• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya tb evo 6

hipwell

What are people's thoughts on the new tb evo 6 from tamiya?

How do shaft drives stack up against belt drives like the mi5?

Would I be a fool to buy an evo 6 for 300 quid when I could get an mi5 for 200 quid at ms?

I race on a small indoor carpet track

I run 13.5 boosted so was worrying a little about torque steer, but we do only run a small track so the instant shaft power may be a good thing

What are high end tamiyas like to live with? In terms of strength,parts availability etc

My mi4cxl is still on the original drive shafts and I've never seen a cx style schumacher shaft break at my club but see at least one X-ray shaft a week snap which puts me off X-ray , plus I don't like the orange alloy lol.

Cant comment on what its like to live with, a few people i know run Tamis and have zero issues and zero breakages to my memory and this was on unforgiving tracks, Sam Shirley will be one to ask, he ran TRF 417's for a while. 

To be honest the torque steer is either going to be really minuscule at your track or as soon as your on the straight its going to veer into the wall, its hard to say. 

but i think from a overall perspective i dont think you could go far wrong with it, it is a tamiya after all and will make a nice change at your club. 

Sounds good. I'm gonna see what UK shops stock parts for it before I jump into anything, I've been searching for a chassis for months now but the evo 6 is the first thing that's come about that I really took a liking to. I just love Schumacher for their amazing parts support.

I always thought the torque steer came from the motion of the motor (rather than the shaft itself).

If that's true, it shouldn't be a problem with this car as the motor is mounted the same way it would be on a belt driven car.

It's a really nice looking kit and it's always good to see something a bit different.

The only things I don't like about it are how far the motor sticks out and the fact that the diffs are covered.

Qatmix has one i think. There will be a build blog etc on thercracer.com soon i should think

Yep I do have one.. initial impressions =  :sweeeet:  As to top end Tamiya's they are fantastic. I have ran them for years, very strong and quick. The 418 as strong as the Xrays (well technically stronger as I dont have to buy new DCJ's every few months as the Xray ones kinda break), I have not broken one thing in 6 months of racing (Tight indoor circuit with boards).  The car is also quick, I have had a looooong winning spree at the club (Although I was second last night). 

I have been speaking to one of my friends who has ran his Evo6 and he is very happy with it, I hope to give mine a run next week.

One thing I would say is that you might have to get it from abroad, as the UK stock is limited so if you dont get one soon you might be stuck, the Evo6 is a very in demand car.

Edited by qatmix

As mentioned before, very little breaks, I just have a couple of C hubs / Uprights in my pit bag, There are lots of places, in the UK Tony's Tamiya parts or Fusion hobbies, otherwise RC mart, or Banzai hobbies

• 2 weeks later...

What is the big IF?

I've still not decided what to do, this money Is just burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm happy with my mi4cxl for club racing really, until I get a much better driver I don't think there's much point me spending hundreds on a new car.