• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Exhaust stopper

Ninjashunt

Which technique do people prefer?

1. Plugging exhaust?

2. Starving fuel?

Some say that with the engine revving at severaly thousand RPM, to plug it could deform the conrod if too sudden.

Some say that 'starving' the engine temporarily leaves it revving with inadequate lubrication.

Al.

Which technique do people prefer?

1. Plugging exhaust?

2. Starving fuel?

Some say that with the engine revving at severaly thousand RPM, to plug it could deform the conrod if too sudden.

Some say that 'starving' the engine temporarily leaves it revving with inadequate lubrication.

Al.

I raised this, as I know some people have strong views on both methods.

It's nice hearing the opinions of 'those in the know', and also if there are any alternatives.

I tried a Killer Bee ignition cut out for nitro, which I think simply pinches the fuel line, like the

Tbh, I can't see either really doing any damage.

Plugging, you won't get perfect seal in an instant so you'll slow the engine before it comes to a stop and there will be some compression of the air in the exhaust before the con-rod deforms.

Starving of fuel, it only runs until there's not enough fuel to go bang so in theory stops as the fuel/oil mix runs out. The pinch should be enough to slow it down without it completing another 100 or so cycles with some residual lubrication remaining.

Just my uneducated thoughts. When I used to run proper 2 strokes, it was always starve it of air for shutdown thus maintaining lubrication but a less harsh stopping rate.

I always plug the pipe...but I do also run my engines/tanks/lines totally out of fuel when finished for the day.... :)

Neither method is ideal when looking at it theoretically...but (as above) probably neither will make much difference...

Would plugging the exhaust be better for a quick fuel up and start again so that you don't need to prime the carb, as when you pinch the line all the fuel is sucked from the carb and a re prime would be needed upon restart.

Yes. If you plug the pipe to stop the engine then refuel it should start easily.......but you can always refuel with the engine running... 

the proper way to stop it would be by the flywheel. U can get the right tool to do this or like me could use your finger.

How many fingers do you have left?? :lol: