• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Doddy's ST1 Budget Brushless conversion

Finding a shell is becoming a bit of a nightmare  :shockingscary:..The width of the chassis with side guards is 20.5 cm and the wheelbase is 35cm now most truggy shells are either too long or too narrow !.. I could just lose the side guards but that is not something i wanted to do as i like the added protection from dirt they give.. So i either need a wide shell or thinner guards any ideas ????????? 

Do you have a new set of bearings for this? you haven't mentioned them if you need some give me a shout, i'll look after you on your cheap build :002:

Do you have a new set of bearings for this? you haven't mentioned them if you need some give me a shout, i'll look after you on your cheap build :002:

Sorry I thought I had, no I don't need any new, between the 2 rollers i stripped all the old bearings cleaned them out and regressed them !!. Now there silky smooth and I have spares as well .. I normally use rc bearings on line if I need bearings as there super cheap if you can beat there prices I may be interested !?

Last time I checked a full set for this rubber sealed was just under

Found a shell in the shed that I got for my old trophy but never used it as it didn't quite fit.. I reckon with some clever trimming it will fit if I swap out the side guards for some hyper ss ones !!

With the budget I have left I might just have to chuck the towel in and get the motor and esc from funns or rcecho can't stop thinking for what I'm paying for a HPI scream combo limited to 4s I could get a quicrun 2000kv combo upto 6s or a nice lepoard 4082 with a quicrun esc !

Will see I'm in no rush !

Little update on the motor and esc just bought a Leopard 4082 2000kv to go in this, bent the rules slightly as it was UK sourced but has been run with just a few packs so almost new !!.. 

ESC well this has had me stumped from the start but after selling of the rear end last night it throw me a bone and now i can get a Quicrun 150a esc  :thumbsup:

Downside is budget has all gone  :shockingscary: and now im not sure this shell i found will sit quite right  :shockingscary:

Borrowed the motor and esc out of my buggy and took this out over the weekend now all i had was a 2000kv motor on a 80a esc running 4s geared at 14/48 speed was OK but nothing special motor ran at a nice temp of 148f right at the end of the packs, esc was well under 100f and lipos didn't even get passed 90f so i little wiggle room left on gearing with the bigger motor and esc thats going in !!. Stock tyres ran the first pack and second pack fine 3rd pack and the rears left the rims   :shockingscary:  but a  quick glue job and there back on !!..  ??

So how does it handle?? Very very well, :yes:  a few little tweaks and i reckon it will be brilliant !!

Budget wise well thats gone out the window  :yes: But only because now i have driven it i think it deserves a few more quid spent on it .. I really fancy some badlands for it a better servo a new shell that fits !!

• Like 1

I have a spare set of badlands like the ones above I may part with. They have had very little use and are in good condition. Had them on my RC8T but that has become a shelf queen now so I don't really need them any more. PM me if you are interested.   :)  

20141103_192748.jpg

Made some more tweaks finally got this shell from the shed to fit right,well almost and its good enough for what i want .. 

Made a plate and used a T max tower and body post just had to chop the tower down to get the mounts from it and mounted them on the plate..

DSC02676_zpscbc2d06a.jpg

DSC02677_zpsa1f4521a.jpg

This has allowed me to mount the  front of the body like so 

DSC02678_zps6e5bdfd7.jpg

The rear is easy enough and can only be mounted really one way so thats a body all mounted now it just needs paint !!

The chassis had a thin piece of alloy sheet added thanks to a harris fence at work which i borrowed the sign from !

DSC02674_zpsd3f84edd.jpg

DSC02675_zps77b5eebd.jpg

Its not for any strength just meant to plug the gaps stop some of the crap getting in the chassis 

Now the eagle eyed would have noticed a have moved the front shocks to behind the arms and added a brass collet to the bumper mount to give a little more clearance for the shell 

And thats it for the minute  :thumbsup:

• Like 1