• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starter 1/8 buggy

Bladerider666

Hi people, I am after some advice....I've not had an RC Car for near on 20 yrs an now I really want to get back into it. My Local track is Nene Valley Raceway which I do know they race 1/8 nitro buggies on. So I am after my first buggy. Now it looks like my wife is going to get me it for my chrimbo ( if not jan sales lol) budget I'm looking at

Nene valley if I remember is a dirt track so I'd recommend this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-inferno-mp9-readyset/rc-car-categories/24/9900/990015&ChassisID=1114

But as mark as said get down the track and see what most are using you might be surprised to find 1/8 electric is catching on with the racers now more than ever before

Seriously, buy nothing until you go along and speak to the folks there.

I have made that mistake before and it ends up costly

• Like 2

It's sound advice to pop down the track and have a scout around. 20 years is a LONG time in RC, and things will be different. It will give you a chance to see what people are running and what suits the track.

Tou will also be able to catch up on the current radio technology, and find out exactly what you need to be compliant with current rules.

You don;t want to buy a car that just looks nice....as it seems a requirement these days to run ugly cab forward shells.

Buying used will also give you a lot more car for your money. As long as it's still current with good spares backup

• Like 1

Hi,

Around a year ago i got back into the hobby properly, i mainly doing bashing with friends and other hobbyists. I brought the HPI Trophy 3.5, i think its a brilliant piece of kit for what i use it for anyway. I would recommend the Trophy 3.5 as i imagine that is would be a good racer from my experience with it.

- Jamie

Hi guys, well after nipping down to Nene valley raceway and seeing what most of the guys were running I've settled on a kyosho inferno. Plenty parts supply an its been about a while. So me an the Mrs have decided on the MP9 TKI3 RTR KIT. To get me started. What you guys think of that buggy?

• Like 1

I run the MP9 TKI3 kit and think its a fantastic bit of kit.  Feels a bit heavier and wider than some buggies out there, more like a D8 12, but it really is planted.

My lap times started dropping when I switched from the Losi to this.

It strangely feels slower though, but handles so much easier.

Also, if you break any parts, which seem to be a struggle to do (I have only broken 1 front arm so far) then you can always upgrade to the hop up parts

• Like 1