• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

nitro fuel

craig105

Hi all new to nitro and would like to ask whats the difference in the make of fuel i run hpi fuel 25% in my savage f4.1 nitro engine ive now used all my hpi fuel and now see these so many makes how do i know witch is best for me?

thanks craig.

Edited by craig105

Hpi also make Optifuel, whichever you choose aim for "race" blend fuel over RTR which can be mega smokey. After run is a sensible purchase, some use it after every sesh whilst others don't.

Personally, if I know I won't be running the engine for a week or more then ill use ARO. I don't really see the point in it if you're likely to run your engine within the next couple of days, it can make starting a challenge.

Once you've finished running, remove the glow plug and air filter. Add a couple of drops of after run down the car and a couple through the glow plu hole then turn your engine over a few times to guarantee a cod coverage. Replace your filter and plug and you're done!

Any will do jus stay away from model technic stuff....its nasty!!!

Model Technics make many different glow fuels and have been for a long time.....no doubt if you were to use the wrong type of fuel for your application then you may experience problems.

Dynaglo is fine for our application.

http://www.modeltechnics.com/glowfuel.htm

I use model technics big bang in 20 and 25% and have never had any problems. Im not that experienced with nitro but i couldn't tell the difference between it and optifuel.

I couldn't get my Bullets .18 engine to run properly on the 16% quikfire tho but the mini st's .12 is fine.

Edited by Honeybadger

HPI don't make Optifuel .... they just licence the RTR blend as HPI Powerfuel. It's made by Opti.

Optifuel RTR has a very high oil content, so is really smokey. Race belnd has a lower oil and is much more pleasant to run with.

Byrons is good...but pricey. The big bottle is a US gallon, which is actually less than 4 litres.

As mentioned above...ModelTechnics make a lot of different fuels. The commonly found blend is the stuff HobbyStores sell for general use...and it's horrid stuff. Very oily. It's not a car specific fuel, and is aimed for use in a range of applications, including planes and helis where prolonged high speed sustained running is the norm. Not good for cars. Big Bang is much better.

I look for a good 25% nitro with around 9% oil content. Just check the content or search with Google to see what fuels are what. They all list their makeup.

As indicated above, assuming the engine was tuned correctly to start with, any change of fuel will require a slight 'retune' to ensure correct running, just as you'd do for a change in weather conditions.

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

it has got a slightly higher oil content which on the site says is better for beginners.

Oil is good in that it prevents metal to metal contact in the engine....but there is no "extra" protection gained from running more than is needed...too much and the engine does not run well and is hard to tune.

It is not possible to say what is the correct oil percentage to use across the board because engines are different and different brand fuels use different oils....

Eg- My worn cheap engine may like X brand of fuel and that has an oil content of 15%....whilst your gallon old expensive engine may run like a rocket on brand Y fuel with 9% oil....if we swap fuels then there is a good chance that both will run poorly even after tuning

Only going off what the site said..

"HPI Power Fuel also features a slightly higher oil content than many other fuels, providing a much needed safety net for those who are perhaps less experiened with tuning nitro engines. This higher oil content will also help to extend the performance of your nitro engine long into the future."

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Prime example of misinformation... http://www.rbinnovations.com/category_s/91.htm

It happens...

No matter how much oil you have in the fuel the engine can be damaged by running it too hot/lean....as I said before too much oil can make running and tuning difficult...

Note I have never used the fuel you use...and never will unless I get some for free...

Edited by Anthoop

Im well aware of supercharging a nitro engine and the fact it doesnt work.....

It says slightly higher oil content. Ive not had an issue tuning mine with this. Its the only fuel ive ever used. The cold weather is causing me tuning issues atm. If your anywhere near bolton or manchester. Ill gladly throw some your way for you to have a play with

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:  but I am miles from you (SW).

Next time you buy some fuel try something different...maybe treat yourself to Byrons....you might be surprised. :)