• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommend a brushless combo for my 2wd stampede.

Alvarez

Ok, so ive been out of the hobby for a good few years due to becoming a father to a lovely baby girl, with alot of my time being spent at home I took to watching Monster Jam on the extreme sports channel a lot.

Sooo the wife noticed and decided to get me a Traxxas Monster Jam Son uva digger truck,

Now this is my first ever Traxxas and so far I really like it, I watched a good review on Youtube by URC which recommended that I fit alloy shock caps (which I have done) and also I fitted a wheelie bar to stop it flipping onto its roof.

Along with this I have fitted a Specktrum 2.4ghz reciever, ripped all the Traxxas electrics out of it and fitted a Carson 10t brushless sport combo which was sitting in my spares box with no car to call its home, I am also running it on 2s HPI hardcase lipos.

So the advice im after is what is a good brushless combo to go with on this?

Im asking as the current Carson set is just not doing it for me, the motor is getting way too hot with stock gearing and the esc is ambient temps, leads me to believe the motor just cannot cut it under the stress.

Im looking at spending no more that

Thanks for the informative and swift response, Ill certainly take a look at those EZ run setups, sound slike it might just be the ticket especially being waterproof! means I can run it through the mud.

Untill I make my final desicion and fit it into the truck what gearing should I put the current setup on? I have a good dozen or so 48p pinions I can drop into it for the time being.

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and see what's in there. Should give you a starting point.

Waterproof is definitely fun :) Just make sure you have a waterproof radio box and a waterproof servo too before you get it too soggy! If not...you can waterproof a servo with plastidip ( lots of you-tube vids to show you how) and a traxxas waterproof radio box should bolt right on if yours isn't. Otherwise...pop the receiver in a balloon....bit of silicon in the neck of the balloon and cable tie it up. Keeps the damp out.

If you don't feel happy waterproofing your servo...you could always 'splash out' on a waterproof one. :)

Stampede is a great fun little truck. Really cheap to fix when you break it, and just plain good fun.

Ah no worries about the servo, the stock electrics were fully waterproof and it comes fitted with the waterproof reciever box too.

Of course iv removed the Traxxas motor and esc (prob sell those on ebay to fund the Ezrun) but kept the waterproof servo fitted, as the truck dosnt spend all that long on the front wheels its probably a waste of money putting another one in there for the time being, atleast until it dies. Still it seems to have enough strength behind it and can put very tight turns when needed, so im happy with it.

And yep so far im very happy with the truck, its alot of fun to drive and also feels very planted to the floor with its handling, wheelies are super easy to control and prolong.

Cant wait to give it a proper bashing on the dirt, but before that I want everything to be in good shape so my time isnt ended short :P

I rate the traxxas 2075 servo pretty high I've had tons of them being a traxxas fan and never had a problem always good power too. I would just want metal gears if they updated them.

10kg torque and waterproof I don't think many companies supply a servo as good as that especially for 1/10

The 4000kv motor will be good but mayb look at changing the gears to 32dp too I ran my slash 2wd on 4000kv with a 52t spur gear from slash 4x4.

It might speed it up aswel as strengthen it. If it's got the 2075 servo then it's probably got all metal tranny too.

Thanks for the advice, i'll be purchasing some RPM front casters and bearing carriers for now as research shows this is a weak point on the truck.

The rest ill keep stock until those parts break.

I switched the stock 14t pinion over to a 17t, this feels very punchy and probably about as fast as I want to take it.

Im still running the carson 10t brushless I mentioned before but iv adjusted the throttle band and eliminated drag break (seemed to be causing it to get too hot) for now.

Before I even ran the truck I took out the 2.4ghz traxxas radio gear, XL5 waterproof esc and titan 15 brushed motor, these items are now on ebay and if they all sell these will completely cover the cost of the Ezrun combo!

Ill certainly take a look at changing the drive train for something a little more aggressive once I have fitted the Ezrun combo, the main tranny is fully ballraced out of the box anyway so itll just be a case of changing teh spur & pinion I imagine.

Cheers :]