• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

The front diff works brilliantly - I'll be keeping it. Once I was bashing about and also crawling over the terrain it's meant to be on, I didn't notice the lessening of the steering whatsoever to be honest - I still had to kick out the back-end to turn sharply just as i've always had to.

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 2

The front diff works brilliantly - I'll be keeping it. Once I was bashing about and also crawling over the terrain it's meant to be on, I didn't notice the lessening of the steering whatsoever to be honest - I still had to kick out the back-end to turn sharply just as i've always had to.

Here's a vid of piggy action!

Lol hog heaven!!!!!
  • Like 1

After today's mud antics, the VP Q-Series were looking a bit worse for wear. A bit of IPA later and they're as good as new!

The last pic shows the before and after comparison... they were rather dull to say the least.

aSs1ZWQ.jpg
yztYW3S.jpg
pHXn4Xs.jpg
xmSSIXg.jpg
5s1OzzG.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Stupid question time, after getting it that muddy how do you clean it any tips? Also the other yeti in the vid looks box standard or has it had any extra waterproofing done? Or is the standard good enough im always a bit wary about that much water.

So the RTR Yeti is indeed waterproof. Luke didn't realise this either until I told him, then he went hell-for-leather testing my word  :sweeeet:

And if you have a waterproof truck, all you need to do is hosepipe it down and within 5 mins it's sparkly clean again. After that, I just WD-40 the rustables and let it dry off.  Simples.

So the RTR Yeti is indeed waterproof. Luke didn't realise this either until I told him, then he went hell-for-leather testing my word :sweeeet:

And if you have a waterproof truck, all you need to do is hosepipe it down and within 5 mins it's sparkly clean again. After that, I just WD-40 the rustables and let it dry off. Simples.

Good glad you said that i have wanted to shove it under the tap many a time but always held back.

Oh yes and that is one well tested yeti.

Edited by shaunm
  • Like 1

Whilst cleaning up after yesterday's mud bath, I noticed I'd done this - HORROR   :shockingscary:

iJ9BkfX.jpg
CDgDttC.jpg
URrVk6x.jpg

After seeking some advice, I was told that rubber-infused gel Super Glue was the way forward to fixing it, along with a bike repair patch on the back. So I went to ASDA, got the glue and sealed it up. It worked nicely, and the glue is supposed to be flexible so I'm hopeful the tyre will last.

NA27kPP.jpg
RhEVgF6.jpg
Ua2Sidr.jpg
G4M0gWM.jpg

For the inside I used a Park Tool instant patch.  Before my little boy came along I was pretty into mountain biking (will be again hopefully) and so had some of these knocking around. The results of using them were excellent! It even hugged the ribs on the inside of the Voodoo.

KAJpsPS.jpg
is7dzJX.jpg
Edited by Zombi

Ooh exciting!  CI Deuce's Wild Tall foams for my XL Swampers, plus 3 VP screw kits and some Green Slime for if I ever need to rebuild my shocks.

VazTCz9.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Water repellent grease for the O-rings in you shocks.

Yes plenty of spring options around, I use the Axial 14x90 Yellow on mine in the rear.  And in general, I've bought them from LiquidRC, such a great store as shipping anywhere in the world is only $1 If i can't find them on there then then I've gone with RCMart.

Modelsport and Wheelspin also have some in.

Lifted from RCC. Note that the rear list doesn't include the green and yellow options.

Front shocks use 14x54mm Springs:
AX30226 Spring 14x54mm 2.64 lbs-in - Super Soft (Red)
AX30227 Spring 14x54mm 3.4 lbs-in - Soft (White)
AX30228 Spring 14x54mm 3.85 lbs-in - Medium (Green)
AX30229 Spring 14x54mm 4.33 lbs-in - Firm (Yellow) **Stock on AX90026 Yeti Front**
AX30230 Spring 14x54mm 4.95 lbs-in - Super Firm (Blue)

Rear shocks use 14x90mm Springs:
AX31153 Spring 14x90mm 0.90lbs-in - Black
AX31154 Spring 14x90mm 1.01lbs-in - Purple
AX31155 Spring 14x90mm 1.14lbs-in - Orange **Stock on AX90026 Yeti Rear**
AX30213 Spring 14x90mm 1.32lbs-in - Red
AX30214 Spring 14x90mm 1.71lbs-in - White

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

I got the DWs into the XL Swamper tyres earlier; they're monstrous! Have a look at the comparison pics below, they're pretty badass to be honest.

I want to get a second set of VP Methods but need the 1.250 cans which I bought from Carter Fab in the US. unfortunately he's out of stock and hasn't had in any in ages, but once again my local hero steps in to work his magic! After providing him with all the necessary measurements, Mr. Banners is going to see what he can do about making some up for me :thumbsup: 

If he's successful, all that remains is to find some Method wheels that are actually in stock somewhere.  

But the question for now is do I take the Voodoos off and mount up the XL Swampers for Sunday's meet at Black Rocks... 

j1571oJ.jpg
v3MO1OZ.jpg
atUTzas.jpg
tWku1RX.jpg
nVIQ2uh.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Also in the post today came a replacement plastic bellcrank. I've locked it up using a nylon spacer I got from eBay rather than pre-loading the spring with a 10x15 bearing in the hope that there'll be less stress in the unit and it'll last me a long time. We'll see...

After sanding 1mm off the length of the spacer it fit perfectly.

E4y4KlB.jpg
FCe6nQd.jpg
74fGYJI.jpg

Edited by Zombi

I got the DWs into the XL Swamper tyres earlier; they're monstrous! Have a look at the comparison pics below, they're pretty badass to be honest.

I want to get a second set of VP Methods but need the 1.250 cans which I bought from Carter Fab in the US. unfortunately he's out of stock and hasn't had in any in ages, but once again my local hero steps in to work his magic! After providing him with all the necessary measurements, Mr. Banners is going to see what he can do about making some up for me :thumbsup:

If he's successful, all that remains is to find some Method wheels that are actually in stock somewhere.

But the question for now is do I take the Voodoos of and mount up the XL Swampers for Sunday's meet at Black Rocks...

P1030492_zpssu9hrjhq.jpg

P1030495_zpsyjdiqmwh.jpg

P1030496_zpslg9ga7iv.jpg

P1030497_zpsk8abnx3o.jpg

P1030500_zps0nmyrbhb.jpg

Mmm me likey!!!

just to point out Nylon unless treated will absorb moisture and change it's dimensional accuracy. It'll will only be a smidge and on this may be fine. Brass or a Bronze bushing is a better option imo for future reference.

Does it make a difference that these are "nylon plastic"?  They don't seem particularly water-absorbent.

It was hard enough finding plastic spacers that fit let along brass or ally ones, I don't have that luxury  :yucky:

pmsl, it's not a noticeable amount ;)  I've read about 1% change in dimensions. Just me being nerdy  :back2topic:

• Like 1

my srvo saver seems very soft. If you turn the tx full lock while static the wheels only move a fraction. It is only when you move forward the wheels start to turn

pmsl, it's not a noticeable amount ;)  I've read about 1% change in dimensions. Just me being nerdy  :back2topic:

Get back to your workshop and make me some goddam 1.250s, nerd!!  :sly:

my srvo saver seems very soft. If you turn the tx full lock while static the wheels only move a fraction. It is only when you move forward the wheels start to turn

Why do you think I lock it out, it's crap. It also causes your Yeti to twitch about at high speed which often ends in tears (and a dented wallet).