• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

mta4 s28 upgrade for bullet proof rig?!

fuddy-mucker

Hi all,

My mta4 s28 has been sat on the top of my wardrobe now for the past 2-3 months having spent over 200 quid upgrading and repairing its yet again... bust.

The dual tank setup doesnt work, tried alsorts and only thing i can think is there is not enough pressure from the exhaust to regulate fuel flow.

The front left wheel melted ( around the securing wheel nut) due to doing donuts.

Still need a servo saver for steering servo

Im sick of this thing breaking every time i take it out. Usually lasts an hour before something breaks ( lucky i take my box etc full of bits and tools).

So... how do i make this truck bullet proof or as near as? Reliable and strong?

S50 upgrade ? I.e gearbox, cvds , engine , wheels and all bolts to go with ?

Over time upgrade to rpm arms and knuckles?

Rob

Sounds like you bash pretty hard so expect it to break every time :) I'd be quite happy if mine lasted an hour when I'm ragging it. Donuts with wheels and tyres that big is going to strip the hexes all day long. On mine I used to use putty cement to bond the hex to the wheel. Then I used two locking nuts on each wheel. I didn't have any problems after that.

Edited by MrPug

You could get alloy hexes, but if your driving style stays the same, that will as you say melt the wheels eventually with the doughnuts lol.. If you upgrade one part, something else weaker down the chain will break, its just a viscious circle and a money pit!

For me, part of the fun of the hobby is fixing it again once I've been out and trashed it lol.

My mrs does her nut coz I'll spend hours in the garage with 'em!

Certainly a money pit. Aside from the doing doughnuts it has broken numerous times. One of which ive just remembered is the bearing retainer for the clutch bell. It disintergrated while i had it running in the back garden.

In your oppinion guys..

The truck was bought brand new in june 2014 so still pretty new.

The engine has been meticulously run in and had just 1 and half gallons of byron gen 2 race fuel (25%) through it.

Would i be better off upgrading to s50 equipment i.e

Engine

Gearbox

Diffs?

Hex's

Wheels

Cvds?

Part of the fun is fixing but i spend more time and money repairing than running... or... should i have gone down the electric route?

Thanks

Rob

Certainly a money pit. Aside from the doing doughnuts it has broken numerous times. One of which ive just remembered is the bearing retainer for the clutch bell. It disintergrated while i had it running in the back garden.

In your oppinion guys..

The truck was bought brand new in june 2014 so still pretty new.

The engine has been meticulously run in and had just 1 and half gallons of byron gen 2 race fuel (25%) through it.

Would i be better off upgrading to s50 equipment i.e

Engine

Gearbox

Diffs?

Hex's

Wheels

Cvds?

Part of the fun is fixing but i spend more time and money repairing than running... or... should i have gone down the electric route?

Thanks

Rob

Out of the things you've mentioned it doesn't sound like much has broken... What exactly is failing on the truck? Jumping this truck will break stuff unless you are landing it perfectly each time. To get mine jumpable I changed the shock springs and oil, put rpm arms all round and added a second roll bar in case it landed on its roof.

Edited by MrPug

As far as your list is concerned if you are sticking with the standard .28 engine all other parts should be fine. If you are putting in a bigger engine, you may need the s50 gearbox, but the diffs are okay on the s28. Cvds and hexes are fine. Just glue the hexes into the wheels.

Edited by MrPug

Oh sorry lol

So far hes whats been changed,

Copper firm springs all round

Steering servo ( hd150mg but broke on first run)

Dual tank upgrade ( doesnt work tho due lack of back pressure from exhaust

Things that have gone wrong from memory are...

The pullstart and backplate threads had been over stretched by whoever built the truck ( had to use helicoils screws)

One of the front suspension knuckles had broken

Broken a wheel

Dual tank to stop it leaning out halfway through the standalone tank doesnt work for reasons above leaving the truck with the original one tank which after 5 mins runs lean through the tank.

To resolve the back pressure issue would fitting the bigger s50 engine sort this? I.e bigger engine, more pressure, able to run two tanks ?

Upgrade to stronger s50 wheels as plastic seems crap and brake to easily. Needing the hexs n cvds to do so?

S50 box to cope with the torque of the s50 engine i.e metal gears.

If the above mames se se and would work, fitting the gpm plastic ( blue) arms and knuckles should sort out alot of the issues right?

Rob

If your servo broke first run I would guess it was over extending and this stripping the gears. The standard s28 wheels and tyres should work fine. To be honest if you want the s50 gearbox and engine I would just buy the whole s50 truck.