• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is my brushless running hot?

papasmurf

I've got two Xerun 150 Amp ESCs that are set to 3.0 volts per cell to achieve a perfect 3.4 volt cut-off. I also have a HW 150 Amp Pro ESC that is set to 3.2 volts to achieve a perfect 3.4 volt cut-off.

Use an alarm to find where your ESC is best set to.

Just been out running up & down the road with 3-4 sec throttle burst then heavy breaking, after 10-15 mins the motor was reading 62c ( 143f )

Is this ok?

Punch & timing turned right down

Rob

If it's around that temp after a full pack, then I'd say you've got that quite well dialled.

Just run a full pack + half ish with the body on and my kids driving in this heat & it was reading 200f on the rear of the motor & 160f on the side nr the front (I will put the vid up soon)

I think maybe it is a little hot still.

My Esc & lipo are between 90-100f

Rob

I'm going to order a 15T pinion and like you say put a few holes in the shell. I'm still thinking it's going to end up slow trying to get my tems down :(

What's the best places to put holes as its a forward cab body? post-5570-1405702975921_thumb.jpg

Rob

Edited by papasmurf

Watching the video, the kids are seldom off the throttle, then hammer it, inducing wheelspin, slow a little, hammer it, wheelspin etc. That style of driving will increase motor temps especially in this weather with high ambient temps.

What voltage was this on? The ESC and lipos were cool, so if you were running high voltage, (6s) it might be under geared?

This was on 4s :)

Watching the video, the kids are seldom off the throttle, then hammer it, inducing wheelspin, slow a little, hammer it, wheelspin etc. That style of driving will increase motor temps especially in this weather with high ambient temps.

I did say the kids style was erratic to say the least lol

Rob

+1 on that ^^

If your testing for temps you need consistent runs under the same conditions. IMO dropping to a 15t pinny will to much.

+1 on that ^^

If your testing for temps you need consistent runs under the same conditions. IMO dropping to a 15t pinny will to much.

When I was running it myself up & down the road it was fine but I really need it fine for the kids too.

Rob

Ok so it's looking like my oldest lad (17) is going to convert my nitro hyper I have but "doesn't want the problem I have" his words not mine lol

He's got a sc8 esc but wants a budget (cheep) motor

Any recommendations??

I was looking at the hobbywing but not sure if he should stick with 1900kv like mine or not

Will also run on 4s like mine

Rob