleased to discover other than some knackered bearings (to be fair I didn't replace them all last time) it looks OK. I have decided to use normal grease as I'm never going to get it really wet and I find marine grease a complete sod to clean off.

So just hoping I have enough new bearings to rebuild.

Part of the reason I did this was I go paranoid about the DeWalt motor destroying the gearbox, but I can't see any evidence of that yet (although it's only had half a dozen runs), so that's all least one thing off my mind.

The Traxxas gearbox is really quite durable, especially as you're only running brushed. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're submerging it? 

No I learned the submerging lesson the hard way. To be fair I rebuilt it last year cleaned and repacked the bearings that I thought where OK as I rebuilt it from top to bottom but thought the gearbox was the easiest bit to open and check at a later date.

All rebuilt now

1919ddc4468df83fbf29e03422b912f4.jpg

1978f75f29b22633eae24e1c39e2b8f7.jpg

b9045987d210ad925a5176d9b9f17ab3.jpg

I've spaced the motor out a bit so I can get the pinion on properly rather than reversed.

I want to install a UBEC but I've already fried one ESC last year because of the way it runs the batteries. I need to try and find out which two power wires to use when I install it,any ideas?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Looking down on the car and if you have the front of the car on the left hand side the battery at the bottom powers all the radio gear on it's own.

The battery on the other side isn't used for powering the radio gear.

You could connect a UBEC to the battery on either side BUT you must also remove the power coming out of the ESC that is currently going into the receiver as the UBEC will now be supplying the receiver power instead.

What he said, as long as the BEC you choose is ok running on 2S. Mine are mostly 3S to 10S input, but you'll probably want one that works on 2S. 

Just disconnect the red cable from the ESC Rx plug and wrap in leccy tape. 

12 minutes ago, losi8igh said:

Looking down on the car and if you have the front of the car on the left hand side the battery at the bottom powers all the radio gear on it's own.

The battery on the other side isn't used for powering the radio gear.

You could connect a UBEC to the battery on either side BUT you must also remove the power coming out of the ESC that is currently going into the receiver as the UBEC will now be supplying the receiver power instead.

Remove the red wire form the esc. 

Thanks for the help. I have tried twice now, once resulting in a fried ESC.

I know the UBEC is fine as hooking it up to a LiPo sees it with a correct and constant voltage output.

However I can 100% confirm if you just hook it up to one lipo and remove the red power wire from the ESC it will create some kind of shorting loop that fries the ESC by melting the negative wire.

I have a reasonable grasp of electronics, but there is something about the way the Traxxas Summit ESC is wired that makes it difficult, I guess the lipo's are in series, but not just that straight forward?

I'll do some Google'ing but unless I'm convinced I can find the solution I'll probably just not bother. It just with the Savox servo and all the lights I think it would help. 

Edited by Markswebpages
Crazy tapatalk

A power-cap on the Rx might help. 

Also worth noting that you can remove the red and black from the ESC Rx plug, the ESC only needs the white signal cable from the Rx. 

Then it should just be a case of soldering the BEC across whichever pair gives you 4S.

On 25/03/2016 at 08:03, Tug said:

A power-cap on the Rx might help. 

Also worth noting that you can remove the red and black from the ESC Rx plug, the ESC only needs the white signal cable from the Rx. 

Then it should just be a case of soldering the BEC across whichever pair gives you 4S.

The problem is when I tried removing both wires it wasn't very happy either. 

I've been Google'ing and I think I might be getting warm. I'll update if I manage to figure it out. 

This helps explain the reason why I've been unsuccessful.

(I did shamelessly please pinch this diagram from the interwebs)

b4b8acf5eacb9cf3ffc18cb82964266a.jpg

So i just need to figure out which wire is which. I believe that the BEC side on the ESC is the one with the red warning tag on, but just want to find out for sure.