• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo storage

jp79er

I have a ripmax sigma eq balance charger....connected my lipo and run the storage programme set at 1.oamp......nearly two hours and still not complete.....is it normal to take forever to put into storage?

Posted by me ????

I took it out and discharged in the car u til it hit the LVC....then ran the storage setting and let it run...

Current.y says 120mins, dropped to 0.1A, and 00937...

Posted by me ????

Edited by jp79er

Just until the weekend most likley..begining to think its probably best to charge it up run for 5 mins and then put it away, and running the storage for more longer term moments.

How do I know when to stop at 3.8?

Posted by me ????

Edited by jp79er

Just until the weekend most likley..begining to think its probably best to charge it up run for 5 mins and then put it away, and running the storage for more longer term moments.

How do I know when to stop at 3.8?

Posted by me ????

Just check the display bud, you can toggle between displays while it is charging. I have the same charger and storage/discharge does take a while as you mentioned but I suppose its worth it to look after that batteries properly. Will be using the normal balance charge to bring them up to 3.8v on each cell now though. Such a simple thing to do but never thought of doing that before lol.

Just check the display bud, you can toggle between displays while it is charging. I have the same charger and storage/discharge does take a while as you mentioned but I suppose its worth it to look after that batteries properly. Will be using the normal balance charge to bring them up to 3.8v on each cell now though. Such a simple thing to do but never thought of doing that before lol.

Oh yeah...just checked...its showing all three cells at 3.80v....that's handy to know

Posted by me ????

When normal charging the display will hit 3.8 v but if you unplug then after a rest period check your lipo it will be slightly less !!.. That's why storage takes a while as it settles the pack to a more equal amount with no drop off .. These small chargers are ok on small packs but start using big packs like 5000 mah and they just don't have the power hence why the take forever !

Something like this ?

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9_268&products_id=5520

Will it balance any quicker though or just charge quicker?

Balancing takes the roughly the same on all chargers, but a large charger can charge far quicker.

I own three Hyperion chargers, top kit. Just don't bother with the small 50 watt item, go large! ;)