• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where To Buy

TheRcBoy50

Welcome to the forum :)

The CC-01's are available ready to run from Tamiya and are called XB models - Expert built.

They arrive built,painted and with all the electrics fitted so you just need to charge the batterys and you're off!

Alternatively you could just buy the kit and additional controller etc ontop and we would be able to help assist with the best combination on here :good:

The radio and battery can be added after you've built the CC-01 so you don't need to get it right away. You can take your time to decide just what radio would suit you and your budget. The big decision on the radio is if you want the wheel type or the stick type. One isn't better than the other it's just down what you would find more comfortable to use. Basically you'll want a two channel 2.4Ghz radio, although getting one with 3 or 4 channels is nice as it will let you add a few extra things such as being to turn lights on and off etc. Best idea is to find one you like the look of and ask on here if it would be suitable. Basic 2ch radios start at about 20 quid for a 2.4Ghz wheel type. Stick types a little bit more.

Two things you will want to get before starting your build is first a full bearing kit to replace the bushes that come with the kit. Cheap but make a big difference to how it will run. Then a GPM steering kit available from eBay or Fusion Hobbies. Stock steering leaves something to be desired.

Now the hard part..........deciding which CC-01 you'd like to build. Tamiya instructions are ideal for the beginner as they're so well done and there's plenty of people here that can give you help and advice.

John

Edited by johninderby

Hello, Thanks for all the information, I like the look of this controller.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-cr2s-v2-2-channel-2.4ghzradio-control-system/rc-car-products/376271

And I want to buy the Landfreeder Model, what other things would I need to Buy, also does the body come, Pre cut, how do I go about painting it inside or outside, when do I out stickers on for lights etc before or after painting inside or outside, also does it come with masking for windows Thanks. :)

Thats not a bad radio but you can get a 3 channel for less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLYSKY-Flysky-3ch-FS-GT2B-Transmitter-TX-GT-2B-RC-Car-Receiver-Battery-RC49-/231262848982?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35d85707d6

FlySky and Absima are the same inside and fully compatible. Nobody buys the Absima receivers because the identical receivers are available under the FlySky brand for a fraction of the price. Generally I find the Absima radios are nicer on the outside even if they're the same inside although some think that Absima's quality control is better.

The Landfreeder body isn't pre-cut but it's not a difficult job. Lexan trimming scissors make that job a lot easier though. Paint masks for the windows are supplied. You'll need proper polycarbonate spray paint such as Tamiya's PS paints. The body has a protective film on the outside that you peel off after painting before applying stickers. BTW the spray painting is really easy as you're painting the inside and so if your painting is a bit dodgy or uneven you'll never see that afterwards as your only looking at the outside of the body.

Get the bearings and steering kit right away and I'd suggest the Lexan scissors as well.

Goldstarstockists have very good prices and you can order various versions of the kit. With or without the speed control, or add a radio etc. and they can supply the bearings as well. They're a good place to start when you start shopping around and comparing prices.

Here's what can be done with a LandFreeder.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/185253-tamiya-ford-ranger-cc-01-aka-landfreeder-build/

John

Hi, thanks for help so let me get this straight.

Firstly these are the options I went for, now what else would I need to buy, I know I need to get the controller I will get that off ebay.

Screenshot_2014-08-25-12-55-34_zpsyddsrn

Also just so I'm correct, I spray the body underneath, peel the layer off on the other side and then out stickers on outside of the body, also how would I go about having the 2 tone like the link you gave me Thanks.

Thanks so much for all the help you are giving me, much appricated.

I wouldn't get that speed controller. This one is better suited to a CC-01. You might find it cheaper on eBay.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-esc/rc-car-products/382831

Batteries and chargers are another thing. The ones you have selected would be enough to start with but you'll be wanting a better and faster charger very soon and probably a battery with more capacity. HobbyKing has great prices on batteries and chargers. Just make sure you order from their UK warehouse.

So what I'm recommending is just get the kit with bearings from Goldstarstockists and get the speed controller separately. Then look around on HobbyKing for the charger and batteries. I'd recommend a 5000mah battery and an automatic peak charger. There's so many chargers on there it can a bit confusing I'll admit.

BTW you might find a good used charger and or batteries in the sales section on this forum. Worth a look.

If you want to do something like my LandFreeder you'll need some good masking tape (modelling masking tape not the DIY stuff) and a bit of patience to do the masking. You can use pin stripping tape to cover the join in the paint on the sides. The bed of the pickup is usually masked off and painted black. Yes it's wash the body in warm soapy water and use one of those foam backed dish washing scouring pads to lightly scuff up the inside of the body (not the windows!) before painting. When you paint spray 3 or 4 light coats for each colour. You can use a hair drier on the paint for about a minute or so after each coat so you can spray the next coat right away. When the paints turned matt it's ready for the next coat. You can always lightly touch the inside of the window mask to check.

John

Edited by johninderby

That looks fine to me.

Wouldn't worry too much about the battery and charger as those will be OK and nothing to stop you upgrading later on. As you say you've got to start somewhere and if you try to get everything perfect right away you'll never actually get started. That's the best thing about building your own. You'll know exactly how it all works and will be able to make any changes you want to later on.

BTW RCbearings is great for the bearings and there is also someone on this forum that sells bearing sets.

John

You might want to get the paint from Modelsport as well as if you order on eBay the shipping can be expensive as spray paint is supposed to be sent by courier.

Not quite sure what you're asking in your last sentence. Do you mean parts of the kit assembled?

Also for the paint you'll need the main colour of course but also black for the bed. Also you'll want a backing colour to finish off with. White for lighter colours or silver for metallic colours. If you don't use a backing colour the paint tends look slightly transparent and for metallic colours gives the "sparkle".

John

Edited by johninderby

That charger will do all the battery's and is a very good charger so if you went to lipos later on down the line you would have to pay the same. I started out with NiMH then a few months later went to lipo and my original charger just sat there.

The car comes as a kit.

Another alternative for a charger is this one - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger-with-fan/rc-car-products/379060

Not much cheaper but every penny counts eh.

Brilliant charger and gets glowing reviews from just about everybody...including myself.

I know when you're trying get everything you'll need it can be a bit overwhelming with so many different things to buy. Yes get the car and bits you need to actually build it but if you can take the time to shop around you can get some great deals on batteries and chargers etc.

Came across an Ansmann xMove deluxe charger normally