• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's oh no not again?!

Oh How Original

Wouldn't ever sell this Baja matey, at least not while I'm still interested in the hobby... Even if I ever completely left, I would possibly just break it into boxes and store it for future :P

But yeah I knew I was having too much fun to not break something lol.

It might very well be ProMX time and sometime in the future buy replacement parts for this stocker bit by bit.

• Like 1

You're a Baja nut through and through..... I honestly don't miss my old one that was running an OBR 29.5 Full Mod and 19/55 gearing..... X2 is superior in every way...... Plus you don't get that 'Oh ****' panic when you roll it hard and expect breakages like you do with a Baja.

• Like 1

I am indeed.. As much as I'd love to just buy a 5ive... I know it would be a bit of a waste at the moment, even the breakages on the Baja aren't really bothering me because I'm getting to use it, I got 3 solid tanks through it and loved every second of it, it more than makes up for the headaches and cost.

I will most likely own a 5ive again one day, or maybe just go for a new X2.

But I don't think it will be this side of the New Year... Unless I have a windfall and get a bit of spare cash.

It never rains but it pours for me... Discovered my V2 Dom is quite badly dented in, so I might have to look at a method of blocking up the ends and do the water trick, last time I tried it with a different pipe the water just kept pushing the end out though.
Also discovered a quite badly bent rear chassis plate... Rob has none in stock until at least the 6th May which is quite a wait and the only other options are ModifiedRC from MMR Largescale (not a chance) or the Uber carbon jobby which I don't think will withstand my bashing :/
Any other options I'm missing chaps?
Bent two stock ones now though so wanting something aftermarket.

• Like 1

She's almost rebuilt :lol:

IMG_5744_zpstrim73d3.jpg

Something else I've bveen meaning to sort, due to the different in size of the header and the pipe itself of the V2 Dom, where they come together via some Samco hose, the header side is hard to get a nice fit because of how much thinner it is, so doing a bit of brain storming, I decided to cut a little bit (maybe an inch long) off the Samco, took me a while to cut it in half but got there eventually and I've Gorilla glued it in, it may not seem like a big thing but the amount of these Samco things I've split because the jubilee clip is too tight and the fit has still been loose, it sprays oil all over the back of the engine and gearbox, so hopefully this will work the way I want it to and I'll have fixed the thing once and for all!

Just thought I'd post it up in case someone else is having the same issue and fancy trying it.

IMG_5745_zpstx4j451r.jpg

Just taken the clutch and housing off... Really impressed with the wear on the clutch, looks very minimal, roughly 22 tanks of fuel through it... Very minimal debris inside the clutch housing and on the pads/holder as well, definitely getting used again which has saved me a few quid.
Does anyone know of anywhere with stock of TR clutch housings though, I'd quite like to get rid of the silly spacer and also tart it up a bit, so it matches my TR clutch system?

IMG_5746_zpsydg3rkiq.jpg

Good stuff man what clutch is that just a standard km one ide guess but doesn't have the red spring. 

Which is the best clutch carrier just a km alloy type or better? 

That's a Zenoah clutch Kev with a 6k spring which is what I prefer, always run a 6k when I can be bothered to swap the standard 8k one out lol, KM clutch carriers work absolutely fine, I obviously have a complete TR clutch system in mine, which ironically doesn't come with any kind of actual clutch lol, but never the less it's served me well and hopefully will continue to do so for a long while yet.

I keep getting tempted by the Elcon or Lauterbacher 4 shoe clutches, in fact I was going to buy one to replace that Zenoah one, but it's still got so much meat left there's little value to doing it yet.

Your granny must bash it hard Steve ;):lol:

Edited by Oh How Original

10 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

That's a Zenoah clutch Kev with a 6k spring which is what I prefer, always run a 6k when I can be bothered to swap the standard 8k one out lol, KM clutch carriers work absolutely fine, I obviously have a complete TR clutch system in mine, which ironically doesn't come with any kind of actual clutch lol, but never the less it's served me well and hopefully will continue to do so for a long while yet.

I keep getting tempted by the Elcon or Lauterbacher 4 shoe clutches, in fact I was going to buy one to replace that Zenoah one, but it's still got so much meat left there's little value to doing it yet.

Your granny must bash it hard Steve ;):lol:

She sure does kidda !  Smashers it up daily!!!! 

I'm running the same clutch and spring I'm running a 15mm eac bell in a 15mm big bearing tr carrier! And iv been killing it and zero wear apart from snapping the vertigo bell ?

Edited by flatout!

Let's get rebuilding then!
Updates to the spec list are as follows, I will update the original post :P

Turtle Racing quickdiff
Turtle Racing servo saver
Hitec HS-5755MG
Team FastEddy front hub ball/cone combo
Team FastEddy front turnbuckles
RCR brakes
Zenoah 30.5cc ProMX
BZM Micro side pipe
RPM spark plug guard
ModifiedRC rear chassis plate
Team PhatDad left engine brace
Team PhatDad right engine brace
Team PhatDad fuel tank brace

IMG_5751_zpshmgmli1x.jpg

IMG_5752_zpsmbcydiwx.jpg

I had one of these ModifiedRC rear chassis plates before and I am just as impressed with it as I was then, £50.99 on Freeprawn, absolute bargain in comparison, the exact same item on MMR Largescale is £81.49!
I love the fact it's so thick, but it's barely any heavier than the stock one, I also like (with the fact it's thicker) that all the bolts are protected much better by being recessed more into the chassis, very nice touch, great machining as well, I love the machine marks on it personally.

IMG_5755_zpsegym88yh.jpg

IMG_5756_zpskngbfto1.jpg

IMG_5757_zpsoyqojmae.jpg

IMG_5760_zpse7acuald.jpg

That's all for now :)

• Like 1

Well I had a few issues with binding when all this new stuff was on, ended up going back to my old brake set up, because it seems the RCRs don't like to work with the Hemistorm MaxHex and as my old hex is almost rounded, I had no choice, no biggie really as my old brakes work great, I just got the RCRs in with another deal, may just put those up for sale instead.
Got everything running a little smoother last night though, after some Corona and brain storming :lol:
Pity the weather is terrible today, was hoping for the first fire up today :(

Well my plans have been thwarted and this is back to how it was, well, the old engine back in anyway, been a bit down in the dumps so we went out today for a blast, finally got a GPS'ed speed of 39.2, having said that, the signal was pretty poor and the speed was still climbing when I'd stopped by my feet, just judging from that and the lack of grip I seemed to have, I'd guestimate around 43-45 if I could hold it flat out for long enough for the GPS to catch up and with a bit of a better surface, that's also on marginally rich carb settings, with a V2 Dom and 18/56 gearing, so not ultra tall gearing or a high revving pipe.

I'm hapy with it anyway, although I did expect very low 40's, hopefully I'll find somewhere with better signal so the GPS can catch up quicker.

Then I decided to send it skywards, after about 15 really nice jumps, I went at it a bit fast, very hard landing on the front end and snapped a front wheel... But I was having so much fun I decided to go Reliant Baja style.

Picture of said snapped wheel and video for comedy effect below ;)

20160503_172044_zpsvwfp7foe.jpg

• Like 1

When I ran my old OBR 29.5 Full Mod on my Baja the TTO I was using actually showed no real advantage to the side pipe I had VS the DOM pipe.

Which shocked me so wouldn't too much about the DOM pipe stealing top end from the engine.

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Well my plans have been thwarted and this is back to how it was, well, the old engine back in anyway, been a bit down in the dumps so we went out today for a blast, finally got a GPS'ed speed of 39.2, having said that, the signal was pretty poor and the speed was still climbing when I'd stopped by my feet, just judging from that and the lack of grip I seemed to have, I'd guestimate around 43-45 if I could hold it flat out for long enough for the GPS to catch up and with a bit of a better surface, that's also on marginally rich carb settings, with a V2 Dom and 18/56 gearing, so not ultra tall gearing or a high revving pipe.

I'm hapy with it anyway, although I did expect very low 40's, hopefully I'll find somewhere with better signal so the GPS can catch up quicker.

Then I decided to send it skywards, after about 15 really nice jumps, I went at it a bit fast, very hard landing on the front end and snapped a front wheel... But I was having so much fun I decided to go Reliant Baja style.

Picture of said snapped wheel and video for comedy effect below ;)

20160503_172044_zpsvwfp7foe.jpg

:lol:.....reminds me of my 3 wheel hyper vid...:good:

Nah I'm not too bothered about the Dom stealing the top end... But I do know there's definitely gains if you compare the VRC Pro side pipe to the V2 Dom... However I'm not spending that kind of money to maybe gain 2mph lol.

I'm really happy with how it runs to be honest, it's set up just nicely for how I like, so I shant be changing it again until if/when I order a chassis, which won't be for a while yet, unless a near new second hand unit becomes available.