• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

why does this happen?

jp79er

My car uses a WP-S10E-RTR ESC and 3065kv Brushless and runs really well....

But when going over rough terrain or grass...it trucks along fine....but it does get a second wind as it kind of runs quickly then stops/stall for split second to think about it then really goes for it...tend not to see this reaction so much on tarmac or hard surface (but will occasionally do this) as it just goes flat out?? but definite/obvious change in pace.

Is it normal to run it slower until it feels settled then goes into higher gear (so to speak) when resistance drops to a level (i.e. draw on the motor)? I have looked at the manual for the ESC and it makes no mention to throttling back before going flat out.

Whats your thoughts...normal or not? I note its done this since I got it straight out the box...

Does it do it all the way through the pack from full or just after you have run it for a while? Could be hitting the lvc what's it set to ? Maybe a poor spec lipo and voltage is sagging under load then hitting the lvc.

Running off 7.4v 3000mha NIMH batteries..all three packs do the same and i see it from full charged to flat...

LVC is at the `factory setting' 3.0v, is that what it is my batt packs are dipping down below this and cutting it out???

would some 5000mha 3c lipos help?

Also would setting my LVC limit lower for the time being help? then I can bring it up to 3.0v when I get some LIPO's

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by jp79er

Do you mean 7.2v nimh as 2s lipo is 7.4v ??

You need to turn off lvc if your using nimh packs that will be the problem. You won't be getting the best out of the setup using nimh go for some lipos for sure.

Edited by big turbo
  • Like 1

Sorry 7.2v 3000mha NiMH's......

I will tinker with the setting on the ESC tonight and remove the LVC protection and give it a run and see what happens....

I held off buying LiPO batteries although I brought a balance charger/discharge for all battery types so I have options in the future.

As I knew nothing about RC cars and I am terrible as I always tinkering with stuff so needed to keep it simples to start....so I could bash it about take it apart a few times while I worked out what I wanted to do with the car first then I would buy the bits I needed as I typically would go buy lots of incompatible parts and end up wasting a load of money.

But now I have a better understanding of how they work and stuff I will be upgrading....I can have some fun and see how much I can push it but as my three kids enjoy driving it and they are a bit crazy...and need lots of supervision so wanted to keep it tame for them also....

When the kids get their own as I am planning on getting them 1/18th cars each, thinking the Helion Animus 18TR to race in the park...then I can have my Truggy all to myself and go to town on it and come out all guns blazing with it....LOL 

Edited by jp79er

Ok changed the LVC to 0 and get longer run time before the slow/fast thing happens....so assume the batteries are not up to scratch for the car....but it is alot better I must admit...also reset the throttle/neutral/reverse as well.

Posted by me ????

It's just going to be the fact that the nimh batts can not discharge quicker enough for the motor demands I'm guessing the nimh are getting pretty hot to ?

Lipo is def the best way to go not sure that esc will cope with 3s. You could go for 2s and it will still make a big difarance in performance and run times.

The tech manual for the esc says it's fine for 3s, but the 5v fan needs to be either changed for a 12v or feed from the receiver to stop it getting killed.

The nimh do get hot but only at the end of their session, but no different than the end of a charge though....

Posted by me ????

Edited by jp79er

I am a muppet, just found that the single beep I was getting signifies no.5 on the setting so was a at LVC 3.2v.....now set to a single quick beep which definitely is 03 on the LVC....suppose that one issue of not having the programme card for it plus can't a just punch and braking on th basic setting either....Obviously the performance increase was due to my imagination....lol

Posted by me ????

Edited by jp79er

As said, you want the LVC completely off for nimh packs. Then when the car starts to significantly slow it's time to switch it off and change cells.

Lipo in the future will give far more consistent performance.

Just remember to switch the LVC back on for lipos!

Now its set to LVC 0, it goes very well indeed, but the batteries end up getting a lot hotter I assume that they are getting pushed to/over the limit on discharge rates, but the ESC and motor are nice and cool so I am not really pushing its limits for them components...

Edited by jp79er

was looking at the lipo's but the burst current of my ESC is const. 45a/ Burst 220a but as my motor is unbranded I I just know its a 3065kv b/less.....I am unsure of which batteries to get the most out of it

I would assume that at 5000mah 2s 20c (30c burst) Turnigy would be a good choice to start with????

I will be taking the existing ESC/motor out and replacing with a 60a/4000kv 4pole b/less combo at some point.....but all in good time...and then I can get some big batteries to compliment it

Edited by jp79er

You're cracking this leccy Lark faster than some! Lipo when you're ready, you'll be surprised at the difference!

Only by talking to you chaps/chapesses, and reading stuff that makes it simple to understand...I have had worse hobbies for complexity....LOL..i used to keep Tropical Marine Reef systems now that is a mine field of information.

Edited by jp79er