• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MERV or something else?

Sam.Dzharov

Hi, I want to get my girlfriend into our amazing community. I was thinking of getting her a MERV brushed edition to start with and then upgrade it to brushless. Could you give me other ideas other than the e-revo? I did look at the ftx carnage but it doesn't look too appealing to me :/ Budget wise I, I guess anything up to about

i had a merv a few years ago. by far the worst car ive had. it eats its rear diff constantly and ist that good off road in my experience.

i would look at a firestorm. tough as old boots from the off. had mine for 5 years or so its still going strong 

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-e-firestorm-10t-rtr-2.4ghz/rc-car-products/380330

Edited by howie87

Esso, I'd like a brand new model buddy, sorry.

Howie87, see, that's why I made this thread for now 50% of MERV owners say it's bad and it breaks a lot and the other 50% say it's really good, URC did a review on it on YouTube and in the durability montage he didn't break anything... Is there a way of solving that rear diff problem?

And I'd prefer a 4x4 :)

Edited by Sam.Dzharov

MERV's are great.

It's a bit like a Ford Focus ... ???

Basic design's excellent, and base car generally won't go wrong.

Get an ST, with all turned up to 8 or 9, and it's still great, but you're probably going to test those 'higher limits' .... then ....

You've seen those adverts for rolling road chip reprogramming .... and it goes pear shaped.

The MERV's superb, and Traxxas have it turned up to 8 when you go 3S LiPo.

Then, as it's so capable for its size, you think you'll hammer it in the not-so-short grass, as its running just as well as your 1/10 does on the smoother stuff ...

Then you wonder why it starts cutting out - thermal shut down ....

It's a pocket rocket that can be capable on much harsher stuff than it probably should. This exposes the fact that it is small, and you'll eventually start popping diffs., etc.

I did ... after 3 years' running.

I broke mine as well ... airborne ... into a corner fence ... lapse at high speed. MERV's fault? Don't think so.

Mine's now 3S LiPo through a Castle 3M running a Castle motor - it's way too fast, so I have to show a LOT of respect.

Diff problems can be resolved with alloy bulkheads / cases.

If there's a weak point for me, it's the shocks.

Al.

How about the mini summit?

Same chassis but different wheels and body and on a personal note I reckon they look better too.

I have the rally version of the mini chassis at the minute and it's fantastic fun and lunacy on 2s.

As already said though, plenty of parts/hop ups available for not a lot of money either, when you break something rpm do the best hop ups for arms etc.